Which hood should i buy???

99RedSVT

Established Member
I realy dont care about weight being a issue.Are trucks already weigh a ton lol..That was a great link with all the hoods on it.. thanks

02HD#09051

PISSONFORD
Established Member
My favorite hood is the Pro Glass cowl, but they only made 10 of them. But they sold the molds to Keystone, and are being produced again.

99RedSVT

Established Member
Its going to be a hard decesion all these hoods are sweet looking.

Last edited:

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by 99RedSVT
I realy dont care about weight being a issue.Are trucks already weigh a ton lol..That was a great link with all the hoods on it.. thanks

Weight is a concern with fiberglass hoods but there are also other concerns! It will undoubtedly cost you more to PREP and paint a fiberglass hood. Sometimes fiberglass has a wavy look that is noticible. Fiberglass can crack, etc. over a fairly short number of months/years. Metal hoods fit better overall. With a metal hood you can, without problem, use the stock hood lifts. I am sure there are other pluses to a metal hood.... Fiberglass hoods are a very good alternative though, do not get me wrong but metal is the better way to go. Doubt me, ask any auto body guy that is reputable and be honest with you.

Wanted to mention when you get these hoods (metal or fiberglass) painted, the fenders should really be painted / blended in especially if you have a metal flake paint lets say like the '03 L Dark Shadow Gray Clearcoat color. This is necessary if you really want to do the job right. (For metal flake colors) If you do not blend in the fenders you will undoubtedly have what they call " metal flop" . Painted part does not match in certain light, certain light angels, etc..
Also, do know that if you blend the fenders you will have to buy two new Lightning emblems as the ones presently on the truck will have to be pulled when the fender blending is done and then new emblems with new adhesive put back on. The Lightning emblems can be had on eBAY for about $20+- a piece.

Last edited:

02HD#09051

PISSONFORD
Established Member
44700012.jpg

99RedSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by BillArf
Weight is a concern with fiberglass hoods but there are also other concerns! It will undoubtedly cost you more to PREP and paint a fiberglass hood. Sometimes fiberglass has a wavy look that is noticible. Fiberglass can crack, etc. over a fairly short number of months/years. Metal hoods fit better overall. With a metal hood you can, without problem, use the stock hood lifts. I am sure there are other pluses to a metal hood.... Fiberglass hoods are a very good alternative though, do not get me wrong but metal is the better way to go. Doubt me, ask any auto body guy that is reputable and be honest with you.

Wanted to mention when you get these hoods (metal or fiberglass) painted, the fenders should really be painted / blended in especially if you have a metal flake paint lets say like the '03 L Dark Shadow Gray Clearcoat color. This is necessary if you really want to do the job right. (For metal flake colors) If you do not blend in the fenders you will undoubtedly have what they call " metal flop" . Painted part does not match in certain light, certain light angels, etc..
Also, do know that if you blend the fenders you will have to buy two new Lightning emblems as the ones presently on the truck will have to be pulled when the fender blending is done and then new emblems with new adhesive put back on. The Lightning emblems can be had on eBAY for about $20+- a piece.

I agree with ya im preolly going to have the fenders painted as well. But ill let the paint place tell me that.But to tell ya the truth my trucks paint is in really good condition. I wash and wax it every saturday.But ill most likely get the fenders painted cause on the fropnt left one looks like some one used alittle touch up paint to cover up a blemish.You cant tell unless i point it out but still going to have them fix it so the truck is perfect. We also have a 67 stang which we just had repainted and we decided to put a fiberglass hood on and it really turned out great. So i dont know which hood im going to go with. I get paid next week for all the over time ive been puttin in so ill decide when i get paid. Put ill post pics of it when its done..

Users who are viewing this thread