Which wire kills car via alternator wires

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Trying to see if I'm thinking about this correctly. I have a trunk mounted battery and the track is requiring a manual kill switch on the back of the car.

So here's my plan, take the LT Green wire in the pics below and cut it, solder in 2 wires so I can extend the LT Green wire all the way to the back of my car. Connect the 2 wires into a kill switch. And when the switch is OPENED it will basically open up the LT Green wire.

So basically just to be SURE if one were to cut that LT Green wire the car would stop running correct?

Here's the pics
3E9BABA2-FB35-46DC-BDB1-38A31DDA494E.jpeg
5E84F9F3-58F4-4048-9CF4-C7879C5C1EBA.jpeg

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
If you cut the field wire to the alternator, the car will still run on the battery until it drains.

I would use a kill switch that cuts power from the battery and the alternator field wire as well, to protect the alternator.

Last edited:

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Field wire is the wire that energizes the field circuit inside the alternator, so it can create power. Without it, the alternator just spins and does nothing.

I cannot help you with what wire is correct or not. I believe you have the right one.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
do the rules say how it has to be cut off? I thought some of them specified if it had to be a ground kill or not

03' White Snake

Established Member
I ran 2 new power wires from my switch, 1 to the fuse box and 1 to the alternator. The fuse box wire is on the open switch side. The cutoff switch kills power to the fuse box (shuts the car off). The other power wire from the alternator goes to the always hot side of the switch and battery. So when the car is shut off, the alternator is still spinning making power for a second or so, you want the car to shut off immediately but still have a path for power in the alternator back to the battery. This is the proper way to wire it.

I ran a 2ga to the fuse box and 4ga to the alternator. You will need to remove the factory wire from fuse box to alternator too. Need to re-attach the white/red sense wire too so the battery light is not on all the time.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
How did you get that nut off the fuse box? Mine has been mangled by the previous owner. Does this HAVE to be removed?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well now that I think about it I can cut wire that's CURRENTLY on that fuse box and just extend back to the killswitch

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Actually can anyone answer me this. If I cut the ENTIRE positive side of the battery AND also the field wire to the alternator will this kill the car?

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well I can confirm this will work. Cut the field wire and disconnect the battery and the car will immediately shut off and all power is dead of course.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
So the significance about this is for those with a trunk mounted battery that have to put an external killswitch on your car this will immediately kill the car and the power. So basically you're going to want this switch here:
16C6BF5E-05CF-451A-9F81-02177E1172B3.jpeg
141A2568-7800-4BCE-8EDD-BD649273986D.jpeg

And basically you wire the small alternator field wire in between the 2 very small poles (rated for 20 amps which is plenty) and wire in the positive side of the battery on ONE end of the big poles and then exit out the other big pole to your alternator. Just make sure you've COMPLETELY "cut" the positive side of the battery when you open up the switch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread