Which job position/shift would you choose?

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
So here's my dilemma, I'm finishing my degree in Business Management in two months and have two opportunities to choose from as we speak and both are full time in good companies. I have 10 years mechanical design experience and only 1 year supervisory experience but want to continue down that route which is more or less why I choose Business Management for my degree. So the options are.....

1) 1st shift job for my experience
2) 2nd shift job for my degree (more money, etc.)

I know you have to start somewhere and gain experience which is the only reason I'm not considered for the first shift supervisor position which is also available. Actually, they are going to hire internally (from second to first) which will open up a second shift job and that's where I'll fit in. But personal life will suffer, I haven't worked 2nd since I was 23 years old (15 years ago) and now am married with a 14 year old in the house.

Gonna be a tough decision, just seeing what you guys would choose. I'm not sure when another opportunity like this will arise and trying to see how long the 2nd shift may be until I can get bumped to first. I'd be more than okay with a year or so but don't want to be stuck for years on end.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I've never liked second shift personally. No time to really do anything, especially if you're working a 10 or 12 hour shift. It's first or third for me (so first since third isn't an option).

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Do what you need to do to advance in the direction you are wanting to end up. I've worked plenty of oddball hours over the years. Your kid is old enough to where they can understand why you would be taking on odd hours.

If your company hasn't done anything to convince you that you would be trapped in the position for a long time, then go for it.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I will find out full details Wednesday morning, I personally don't want to work second but know sacrifices will have to be made. BUT, the one appealing thing about second is the mother-in-law has to move in with her dog this month, this will be a good opportunity to avoid most contact, lmao. But that also proves true with the wife and little one unfortunately.

Money does talk as well but is not the top priority in this matter, it's about gaining experience which seems to be the only reason why I wasn't considered for the first shirt job according to internal feedback from HR.

Plus both jobs are in town, I've been driving 45-50 minutes one way for the past 10 years so that's a bonus regardless.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Have you discussed this with your wife? What is she feeling in this?

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Take both jobs
I'm thinking of it, lol.

Any clue as to how long you would have to work the 2nd shift?

Anyone close to retirement, etc....?

I just asked someone I know on the inside as we just had two of these positions pop up on first the past month, she said that was rare and more than likely I'd be on 2nd for a while.

Have you discussed this with your wife? What is she feeling in this?

She has been supportive since day 1 and will tell me to choose whichever I feel I need to, she's had to work 2nd shift, weekends, etc for a while after she got her RN degree. I'll just have to play it by ear after I get details on Wednesday. It's gonna be a tough call, I really like my weekday nights, normal schedule, etc but almost to a point where I don't want to due what I've been doing and will be a nice change of pace and in the right position for me. Almost may have to flip a coin.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I wish you the best with your decision. I had to work a second shift for a couple of years back when my son and daughter were very young. I took it because it was a great opportunity. I worked for a large printing company that introduced personalization to the industry, and was a web press helper. We had a small computer room with two employees that converted names and addresses provided by our customers into a personalized format for printing onto the web press forms. One person on each shift. The second shift guy went to Florida and I was offered his job. I knew it had great potential since there were only two of us and I would have my own shift. Well, 3 years later I was offered a job in the production office, because a production supervisor overseeing printer personalization. A couple of years later I was promoted to manager and given complete oversight of their new computer room which now had just under 20 employees and 3 shifts. So, think future! Think in the long run. It might make being slightly inconvenienced now well worth it. JMO.

king nothing

Established Member
Ive worked 1st shift, which i prefer. Ive worked 3rd, which is not too bad. But I would NEVER work 2nd, especially with a family. you would never see them.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Ive worked 1st shift, which i prefer. Ive worked 3rd, which is not too bad. But I would NEVER work 2nd, especially with a family. you would never see them.

Seems right, I work 10/4 rotating second shift and I never see the people or do things besides eating and sleeping

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
If it was a short term thing 6-12 monthes I would take the second shift. Anything longer than that, I would take the first.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
If it was a short term thing 6-12 monthes I would take the second shift. Anything longer than that, I would take the first.

This is what I'm thinking! Gonna find out details Wednesday, we'll see how it goes. :shrug: I don't want to miss out on any important family time at all and know I will but could sacrifice for a little while to get to where I want to go.

Ace5Oh

Established Member
I'm kinda in the same boat. Talked to other company's which will give me more money for going with them but only problem is 6pm to 6am 12 6 days a week. Right now I'm at 6am to 6pm 6 days a week. I want to expand and learn more so I might go and work nights I want to make more money. Time to get serious, and time to buy my house. It doesn't really matter for me I'm 24 n single. I've done 1 year on nights and it wasn't that bad honestly for me.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
best shift I have EVER worked was 4-10s second shift. I would take a pay CUT if I could get that shift again

I'm thinking of it, lol.

I just asked someone I know on the inside as we just had two of these positions pop up on first the past month, she said that was rare and more than likely I'd be on 2nd for a while.

She has been supportive since day 1 and will tell me to choose whichever I feel I need to, she's had to work 2nd shift, weekends, etc for a while after she got her RN degree. I'll just have to play it by ear after I get details on Wednesday. It's gonna be a tough call, I really like my weekday nights, normal schedule, etc but almost to a point where I don't want to due what I've been doing and will be a nice change of pace and in the right position for me. Almost may have to flip a coin.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just don't be short-sighted with your decision. And it sounds like you're definitely not. You're looking at the whole picture, and what the future holds with each choice. I completely understand about not being inconvenienced, family-time wise, for too long a time. But it would be a mistake to pass on the better job long term if it meant working a second shift for a max of one year. As I said in my earlier post, me taking that 2nd shift and working it for 2 years was one of the absolute smartest decisions I ever made. After that break, I never had to work a night shift again.

UncleDan

Established Member
I work 2nd shift at a data center. 2pm-10pm, Sunday-Thursday. By far the best hours I've ever had. No traffic going in, and no traffic going home. Getting to dodge the daily grinder 9 to 5'ers is sooo freakin nice. The extra sleep is very good too.

Users who are viewing this thread