Which pulley combo should I get!?

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Ok SVTP guys and gals, I need some help. I need to figure out how much boost some pulley upgrading will create on my setup.

First my setup: Disregard my sig, its old and I haven't updated it yet. My current setup it: V-2 T trim with aftercooler, 3.125'' pulley, stage 2 comp cams, stock crank pulley, exhaust with long tubes, no cats and magnapacks, 8-rib setup and an Anderson Powerpipe. I actually have no idea what my current boost level is because I am running an inadequate bypass valve that holds no boost. I upgraded my S trim to a T trim when it needed a rebuild, but with the S trim I was making 11psi. I made about 530+whp on the daily driving street tune, and made 547whp nearly maxing out my fuel system. I have since upgraded my fuel system with a 340 fuel pump and KB BAP. I have been told the direct swap for the T trim would increase the boost to about 12 psi with the 3.125" pulley, but I do not know this for sure.

Now for the questions: First, I want to make 575-585 rwhp. From what I have read, 15 psi should do it (but if anyone knows/thinks different, feel free to post!). Now, what pulley combo should I do to get that power/psi??

- I was thinking just swapping a 3.00'' pulley in for my 3.125 to get that boost/power level, but it would it be enough? Also, I know there may be belt slip issues. I know I can upgrade the crank pulley to an overdrive pulley to help belt slip, but as all of y'all know, overdrive pulleys are 4 times the price of a blower pulley. Would a RR 3.00'' pulley get belt slip? From what I have read, with my current setup, it may just be a crap shoot. Some people swear they don't slip, but some people still think a bigger crank pulley is needed with the 3.00'' RR pulley and aftercooler.

I am stuck and need some help! I really don't want to make either too much hp or too little and have to pay for more parts for the ''trial and error'' experience with re-due tunes!

I have searched and can't find anything. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Turbosnake281

Established Member
i doubt you will hit 15 psi with the full exhaust and cams with that pulley, highly doubt you would have belt with an 8rib and an RR though

Turbosnake281

Established Member
What about a RR 2.9'' or even a RR 2.8"? Also, would those be entering belt slip territory?

ive never ran a pulley that small, need someone else to chime in, how much does a RR pulley cost btw? i want to get an 8 rib set up im still running a 6rib s-trim with a 3.12 pulley and am only seeing barely 12 psi, full exhaust w/ LTs and slightly ported heads. i hate my s-trim because im fully built and want the most out of the car but it wont give it to me w/o overspinning. if the RR pulley isnt that expensive i would just run the 2.9 before forking the 450 for the iw10%, i dont like the thought of the overdrive

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
ive never ran a pulley that small, need someone else to chime in, how much does a RR pulley cost btw? i want to get an 8 rib set up im still running a 6rib s-trim with a 3.12 pulley and am only seeing barely 12 psi, full exhaust w/ LTs and slightly ported heads. i hate my s-trim because im fully built and want the most out of the car but it wont give it to me w/o overspinning. if the RR pulley isnt that expensive i would just run the 2.9 before forking the 450 for the iw10%, i dont like the thought of the overdrive

Kinda in the same situation. I don't want to put an overdrive pulley on. The RR pulleys are around $120 bucks for a brand new one.

Turbosnake281

Established Member
Kinda in the same situation. I don't want to put an overdrive pulley on. The RR pulleys are around $120 bucks for a brand new one.

dude then run the RR 2.9, you have an 8rib i wouldnt worry about belt slip, you will get the max rpm out of your t-trim, you will definitly see 15-16 psi, you have the fuel system for it, im sure your built, so get the most out of your money. just upgrade your stock vortech heatexchanger and pump if you havent already, run the gatorback belt, make sure your tensioner is up to par. i know it sucks the get on the dyno and have to stop and reschedule bc of some bs, it has happened to me before, it ****ing sucks monkey balls.

confirm this with a few people first and your good

JP_Stang

Established Member
Vortech has an impeller speed calculator on their website under tech support I believe. I am not sure if you will get belt slip or not being you have an 8 rib setup. I personally have a RR 3.0" blower pulley with a 10% overdrive and I am still concerned I will have belt slip, but I am still running a 6 rib setup for now. I am going to try to get my hands on a Thumprrr tensioner before she gets tuned on Nov. 1st.

What is exactly is your guys' issue with an overdrive crank pulley? I have never heard anyone having any issues related to the overdrive with a 10%, and only a few people have had issues with the 15% causing water system to over pressurize. Anything over 15% would have to run an electric water pump. I don't think you can go wrong with a 10% overdrive. It will help reduce belt slip quite a bit. If your not comfortable with it, then by all means don't do it, I was just curious about your concerns...

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Vortech has an impeller speed calculator on their website under tech support I believe. I am not sure if you will get belt slip or not being you have an 8 rib setup. I personally have a RR 3.0" blower pulley with a 10% overdrive and I am still concerned I will have belt slip, but I am still running a 6 rib setup for now. I am going to try to get my hands on a Thumprrr tensioner before she gets tuned on Nov. 1st.

What is exactly is your guys' issue with an overdrive crank pulley? I have never heard anyone having any issues related to the overdrive with a 10%, and only a few people have had issues with the 15% causing water system to over pressurize. Anything over 15% would have to run an electric water pump. I don't think you can go wrong with a 10% overdrive. It will help reduce belt slip quite a bit. If your not comfortable with it, then by all means don't do it, Ijust curious about y was our concerns...

I've used the impeller speed calculator and with a 2.9 it is 54062.07 rpm, and the 3.00 is 52260. I have no idea what those numbers mean though lol.

I don't want to use a new underdrive pulley because of the price. Those things are mega expensive and they arent as easy to install. I mean they are, you just have to be more careful because of its harmonic balancing characteristics.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
dude then run the RR 2.9, you have an 8rib i wouldnt worry about belt slip, you will get the max rpm out of your t-trim, you will definitly see 15-16 psi, you have the fuel system for it, im sure your built, so get the most out of your money. just upgrade your stock vortech heatexchanger and pump if you havent already, run the gatorback belt, make sure your tensioner is up to par. i know it sucks the get on the dyno and have to stop and reschedule bc of some bs, it has happened to me before, it ****ing sucks monkey balls.

confirm this with a few people first and your good

Yeah she's buillt and has the fuel system to support it, but it is my DD. It also has 55XXX miles on the built motor, and I want this thing to last as long as possible.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I ran a 3.00'' blower pulley setup with a stock crank on a 8 rib kit, 1-3/4'' primarly LT's full O/R 3'' exhaust to 3'' dumps.. T-trim aftercooler etc etc.. I know I've told you this lol.. NO BELT SLIP I made 15-17psi depending on the weather and made 575 and 600rwhp depending on timing.. You have cams so you might see 1 psi less..

Stay away from RR pulleys they eat belts like you wouldn't believe. Get a Vortech 3'' or a Vortech 2.95''... The 2.95'' may give you 1/2 or 1 psi increase MAYBE.. You won't have belt slip issues either.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
I ran a 3.00'' blower pulley setup with a stock crank on a 8 rib kit, 1-3/4'' primarly LT's full O/R 3'' exhaust to 3'' dumps.. T-trim aftercooler etc etc.. I know I've told you this lol.. NO BELT SLIP I made 15-17psi depending on the weather and made 575 and 600rwhp depending on timing.. You have cams so you might see 1 psi less..

Stay away from RR pulleys they eat belts like you wouldn't believe. Get a Vortech 3'' or a Vortech 2.95''... The 2.95'' may give you 1/2 or 1 psi increase MAYBE.. You won't have belt slip issues either.

Yeah you told me that, but I misread that last bit! Thanks again man for all your help:beer:, I figured I'd made a post about this topic so I can stop blowing up your inbox with questions.

I actually do have a 3.00 pulley, but its a generic vortech pulley and I was worried it would slip. EDIT: I need to work on my reading skillz

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yeah you told me that, but I misread that last bit! Thanks again man for all your help:beer:, I figured I'd made a post about this topic so I can stop blowing up your inbox with questions.

I actually do have a 3.00 pulley, but its a generic vortech pulley and I was worried it would slip. EDIT: I need to work on my reading skillz

lol it's all good. I ran the Vortech 3'' pulley with no issues.. Your boost might be on the lower side since you have cams, but again maybe on 1psi.. The 8 rib kit is designed not to slip. I've seen guys run the 2.75'' with a stock 8 rib crank with no slipping.. So you'll be fine.. But again stay away from the RR pullies on our cars..

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea lol.. Unfortunatley almost everyone that I know who ran one would shred belts... A little slip is good for when you shift and it shocks the accessories lol..

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Yea lol.. Unfortunatley almost everyone that I know who ran one would shred belts... A little slip is good for when you shift and it shocks the accessories lol..

Question, what size belt should I get if, lets say I go to a 2.95'' with stock crank pulley? Would the Gates 112.4 be a good, tight fit?

Also, anyone know how to properly clean the pulleys??? Once I have my belt off and while I'm under the car, I want to clean as much of the pulleys as I can. I would imagine just a bottle of liquid Dawn, water and scrubbing, then wash all the soap off and let them air dry would work, but I want to be extra careful.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
98 Saleen Cobra started a thread that has become a "Sticky" that should give you Many combo examples and answer all questions...

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
98 Saleen Cobra started a thread that has become a "Sticky" that should give you Many combo examples and answer all questions...

I've checked it out and it has given me good ideas, but nobody listed exactly what I need: the belt length with a 2.95" on an aftercooled V2 for a SN95 Cobra with a stock crank pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread