Which helmet to use for open track

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Originally posted by falcon65
Having been in motor sports racing for the past 35 years and a SCCA National Licensed Instructor all of the points made above are EXTREMLY IMPORTANT!

I've driven everything from Showroom Stock Sedans to GT-1 full bore 185 MPH racers.

I would never get in any car for competition without:

1. Full Face 2000SA Snell Approved Helmut-Simpson, Bell, Shoei, etc.

2. At least a 5 point harness with submarine strap.

3. Nomex underwear, socks, gloves, hood and 2/3 layer Nomex SFI3A-5 Suit

4.Nomex high top driving shoes

5. Window net or arm restraints

6. Fire system-covering me, engine and fuel cell

7. At least a 4 point roll bar preferably an 6/8 point cage...either bolted or welded in place.

Like someone mentioned above...you can never have enough safety gear when you go out onto the track. Why take chances with the only body you will ever have.

Just my humble opinion.

Terry C

Terry,

I agree with you, except the bolt in roll bar (sorry). The bolt in bar, is like someone wearing jeans and cotton shirt. It looks OK, but doesn't provide the same protection as a welded in bar, or driving suit. I've NEVER been on track without a welded in six point cage or better. The bolt-in bars are only as strong as the bolts. My life is worth more than a few bolts & washers.

I have been on track, in the old days, without a driving suit, and felt naked, even at just a O/T event, because it was hot, and they weren't inforcing the rule. But then I was STUPID . I would rather sweat from the outside temps, than burn from a fire.

A few more pennies here.

Gene

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Originally posted by falcon65
Having been in motor sports racing for the past 35 years and a SCCA National Licensed Instructor all of the points made above are EXTREMLY IMPORTANT!

I've driven everything from Showroom Stock Sedans to GT-1 full bore 185 MPH racers.

I would never get in any car for competition without:

1. Full Face 2000SA Snell Approved Helmut-Simpson, Bell, Shoei, etc.

2. At least a 5 point harness with submarine strap.

3. Nomex underwear, socks, gloves, hood and 2/3 layer Nomex SFI3A-5 Suit

4.Nomex high top driving shoes

5. Window net or arm restraints

6. Fire system-covering me, engine and fuel cell

7. At least a 4 point roll bar preferably an 6/8 point cage...either bolted or welded in place.

Like someone mentioned above...you can never have enough safety gear when you go out onto the track. Why take chances with the only body you will ever have.

Just my humble opinion.

Terry C

Terry,

I agree with you, except the bolt in roll bar (sorry). The bolt in bar, is like someone wearing jeans and cotton shirt. It looks OK, but doesn't provide the same protection as a welded in bar, or driving suit. I've NEVER been on track without a welded in six point cage or better. The bolt-in bars are only as strong as the bolts. My life is worth more than a few bolts & washers.

I have been on track, in the old days, without a driving suit, and felt naked, even at just an O/T event, because it was hot, and they weren't inforcing the rule. But then I was STUPID . I would rather sweat from the outside temps, than burn from a fire.

A few more pennies here.

Gene

P.S. BTW, my next helmut will be full face with a head & neck restraint system. Still deciding which one. I need some direction.

Last edited:

kevin

Originally posted by Cobra R Man

P.S. BTW, my next helmut will be full face with a head & neck restraint system. Still deciding which one. I need some direction.

i can only say, that the pro's that have been interviewed after an acident (especially a fire) felt the hans was a handicap when it would hang up.

i prefer the isaac as it tends to protect in any direction and is great neck support.

falcon65

Established Member
Terry,

I have been on track, in the old days, without a driving suit, and felt naked, even at just an O/T event, because it was hot, and they weren't inforcing the rule. But then I was STUPID . I would rather sweat from the outside temps, than burn from a fire.

A few more pennies here.

Gene

Gene,

I agree with you 100% and the only reason I mentioned bolt in bars/cages is that I had used Autopower cages for years as SCCA wouldn't allow a weld in cage in Showroom Stock until recently.

Some of the guys with "street cars" do not want to weld in a cage so I only suggested a bolt in cage in lieu of not having anything.

Speaking of "old days" in my first drivers school all we were required to have was a helmut and a "flame retardent" cotton suit. No gloves, underwear, etc. Of course that was in the days before Nomex!

Guess I am dating myself here! :lol::lol:

I do not have any experience with the head restraint systems so can't offer any comments there. However, Jay Wright here in Houston has developed a very safe system for a reasonable cost. He has done extensive research on the issue. If you are interested I will get the info for you.

Regards,

Terry C.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
I am interested in something. Issac, Hans, etc. I might have to rent them (helmut set up), to see what I want. Maybe I could try them in my car in my shop at home this off season. I think Issac offers that, and at track.

Yes, please send info.

Gene

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
toofast:

I am fairly tall also (just not quite as tall as you) and found I had to recline the seat slightly to keep my helmet off of the headliner. I suppose I could remove the headliner but just have not done so as yet. You don't want to be too far from the pedals or steering wheel either. You will have better leverage being closer to the wheel. Just make sure there is enough room down below to maneuver your feet. Driving shoes help a lot as far as foot room goes because they take up much less space. I got caught for the first time last Saturday morning in the car, ready to go out and discovered I forgot to put my driving shoes on! :bash: I taught myself how to drive in Rockports and it was not an easy task!!! I don't know how Lew does it??? ;-)

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

I tried to drive my car today with my helmet on and I am to damn tall. I don't know what I am going to do. I have tried to move the seat back and recline it, but I still hit the roof even when I am out of position.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I tried to drive my car today with my helmet on and I am to damn tall. I don't know what I am going to do. I have tried to move the seat back and recline it, but I still hit the roof even when I am out of position.

seat???

Time for a racing seat. It will bolt to the floor, and give you more room, and stability.

$.02 for sure

Gene

Users who are viewing this thread