Which kit to vacuum drain and fill coolant system?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Would rather not do multiple drain and fills to get the coolant out for an event.

What do y’all recommend?

Or what’s the easier way to get damned near all of it out, would rather not dick around with freeze plugs or anything

Coolant crossover is gone so no worries about that.

Last edited:

olympic

Established Member
It's pretty much impossible to drain everything so here's what I would do: open the thermostat housing and remove the thermostat, that'll drain most of the system. Then flush the system with water through the crossover fill port and expansion tank. If you can get one of the heater core hoses off and flush the core that should get you to about 99% of the coolant removed. Then just re-install the thermostat and fill with water.

After the event, drain the system via the thermostat housing, re-install and refill with coolant. Remember to adjusting your mixture for the fact that some water will still be in the system.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm not sure about the draining part, but I've used this to fill my cooling systems for a few years. I would like to get one that doesn't require changing the hoses between vacuuming and filling at some point.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ya apparently draining it with one of those systems isn’t a thing

I just don’t have anywhere I can flush that much fluid out and capture it all, not gonna let all that coolant run out so I guess a couple drain and fills it is. Just gonna pull the lower radiator hose out

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
this is the correct way to do it...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
this is the correct way to do it...

i was hoping for a way to completely evacuate the system, which is why I got my hopes up based on the name but its really just talking about getting the air out of the system. I have crossover delete and filling the system is easy as can be, haven't had any issues with air pockets

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure about the draining part, but I've used this to fill my cooling systems for a few years. I would like to get one that doesn't require changing the hoses between vacuuming and filling at some point.

Can’t click that link for some reason, what’s the make/model?

01yellercobra

Established Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_095220_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_095220_Samsung Internet.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 22

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i was hoping for a way to completely evacuate the system, which is why I got my hopes up based on the name but its really just talking about getting the air out of the system. I have crossover delete and filling the system is easy as can be, haven't had any issues with air pockets
oh yeah i thought that was an actual vacuum fluid exchange machine which is what you want. i think those are available though, not sure about price-wise

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ended up doing this - have the bottom half of the coolant crossover delete pointed straight up with the radiator drain plug removed.

After it drained I put 3 gallons through before it started coming out mostly clear. I’ll put it back together without the thermostat, fill it up and let idle for a few minutes and do it again.

IMG_3160.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread