Which suspension set-up??

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I was hoping to get some input/thoughts on the best way to set up my suspension given what I hope to accomplish with my ride. Hopefully I can get some good ideas.
As you can see in my sig, i've added some ponies and with the limited driving time i've had so far, I'm pretty happy. The "pull" is very consistent (and strong I might add) from about 2500 to 6000. I've yet to tach beyond that.

Although I haven't received my new rims I expect to add quite a bit of grip, in the rear at least with (315/35/20) Nitto's.

My questions are mostly regarding street-ability, but I plan on not only running the 1/4 mile, but a road course or two. So, my plan for suspension mods would revolve around mostly 'spirited' (country) road type driving to a track day or two here and there. My main concerns are trackion both front & rear.

I hope I've painted a clear picture of my intentions.

Thanks for the advice

Last edited:

Dave5.0

Established Member
A great setup would be the Koni Yellows combined with Steeda Ultralite springs and 05+ GT500 strut mounts. Very balanced and controlled, isn't too expensive, and rides great! Handling is great too.

Tires are also a huge deal on our heavy cars. Don't get something with a very soft sidewall, because it will flex too much under the weight. I'm supercharged too and I just put on some Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. I used to have Michelin PSS but the sidewall is too soft and it loses grip around hard corners.

Another nice thing to have is a Watts Link. If you can't shell out the coin, a good adjustable Panhard bar is nice to help center the axle. The Watts link is superior in that it won't favor right or left turns and adds to the rigidity and "planted" feeling of the rear end.

If you still need more fine tuning, slap on some good adjustable sway bars for under and over steer tuning. They also help significantly reduce body lean.

HammeredSoul

Established Member
I have Steeda Sport springs with Koni Sport "yellows". I used the FRPP bumpstop kit as well, but I still had to trim the top nubs off the rear set. I am very pleased with the increase in handling, and the ride is very good. Just a hair stiffer than factory, with none of the springiness and lack of damping. The car no longer dances through corners by itself, it stays planted.

I chose this setup because I wanted better looks and handling, without sacrificing ride quality. It definitely delivers. For the street I run 1/4 turn from full soft on all corners. If I want to, I dial it up and it gets even better in the twisty stuff. FWIW, I also have CHE LCA brackets, MM CC Plates, and UMI Poly/ball LCA's.

BMR Tech

Do you want to lower the car? If so, do you want it LOW or just slightly lower?

Tell me what your goal is, on a scale of 1-10 for each of the following:

Handling:
Straight-Line/Traction:
Comfort:

With so many parts available, I really need to know precisely what your goal is, not just a general idea.

As you may know, the better peforming suspension is typically going to be the least comfortable, and what works in a straight-line, sometimes doesn't work for cornering.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Do you want to lower the car? If so, do you want it LOW or just slightly lower?
I'd like it slightly lower, maybe an inch

Tell me what your goal is, on a scale of 1-10 for each of the following:

Handling: 7
Straight-Line/Traction: 9
Comfort: 7

With so many parts available, I really need to know precisely what your goal is, not just a general idea.

As you may know, the better peforming suspension is typically going to be the least comfortable, and what works in a straight-line, sometimes doesn't work for cornering.

You mean I cant have it all :lol1:

On the 1-10 scale, none are "OMG I gotta have______" I would like a fairly comfortable ride but I realize I have to sacrifice some ride quality to get handling.
While I want the car to handle it doesn't have to be on rails

Last edited:

NickSezz

Established Member
A great setup would be the Koni Yellows combined with Steeda Ultralite springs and 05+ GT500 strut mounts. Very balanced and controlled, isn't too expensive, and rides great! Handling is great too.

Tires are also a huge deal on our heavy cars. Don't get something with a very soft sidewall, because it will flex too much under the weight. I'm supercharged too and I just put on some Yokohama Advan Neova AD08. I used to have Michelin PSS but the sidewall is too soft and it loses grip around hard corners.

Another nice thing to have is a Watts Link. If you can't shell out the coin, a good adjustable Panhard bar is nice to help center the axle. The Watts link is superior in that it won't favor right or left turns and adds to the rigidity and "planted" feeling of the rear end.

If you still need more fine tuning, slap on some good adjustable sway bars for under and over steer tuning. They also help significantly reduce body lean.

I have to agree with this. I will be doing this to my personal car soon along with some other goodies.

A Watts Link is great for an aggressive street driver and road course warrior. It will cure your car from the "rear end wiggle" when turning over bumps as well as keep the car tracking straight on hard launched with tire spin. Like stated above, left and right turns will also feel more consistent.

The Watts Link replaces the panhard bar and brace. The PH bar locates the axle under the chassis. When the axle moves up and down, the PH bar setup allows it to also move side to side, hence, the wiggle feeling.

panhard_displacement.jpg

Once a watts link is added, the axle will only be able to move up and down giving you, the drive, better control over the car.

ctrp_0811_10_z+stock_car_dynamics+watts_link.jpg

Out of all the Whiteline Watts Link units we sold, every customer was more than satisfied. There is no added noise in the cab, just a much more planted Stang :thumbsup:

2005-2014 MUSTANG WHITELINE WATTS LINK - 2013 MUSTANG WATTS LINK-KDT916

Call for "special" pricing ;-)

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Resurecting this today ( see what I did there)
I've updated my suspension a bit. 1" drop up front (plus the added bonus drop from the weight of the S/C) and 1.5" out back. BMR LCAs and UCA & adj PHB. Handling is improved but not exactly where I want. I'm not going to go with a Watts but was thinking beefier sways would help some more.
Anyone have any success with that route? Sizes? Brands? Suggestions?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Resurecting this today ( see what I did there)
I've updated my suspension a bit. 1" drop up front (plus the added bonus drop from the weight of the S/C) and 1.5" out back. BMR LCAs and UCA & adj PHB. Handling is improved but not exactly where I want. I'm not going to go with a Watts but was thinking beefier sways would help some more.
Anyone have any success with that route? Sizes? Brands? Suggestions?

Ive had great success with the Whiteline front and rear sways coupled with the Whiteline watts link. Their sways are solid sprung steel so they are stronger then the hollow ones offered by other brands. And with 4 holes of adjustability you cant lose. My car handles great, and the Whiteline bushings are 2nd to none. no noise and no need to continually lube them.

Users who are viewing this thread