Which Replacement Battery?

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Hey Guys,

Im in need of a replacement battery. My stocker is going bad after 3 years of Vegas heat. Which do you guys run/recommend? Ive been looking at the Optima Red Top but have been getting mixed reviews about fitment issues and possible early failures. If i need to ill just get a replacement motorcraft but wanted to check with others here to see what they are having success with and if there are any issues with the red tops in the 2011+ GT500s.

Also, for those that might be running the Optima, which series are you using? the 35 is what seems to be common among 2011+ cars.

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Its a nice battery, but 300 bucks is kinda high imo. Im not super concerned with weight. I was just wanting a reasonably priced battery that can stand up to daily use and provide a better initial start up than the stocker.

- Aj -

Established Member
Might as well go with Motorcraft then. 3 yrs free/prorated for 100 months.

Kenneth

Established Member
Motorcraft replacement. they changed the part number from oem, but I believe it has a little more cold cranking amps now.
Oriellys autoparts has them.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I went with the Optima Red top on my 07...hot Texas desert, 5 years now, no problems, but if my battery goes out this week you owe me a beer ;-)

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
I have an optima red top on my fox and a yellow top on my Shelby. Red top was purchased march of 2007 yellow top November 2011. The fox sits for several weeks to a month without being started no battery tender and I've never had a failure. The Shelby is an on and off daily driver and also never a battery failure or issue. If my red top ever goes I'll replace it with another, 7 years and still works great!

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I have an optima red top on my fox and a yellow top on my Shelby. Red top was purchased march of 2007 yellow top November 2011. The fox sits for several weeks to a month without being started no battery tender and I've never had a failure. The Shelby is an on and off daily driver and also never a battery failure or issue. If my red top ever goes I'll replace it with another, 7 years and still works great!

JBN, what is the part number for the Optima yellow top installed in your Shelby? Any fitment issues? I am looking to install one in my 08.

VNMOUS1

Established Member

bossnova3

Established Member
If weight isn't an issue go with sears platinum AGM batteries, the warranty and quality far exceeds even the optima's you won't be dissapointed

CentralTexHemi

Established Member
Don't laugh but Duracell makes a pretty damn good battery for your car you can get at battery plus for $99

I myself am looking at Stinger SPP1500 or and Odyssey, the Sears Platinum battery line is made by Odyssey if you want one now.

Last edited:

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
JBN, what is the part number for the Optima yellow top installed in your Shelby? Any fitment issues? I am looking to install one in my 08.

Part number is D35

10306229_711600932232640_8240732807401377460_n.jpg

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Part number is D35

Cool, thanks! I have my IC pump and HE fans wired to a switch so I can run them at the track with the ignition off, which is why I am interested in the deep cycle yellow top.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Motorcraft replacement. they changed the part number from oem, but I believe it has a little more cold cranking amps now.
Oriellys autoparts has them.

^^^I think you are right about the higher rating of the oem replacement. The oem assy. line battery many times is more of an entry level battery to get the car through a 3/36 warranty bumper to bumper warranty. The replacements through Ford parts are also "Motorcraft", but I believe they are not the same specs as the assy. line Motorcraft.

R

Users who are viewing this thread