Which springs.. supersport or racing???

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
want to lower my car and i have narrowed it down to the h&r springs but which should i get. still have 17's on car if it matters... feedback would be appreciated

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
I would go with SS. Then again they'll say to cut them too.

just saw my friends cobra who had raciing h&r but he was sitting on 18's and had an insane stance. i figured since im on 17 still i should go with the ss just to make up the room. need that mean stance but would rather stay away from cutting the stock springs even though that is cost efficient.

CBrowning84

Established Member
Dude just cut em! Full coil on the fronts and 3/4 coil on the rear is a perfect stance and sits pretty much exactly like the H&R! Heck if you don't like it, then you can buy the H&R's lol :beer:

Do a search on here for the cut springs thread and see how many people did it and what it turned out like. Also you can get some awesome instructions at American Muscle on how to take em out, etc. ;-)

(I was going to buy the H&R's and did a lot of research before I cut mine and i've been extremely happy ever since I cut mine!) Save the money for mods! :beer:

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
18s vs 17s have the same overall tire height.... H&R race to me are better as they have a stiffer rate and the drop is as low as it needs to go lol.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
Dude just cut em! Full coil on the fronts and 3/4 coil on the rear is a perfect stance and sits pretty much exactly like the H&R! Heck if you don't like it, then you can buy the H&R's lol :beer:

Do a search on here for the cut springs thread and see how many people did it and what it turned out like. Also you can get some awesome instructions at American Muscle on how to take em out, etc. ;-)

(I was going to buy the H&R's and did a lot of research before I cut mine and i've been extremely happy ever since I cut mine!) Save the money for mods! :beer:

You def have a good point... Good enough that I think I will do what you suggest cause your car stance is mean. I will look at the instructions indeed but I'm just short on tools. (pretty much don't have any.. I know very sad but I'm workin on it) and money for modding is always good! And you're right if I don't like them I'll just buy the springs. I'll try and do this this weekend if I get time. Hopefully installing my exhaust system Wednesday which I will be learning how to do that as well.. By the way what happened to the sale of your cobra?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Race. I have SS springs and the car looks nice (it's VERY low), but doesn't handle all that well. We are having a GTG down this way soon, come on down and I'll be happy to show you. In fact, I might even be willing to sell them to you if you want, I'll just buy a set of race springs to replace them.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
H&R Race, I have 17's up front and 18's in the back and I love it. It's low enough and it gives for a tight handling car.

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
i cut mine. if you need help let me know

iight cool man. i def will need help. red poison is going to help and teach me how to put on the exhaust when it gets here tomorrow. and i def want to get the springs cut this week as well but just dont have the proper tools and big enough garage really really appreciate the helping hand man.. hit me up on the cell ill pm you with the #

CBrowning84

Established Member
You def have a good point... Good enough that I think I will do what you suggest cause your car stance is mean. I will look at the instructions indeed but I'm just short on tools. (pretty much don't have any.. I know very sad but I'm workin on it) and money for modding is always good! And you're right if I don't like them I'll just buy the springs. I'll try and do this this weekend if I get time. Hopefully installing my exhaust system Wednesday which I will be learning how to do that as well.. By the way what happened to the sale of your cobra?

Thanks man! The whole process was easier than I expected, just takes some time.
How To Install An H & R Mustang Race Spring (1999-2004 Cobra) - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com

Ended up selling the cobra to a guy in canada :beer: paperwork has taken a long time and the deal is still in process, but should be taken care of soon.

iight cool man. i def will need help. red poison is going to help and teach me how to put on the exhaust when it gets here tomorrow. and i def want to get the springs cut this week as well but just dont have the proper tools and big enough garage really really appreciate the helping hand man.. hit me up on the cell ill pm you with the #

Just FYI but you'll have to remove the back half of the exhaust to get to the IRS to change out the rear springs. I'd honestly lower the car first, or even lower it and install the exhaust the same day. :beer:

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
Thanks man! The whole process was easier than I expected, just takes some time.
How To Install An H & R Mustang Race Spring (1999-2004 Cobra) - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com

Ended up selling the cobra to a guy in canada :beer: paperwork has taken a long time and the deal is still in process, but should be taken care of soon.

Just FYI but you'll have to remove the back half of the exhaust to get to the IRS to change out the rear springs. I'd honestly lower the car first, or even lower it and install the exhaust the same day. :beer:

ok thanks for the info.. ill def see if we can get the springs cut as well as putting the exhaust on at the same time... im in the process of polishing the exhaust right now hopefully ill have it done by saturday. good to hear you sold it.. i really like your cobra a lot.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Race for sure, I love mine! It might of made more sense to put this in the terminator section though...Maybe :shrug:

Afghanman

03 SB Terminator
Established Member
Race. I have SS springs and the car looks nice (it's VERY low), but doesn't handle all that well. We are having a GTG down this way soon, come on down and I'll be happy to show you. In fact, I might even be willing to sell them to you if you want, I'll just buy a set of race springs to replace them.

im going to just try out cutting my springs first before or if i go to coil overs or springs. thanks for the offer though... dont know if i can make the event you were talking about but i will def be at the college park event i believe on may 2nd

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
im going to just try out cutting my springs first before or if i go to coil overs or springs. thanks for the offer though... dont know if i can make the event you were talking about but i will def be at the college park event i believe on may 2nd

Why not! Try some cut springs to see how you like different ride heights and then base your judgement off that...I like it. Thats what I did with my 01GT. Cut my springs until I found what I liked then bought Supersports and messed with them till I got it right (mainly in the rear)...that's what she said.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread