Which ones?

High_Ram

Established Member
My 99 is in need of new tires and shocks/struts. The car is currently stock, aside from Eibach pro-kit springs. This is a weekend car and will primarily be driven in the canyons.

I'm looking at Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s or Micheline Pilot Super sports. I also eventually plan on putting MM coil overs. What shocks/struts do I get in the meantime? Koni SA or MM? Since I'm going to be using the Eibachs until I have money for the coilovers, should I go with the Koni adjustables, or go with MMs?

Other suggestions for tires and suspension is welcomed!

I plan on doing the FTBR bushing kit as well.

Thanks!

FIREBALL

Established Member
On Tires,-------------- Best bang for your buck are these Continentals
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+Sport partnum=545WR7ECS

Maximum Summer performance tire that has good reviews for street and track and has a better ride than most of the others except for Michelins , Ill be going with these Continentals in the next 6 months----one of the few tires that are available in 255/45/17s and has great reviews and great price.

Those Firehawks are good bang for your buck also, and maybe a better track tire but they will not be as good as the continentals when it comes to ride and noise.

Last edited:

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
My 99 is in need of new tires and shocks/struts. The car is currently stock, aside from Eibach pro-kit springs. This is a weekend car and will primarily be driven in the canyons.

I'm looking at Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s or Micheline Pilot Super sports. I also eventually plan on putting MM coil overs. What shocks/struts do I get in the meantime? Koni SA or MM? Since I'm going to be using the Eibachs until I have money for the coilovers, should I go with the Koni adjustables, or go with MMs?

Other suggestions for tires and suspension is welcomed!

I plan on doing the FTBR bushing kit as well.

Thanks!

I've been running the Firehawk Indy 500s for about 3500 miles and I'm very impressed with them for the price. They are a great tire and mine aren't noisy at all. I'm in the same boat as you, my car is a weekend driver that I want to handle well in dry weather and give me decent straight-line traction... I can say the Indy 500s are exactly what I was looking for. I've gotten caught in a rain storm a time or two and they do very well in rain also. I can detect no noticeable wear after 3500 semi-aggressive miles of driving. I honestly can't say enough good things about these tires... I never expected them to be as good as they are.

If I had over 400 whp I might step up to R888s but honestly with my car being 95% stock, they hook up very well.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Go with whatever shock/strut combo you can pick up a coilover kit for. I have Bilsteins with the Maximum Motorsports coilover set up all around.

shurur

Established Member
Go with whatever shock/strut combo you can pick up a coilover kit for. I have Bilsteins with the Maximum Motorsports coilover set up all around.

this^
I say koni SA sports from MM because they do not need to be modded for CO like the (B8) bilsteins do.
But MM sells bilsteins with the groove cut for a CO kit later..

Mm also sells their own custom Bilsteins as well..just make sure you get the groove cut prior to buying them or you will be sending them back to MM to have it done later.

Last edited:

High_Ram

Established Member
Awesome info guys!

I want to get the MM Bilsteins, just because they’re MM! Haha! But the Koni SAs are cheaper. However, I don’t want to be adjusting them...

Users who are viewing this thread