1996 Cobra
68k miles
Longtubes
H-pipe
Flowmaster
RAI
4.30s
Tune

What I'm looking for is the safest route possible, very conservative tune, and maybe at most 380rwph. I'm looking to stay away from the 400 or 450 area. This is my only car so I do not want to grenade it.

Based on what I've read here and other places, I'm a little concerned with the Centri set-ups b/c of how much power they make and the fact that you have to spin them high take advantage of your power. On the other hand, the Kenne Bell set up makes less power (which seems safer?) and doesn't have to spin high rpms but it doesn't have an intercooler.

So what should I go with? Is the kenne bell a "safer" option simply b/c I won't be running much boost or high horsepower?

Thanks!

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Both can be ran without major issues, its all in the tune.

Centri Pros:
- Less instantaneous load on motor
- Higher adiabatic efficiency (Produces lower IATs)
- Higher power in higher RPMs
- Higher power producing potential
- Ability to further reduce IATs via intercooler setup
- Easier to control boost through wastegated setup (those wanting more power in the lower RPM range could pulley down to start building boost sooner and bleed off excess boost past a threshold, shifting power curve to the left)

Centri Cons:
- Lack of torque on demand in lower RPMs (Boost is linear w/ RPM, but can be remedied w/ a wastegated setup)
- Tapping the oil pan (Vortech V1 & V2 models, V3 is self-lubricated)

KB Pros:
- Instant power throughout the entire power band
- Ease of install (no potential oil pan tapping if running Vortech V1/V2 units)

KB Cons:
- No intercooling
- Higher IATs
- Lower abiabatic efficiency
- Lower power producing potential for fully built motors before maxing blower specs

* Both systems can also be ran with methanol injection to further reduce IATs.

This list is not comprehensive but says it all. There are multiple ways to achieve your goal. Both are reliable, but also require supporting modifications to run.

Your best bet is to find a Vortech SC-Trim with stock 3.6'' pulley. This a 5-6 psi kit and will put you right around 380-ish rwhp with supporting mods. This unit was specifically designed for the 4v modular Cobras with stock motors. It is essentially the same as the Vortech S-Trim unit, but a section of vanes are cut from the impeller, this reduces CFM produced per RPM approx 900 rpm behind the S-Trim unit. Both still have the same specs, but the SC-Trim can be spun a little faster due to this modification.

nomoretickets

Established Member
ZeroDCX pretty much nails the analysis. Your best bet is a centri at 5-6 psi. I understand your focus on HP numbers, but the RWHP number is only part of the story as far as safety and reliability goes. On a B-Head car, a centri setup just offers you way more options as far as managing boost and IAT's with the only serious drawback being less low end than with a KB set up.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
dang it guys! ha

I basically talked myself into the KB 1.5 based on a lot of reading on this website...kind of like the idea of a fun street car vs a high rpm centri track car.

Guess I need to reconsider

ZeroDCX

Established Member
There is no right or wrong answer, it fully depends on what you want out of the car. Its your car and at the end of the day, regardless of what anyone else says, you'll be the one driving it. So build it to your liking. Just know the PD blowers for B-headed 4Vs have their limits in comparison to centris though. Take sometime to think hard about it. The last thing you want to do is invest a couple thousand dollars in regret.

mean96svt

Established Member
dang it guys! ha

I basically talked myself into the KB 1.5 based on a lot of reading on this website...kind of like the idea of a fun street car vs a high rpm centri track car.

Guess I need to reconsider

I'll take that 1.5 off your hands

96 Cobra 4.10s, koni yellows, subframe connectors, anti-roll bar, short throw

mean96svt

Established Member
lol

I haven't purchased anything yet...I am actively looking though!

Yeah I wanted a cheaper supercharger like a KB 1.5 or 1.7 but I can't find ANY

96 Cobra 4.10s, koni yellows, subframe connectors, anti-roll bar, short throw

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I've been running a 1.5 KB for several years. Was able to get a complete kit that was basically nos and got it fairly cheap. Done all the normal supporting mods and relocated the IAT using a Lightning sensor. Safe tune on 6 psi it's been real fun on the street. I mainly just drive it to cruise ins and shows so it's worked out real well for me. I would consider the KB especially if you can get it cheap.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I installed a 2.1L Kenne Bell on my last '94 (5.0) and a Vortech V-2 on my current '94 (5.0) and I am having way more fun with the Centri setup. Neither options on my setup can be intercooled without building a custom kit from scratch. My Kenne Bell heat-soaked like a MF'er and maybe I could get a few good pulls in before noticing a substantial loss of power. If you go with the KB I'd highly recommend doing a water/meth kit while you're at it.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Why the 1.5 and 1.7?

Get the 2.1!!

Personally, just from what' i've read and been told, use the 1.5 with the stock internals.

I've been running a 1.5 KB for several years. Was able to get a complete kit that was basically nos and got it fairly cheap. Done all the normal supporting mods and relocated the IAT using a Lightning sensor. Safe tune on 6 psi it's been real fun on the street. I mainly just drive it to cruise ins and shows so it's worked out real well for me. I would consider the KB especially if you can get it cheap.

Awesome! That's great to hear, and that's in line with what I've read around the interweb. Do you have any videos of your setup?

If you go with the KB I'd highly recommend doing a water/meth kit while you're at it.

Yeah I wanted to stay away from it just b/c of price, but I guess I may have to get one.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Yeah I wanted to stay away from it just b/c of price, but I guess I may have to get one.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Snow Stage 2 kit myself. There's a reputable eBay vendor who sells the kits new for a significant discount compared to what they list for on Snow's website. Not only will you be able to make more power (increase timing) but you'll make it much safer! Well worth the extra $400.

Here's a great thread showing the benefits of meth. He has almost the identical setup to mine and saw an increase of over 70 rwhp and significantly lower IAT's after installing his kit and having the car tuned. Again it's a pushrod but the same concept applies! I intend to use my washer fluid reservoir for the water/meth tank.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-95-tech/2275578-finally-made-some-power-today.html

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Snow Stage 2 kit myself. There's a reputable eBay vendor who sells the kits new for a significant discount compared to what they list for on Snow's website. Not only will you be able to make more power (increase timing) but you'll make it much safer! Well worth the extra $400.

Here's a great thread showing the benefits of meth. He has almost the identical setup to mine and saw an increase of over 70 rwhp and significantly lower IAT's after installing his kit and having the car tuned. Again it's a pushrod but the same concept applies! I intend to use my washer fluid reservoir for the water/meth tank.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/94-95-tech/2275578-finally-made-some-power-today.html

yeah, I think I'm a little different than most here....I'm not looking to squeeze out alot of power from the 1.5...I'd personally be happy with 360-380rwhp. I will however get the meth kit if it makes the entire setup safer and protects the weak internals of my stock motor.

I'm looking for a little boost that is as safe as possible (as far as boosting a stock engine goes).

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I would absolutely recommend it regardless of how much power you're looking for. Even if you don't increase the timing to take advantage of the lower IAT's, it'll certainly keep your motor safe and also provide you with a much better driving experience (heatsoak).

crazycarlo

Established Member
I always laugh when I see people say you have to spin a centri high to make power. When I had my 98 with the S trim I was making full boost by 3K epically in first and second gear. It was a fun ride and I had the stock gears.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
That's interesting...

What was "full boost" at 3k rpm and the setup? If you were making "full boost" at 3k then you were also producing more boost as rpm increased. You know as well as I do that centrifugal blowers tend to produce power in a linear fashion with rpm. This is why I also suggested a wastegated setup.

Users who are viewing this thread