Which Rear end 8.8 or go 9".....?

BUCKET

Established Member
What's the corse of action with a set of 15s on these things and power?

Throw a carrier, gears, axles and weld the tubes (has anyone hurt that setup yet)

Or 9" it and call it a day?

I have some plans after TX2k and feel this maybe on the required list sooner than later.

Currently the rear is boss LSD setup with 3.31s. But hearing that carrier setup not all that great at 1/4s.

Shiken_Feddas

Established Member
What are your end goals? Will you still drive this on the street or even DD? More info is needed to give appropriate advice.

Most people have great success with a built 8.8 as do I. Welded tubes(done correctly), Eaton Tru Trac, and a girdle suffice for most. Big hp and serious race duty you would want to consider a 9".

Eric@jpc

Established Member
8.8 holds up well with the right mods

All depends on what your trying to do i guess

The 9 inch has a better selection of rear gears.

what do you want to use for brakes?? ABS?

personally i would keep the 8.8 for cost reasons and you can use the stock brakes and keep ABS i would just go 35 spline and spool

BUCKET

Established Member
Minus the spool I think that's what I'm leaning toward Eric. Still plan to road trip the hell out of the car.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Minus the spool I think that's what I'm leaning toward Eric. Still plan to road trip the hell out of the car.

dont be scared of the spool :beer:

its just hard to move in tight spaces but you dont even notice other wise

if your dead against spool you need to do a 31 spline option since there is only 1 diff for 33 and none for 35

the 33 spline diff is $$$$1100

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
What power level are guys breaking the stock 31 spline axles? Would strange or moser replacement 31 spline axles suffice or do you need to step up to 33 or 35s?

BUCKET

Established Member
dont be scared of the spool :beer:

its just hard to move in tight spaces but you dont even notice other wise

if your dead against spool you need to do a 31 spline option since there is only 1 diff for 33 and none for 35

the 33 spline diff is $$$$1100

Hmmmmm. Man, I'm used to old rod days of a spool being a nightmare on the street. For sure need to weld the tubes before TX. Axles and carrier prob after.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
What power level are guys breaking the stock 31 spline axles? Would strange or moser replacement 31 spline axles suffice or do you need to step up to 33 or 35s?

drag radials tear them up quick

I wouldnt say there is a power level but i think they will last you at 550-600 ish for awhile

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
drag radials tear them up quick

I wouldnt say there is a power level but i think they will last you at 550-600 ish for awhile

Underpowered cars ftw! Stock axles all day! (with some arp hardware. lol)

Thanks Eric, appreciate the input :beer:

Torchy

Established Member
31 spline nothing is going to work for you. Lesbiahonest. Bare minimum you'll need 33 spline and that carrier Eric is talking about.

D.T.R

Established Member
This is something i am also keeping an eye on. I'm afraid that the bone stock rear end eventually is going to give... and given that i will drive the car to work and groceries sometimes during the week (i have another car for DD, but i like to drive the mustang to work twice a week lol) ... so i'm not sure how streetable a spool is, i never rode in a car with one...
Eventually i want to build the 8.8... and like said above keep stock brakes, abs, etc. not to mention the 8.8 is lighter.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
The stock 8.8 is pretty stout. Usually people only break the diff. I know plenty of people on the 8.8 that cut .2s and .3s without issues. I would not worry to much. A diff swap and maybe a 31 spline upgrade (moser or stange) and you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread