Which Optima Battery?

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Oh? Thought the yellow tops were better? Anyway, which red top? Anyone using those? I thought there was someone on these forums using them. I'm considering a battery relocation and I don't really feel like installing ventilation on the box, so I'll go with the Optima. My understanding is that they don't need ventilation.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I want to know what Optima to put in the trunk too.
I'll be installing a stereo system at some point.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
red top is basically the same thing you have in the car now, except it can be mounted in any position and, as i understand it, does not need a vent tube. The yellow top is deep cycle, and blue is a marine battery.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Which size should we get? Does it just go by dimension? Which ever one matches? They don't have a car chart up on their site. I guess I can e-mail them.

exssive

Established Member
I'm using the red top. I had to place a wedge to secure it in using the stock setup.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Dont buy optima they're junk. I have had 2 fail in 2 different cars within 18 months of installation.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Originally posted by exssive
I'm using the red top. I had to place a wedge to secure it in using the stock setup.

Which red top? There's 4:

34 Red Top™

34/78 Dual Terminal Red Top™

75/35 Dual Terminal Red Top™

6V Red Top™

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
I want to know what Optima to put in the trunk too.
I'll be installing a stereo system at some point.

Use a yellow top for car audio and a red for the car battery. Use an isolator in between them.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Does anyone know which one of the yellows or which one of the reds? Or how to determine which one we need?

Lprimo

PhotoChop Cookie Masta
Established Member
Originally posted by gchronis
Does anyone know which one of the yellows or which one of the reds? Or how to determine which one we need?

I Have to Red Top as my primary Battery...run a Yellow Top in the trunk in series if you want extra power for Stereo...the Yellow Top is a Deep Cycle battery, Red Top is a cold cranking Battery...Both are gel filled and are mantaience free. I've had my Red Top in two vehicles Z71 and now my Cobra....Best battery I ever owned.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/products/starter/index.asp

Last edited:

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
In Series? What the hell? That's going to get you 24 Volts. Are you sure about that? I'm no mechanic but I think you're gonna start burning stuff. Is this what you guys do? Anyway, I'm not going to have a stereo other than the stock, so I don't really care for a second battery. My only motivation is handling improvements and I still want to know which Red or which Yellow people are using. I think I'm just going to install some venting in the box and use the stock battery, at least until it dies. I'm too confused with the Optima line and I don't see why I should replace something that ain't broke.

SVT03Snake

Originally posted by gchronis
In Series? What the hell? That's going to get you 24 Volts. Are you sure about that? I'm no mechanic but I think you're gonna start burning stuff. Is this what you guys do? Anyway, I'm not going to have a stereo other than the stock, so I don't really care for a second battery. My only motivation is handling improvements and I still want to know which Red or which Yellow people are using. I think I'm just going to install some venting in the box and use the stock battery, at least until it dies. I'm too confused with the Optima line and I don't see why I should replace something that ain't broke.

Exactly........ Just use the stock one untill it dies or what I would do is just get the red top battery since that is the CCA one and store the stock one for back up, or to make it origional down the road...........:coolman:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread