Which would you choose? New ZL1 or new GT350?

Zhang

i know i'm about 1 year late, but here goes.

ZL1 without a doubt... the only thing against the ZL1 (or SS) is the look of the rear end... i would hate being in the GT350/R at the stop light, when a ZL1 driver pulls up, revs his engine, and look at me to see if I want race... on the track, i can be argued the better driver will win, but with the same ability, the ZL1 takes it.

btw, saw this about the flat crank that everyone is talking about, and thought i would share it here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/flat-plane-silliness-how-crankshaft-press-release-duped-stephen-kim
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/which-would-you-choose-new-zl1-or-new-gt350.1135509/

Last edited by a moderator:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
ZL1 for me because it's great on the track and straight line. I'm not a track guy so the GT350 would be wasted on me. Although I prefer the looks of the GT350......and of course the sound.......and the fact it has big power that is NA......Tough choice actually because I think I may have just talked myself out of the ZL1, lol. Depending on the day I suppose, ha.

EDIT: Whoops, old thread.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
ZL1 without a doubt... the only thing against the ZL1 (or SS) is the look of the rear end... i would hate being in the GT350/R at the stop light, when a ZL1 driver pulls up, revs his engine, and look at me to see if I want race...
There will always be someone faster, what would happen if that ZL1 pulled up next to a single turbo coyote?

We get it, you love the ZL1. I suspect you will crawl back under your rock when the next GT500 comes out. Before the gen 6 ZL1, the Gen 5 ZL1 was getting its ass kicked by the '13/'14 GT500.

oldmachguy

Established Member
Regarding ZL1 vs GT350: It's a great time to be a car guy, since there's something for everyone. For me, the looks, sound, uniqueness, decent acceleration (low 12's - high 11's), and great trackability give the nod to the GT350. I wouldn't sacrifice all of those plus's just to get unspoken bragging rights for the limited number of times I will pull up next to a ZL1 at a light - which for most guys will rarely result in a race; and the times it does, how much of a test of the two cars will those really be?

. . .

btw, saw this about the flat crank that everyone is talking about, and thought i would share it here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/flat-plane-silliness-how-crankshaft-press-release-duped-stephen-kim

As for the link to the article, IMO it's the article that's shining everyone on, or at least missing the point. The point isn't that the Voodoo's FPC is in-and-of-itself a unicorn; it isn't. The point is that no other production car has had a large displacement N.A. FPC engine - and for good reason, since the harmonics from a FPC present a number of problems to solve, not the least of which is NVH. Think of limiting cases, like a notional 100 cc FPC V8. Such a tiny engine, by virtue of its tiny mass, isn't going to create much of an NVH problem for a 3800 lb car. So the small displacement FPC's, most of which I believe are FI (and thus limited in their rpm limits), don't present too many problems by virtue of their FPC itself. A 5.2L engine, however, does. But it does have some very cool, and marketable, benefits. So Ford did not fool anyone with their hype of the Voodoo's FPC.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I like everything about the ZL1/6th gen Camaro, except for the damn rear fascia, it's jarring to look at.....front, sides, rear haunches are beautifully sculpted, then you get to the rear fascia and it's like a genital wart on a beautiful snapper.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I like everything about the ZL1/6th gen Camaro, except for the damn rear fascia, it's jarring to look at.....front, sides, rear haunches are beautifully sculpted, then you get to the rear fascia and it's like a genital wart on a beautiful snapper.

Badge placement is aweful on it too

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Mangrove?

NWGT500

HR213
Established Member
That was our opinion as well. Even in black we just could not get past the design of the rear. We test drove many 1SS/2SS and 4 different ZL1's. While the ZL1 anytime power was addicting the overall experience felt numb compared to the GT350. It finally came down to the ZL1 1LE or GT350 then we drove the GT350R. We choose the R.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would have to agree with the ugly rear end and I bet the GT350 will get a good look at it when the ZL1 walks him by few bus lengths lol

The front looks totally badass tho u gotta admit and them LED are the shit! Thing looks like a modern day classic.

I shud add that if were referring to the SS then id have to go with the GT350 over that. but the SS has a 6.2 motor as well so I guess one could put a Better Whipple on that and still spank the GT350 at the drag strip and the road course race.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
I think the ZL1 is a better car but the performance aspect (to me) is pretty damn negligible (dont care about straight lines) so id take the less depreciating gt350 depending if I found the right deal or not.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
I personally would get the GT350. There is something sweet about a NA V8. The exhaust note alone sells me on the car. Plus, I think the interior of the Mustang is nicer. But that's just me, the GT350 is amazing. The ZL1 is also great, but I like a good 'ol fashion NA V8. BTW, I think the GT350 looks better also.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
13yqm3m.png

This.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The rate at which new 350's are sold by original owners makes me think a 5 year old car with 5 owners won't be uncommon.
From previous owners I've spoken to, the "beat on it power" just isn't there.

I have seen a few 3 owner cars already, price caught my eye initially, then you see the 3 owner status, lol...

54389F25-B576-4A50-B3E7-D6C9CB5F73A0.png
B90CB9F8-81D6-4F8A-93D9-6EFBB50C8DF2.png

Users who are viewing this thread