Which pulley size?

snkebyte

Established Member
I know this question has probably been beat to death, but I have an o4 cobra with catbacks & jlt CAI. My son bought me a 2.8 steeda upper pulley for xmass. I know I will have to get a shorter belt and possibly a belt tensioner. My question is do I or should I need any extra cooling parts? I don't want to have to spend a lot of money or would I be better of getting a 2.9 pulley. I noticed that steeda only sells 3.1 or 2.8. Which should i get.
Thanks.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Do you plan on having the car tuned? If not I would go with the 3.1, I have heard of people running smaller pullies off the stock tune, but it's not the best idea imo.
You don't need any additional cooling mods but they definatelty wouldn't hurt, i'm sure others will chime in and give you some additional information/experience.

snkebyte

Established Member
I will be getting it tuned. I guess my question is if i went with the 2.9 do i need any extra cooling mods. it is a weekender car. I don't race it just like to get on it every once and a while.

CobraRyan

Banned
stock tune is rich but its not that safe to run a smaller pulley without getting tuned for it...get at least a 2.93 if not then a 2.8 then get it tuned

snkebyte

Established Member
I am going to get a tune wether using a 2.8 or 2.9. My question is "Will I need any adittional cooling parts with either pulley?" I have heard with 2.9 I do not but i would with the 2.8. Is this tru?

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
If i just left it with the catbacks & JLT CAI would there be any advantage to a tune?

You will get some more power out of it with the tune having only intake and exhaust, but not enough to make it worth the money. If you plan on having it tuned, put the 2.8 you have now on there and then have the tune done. You'll love the sound the blower makes with the pully :rockon:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
You don't have to have any but better/more cooling mods are always a good idea on these cars.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
With either size pulley, you'll be spinning the stock eaton beyond its 14,000 rotor rpm efficient limit once you exceed 5000 engine rpm's. That means the blower will be heating the air intake temps. much higher after compressing the air, referred to as IAT2 temps. It would be to your advantage to lower these temps. as much as possible so a more efficient heat exchanger over the stock unit is definetely recommended!

CobraRyan

Banned
since you sound so worried about cooling mods you should send your supercharger out to steggy for a stage v and have them put a 2.76 on there for you...while your eaton is over there do the evenflow head cooling mod....

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Do i need any extra cooling with the 2.8 pulley?
I know you want a yes or no answer to this question but it just depends upon who you ask. For the just the ocassional stab of the accelerator through a few gears I don't think you need to worry about it. Things like bigger H/Es and cooling mods help the car recover faster from back to back pulls. Personally I would run a 2.93 because there's almost no chance of maxing out your fuel system or MAF meter. I would tune and verify the car whether you pulley it or not.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
since you sound so worried about cooling mods you should send your supercharger out to steggy for a stage v and have them put a 2.76 on there for you...while your eaton is over there do the evenflow head cooling mod....

^+1 the port will improve performance by making the blower more efficient and will definately keep those temps down a bit. As stated previously cooling mods are always recommended but now a must, you could always do the cooling mods down the road. And since you it's more of a weekend car and not something that gets beat on it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

snkebyte

Established Member
Thanks for all the help! Just out of Curosity, What numbers would you think I would have with the Magnaflow Catbacks, JLT CAI, 2.8 pulley and tune?

Nutty 5.0

Established Member

Great idea! That's what I would do if I were you, the OP.

02reaper

Established Member
Thanks for all the help! Just out of Curosity, What numbers would you think I would have with the Magnaflow Catbacks, JLT CAI, 2.8 pulley and tune?

Just had my car done yesterday at Amazon tuning Solutions. 04 Cobra with K&N drop in, removed silencer, 2.8 upper pulley, and magnaflow catback, Amazon tune put down 479/479 fully warm.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I will be getting it tuned. I guess my question is if i went with the 2.9 do i need any extra cooling mods. it is a weekender car. I don't race it just like to get on it every once and a while.

I had the 2.90 upper (Reichard Racing UltraGrip). We have hot summers up here. Heat was never a problem. IF I was racing it would be different, and the factors that AnversyRedVert brings up would be more important. Actually keeping the boost to around 13-14 lbs. (ie. with the 2.90) although you're spinning the blower faster at higher engine RPMs, the IAT2 temps are not going to be high enough to be a concern under normal conditions. Exception being, though, if you're racing at the track. But beyond that, faster rotor speeds start increasing heat to where they're now more a concern. Porting the blower helps a bit, if you have the extra money. But for a quasi-daily driver you'll be fine. When you have some extra money an aftermarket heat exchanger is a good mod regardless.

For the record, with a 2.90 upper and the other basic mods (stock blower of course) I made 457/480. Pretty healthy. And a ton of fun!

Users who are viewing this thread