Which Radial do I get?

Bryanh24

Established Member
Hello! So I'm takin the stang to the strip this weekend and cannot decide on which drag radial to get. I have my 18x8 5 spoke stock rims laying around read that I can use them to throw radials on to. I have been looking at the 275/40-18 Nitto Nt05's.. not sure how good those are. Also these will be ONLY for the track. So what tires do you recommend for the stock 18 x 8 rims for the strip? Lmk! Thanks!

Troponin

Established Member
If this is a tire that is strictly drag strip, go with an actual slick, more specifically, one from Mickey Thompson. Those DRs you're referring to are DOT approved tires and they don't perform as well as a slick because they were designed for street conditions.

Bryanh24

Established Member
If this is a tire that is strictly drag strip, go with an actual slick, more specifically, one from Mickey Thompson. Those DRs you're referring to are DOT approved tires and they don't perform as well as a slick because they were designed for street conditions.
What size slick?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Unfortunately you won't be able to find a full slick or even a bias ply drag radial from MT with an 18" rim. You'll need a 15 or 16.
Your limited in selections, the only 18" ET Street R is too tall and wide. Your options would be the Hoosier 245/40/18. Where did you see a 275 NTO5R? The smallest I know of is the 285/40? that would be pushing it on the oem rim for width and it's tall at 27".

Bryanh24

Established Member
Unfortunately you won't be able to find a full slick or even a bias ply drag radial from MT with an 18" rim. You'll need a 15 or 16.
Your limited in selections, the only 18" ET Street R is too tall and wide. Your options would be the Hoosier 245/40/18. Where did you see a 275 NTO5R? The smallest I know of is the 285/40? that would be pushing it on the oem rim for width and it's tall at 27".
So would the 245 Hoosier be my best bet? And I'll hook well with it at the track? Cars only got longtubes CAI and tune.. no fi.

Bryanh24

Established Member

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Also... the stock height for the rears is 27.3". With the 245 Hossiers the height is 25.7". Will that be normal? Will it just look funky and that's it? I am lowered 1.5 inches so that may help. Just wondering.
You'd have more tire options with 17 inch rims, you could probably find a take off pair from a mustang for cheap on Craigs List. Or call Nitto and see what they say about putting a 285 on that rim, they suggest a 9.5-11" on their website. Height wise that would be better. I currently have the 1st generation Mickey ET Street on my Cobra, it's the 275/40/17 on my stock 17X8 rim but that specific tire is known to be a bit thinner width than others.

Bryanh24

Established Member
You'd have more tire options with 17 inch rims, you could probably find a take off pair from a mustang for cheap on Craigs List. Or call Nitto and see what they say about putting a 285 on that rim, they suggest a 9.5-11" on their website. Height wise that would be better. I currently have the 1st generation Mickey ET Street on my Cobra, it's the 275/40/17 on my stock 17X8 rim but that specific tire is known to be a bit thinner width than others.
Alright.. So I decided the BS and start looking for some drag star rims, specifically 15x8 bc I dont want to relocate sway bar. I have the 3.31's in my car and wouldn't want to shift into 5th at the end of the strip. To go with the 15x8 drag wheels, what would be my best choice for a slick? I read that a slick is much more forgiving for a manual so that's what I am going for. What size slick would best fit my needs?

Users who are viewing this thread