Which Idlers Should I Order?

blownfox

Established Member
Hi All,

I just purchased my first 03 Cobra and it should be arriving in the next day or two! It is a stock blower car with a 2.76" BF upper with idler. I would like to replace the three factory SC idlers. Trying to see if there is a benefit going with dual ball bearing versus the BF idlers. I won't order anything until the car is here but I am creating a list. They are mostly suspension and cooling mods!

http://www.lethalperformance.com/billetflow-03-04-cobra-snub-idler-bracket-w-4-idler-pulleys.html
http://www.lethalperformance.com/metco-motorsports-4-piece-idler-kit-w-dual-ball-bearing-idlers.html

rymax101

Established Member
I went with BF to match my upper pulley. Been running the idlers for couple thousand miles with no problems. I would say the belt is more important than the idlers. I have a GATES HD belt. Make sure you buy the part # with "HD" at the end.

oldmodman

Established Member
Metco hard anodized dual bearing.

And if you can wait until the big Christmas sales you should be able to find them for up to 20% off.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I went with BF to match my upper pulley. Been running the idlers for couple thousand miles with no problems. I would say the belt is more important than the idlers. I have a GATES HD belt. Make sure you buy the part # with "HD" at the end.

I disagree. When my stock idler grenaded it shredded my green HD gates belt like it was made of tissue paper. 4 years later I'm still picking out tiny pieces of belt from random spots in the cars engine bay. I upgraded to the dual bearing Metco setup. 3 90's and 1 100mm I think. Or is the the other way around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I should have gone with Metco dual, but I was cheap.
Single bearing idler will have shorter bearing life. replaced bearings after 15k miles.

Edit: Holy smokes they are expensive now @#$!

Last edited:

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Metco here, and I would go the the Gatorback belt, I never like the Gates Green belt, my car would just eat them like candy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Metco hard anodized dual bearing.

And if you can wait until the big Christmas sales you should be able to find them for up to 20% off.

This! Long term, you'll be very happy with the Metco idlers. Great looking, too.

blownfox

Established Member
Alright Metco it is! Thank you everyone for all your help...I have alot of learning to do!

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I did metco dual bearings last month... The added stability is worth the piece of mind. Plus I'm 600 plus hp I want it as strong as possible. I did all 90 mm and the auxiliary sc pully was already on the car I will be switching to metco shortly.

Look at the tensoner plate as well it's cheap and a good mod.
Metco makes it

Users who are viewing this thread