Which helmet to use for open track

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
What helmet do you recommend for open track use. Any other safety equipment I should do at the same time.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Midwestern Council makes me wear a head sock since I have a beard.

While not required as a safety device, I prefer wearing my simpson driving shoes to my hiking boots when on the track. They are DRIVING shoes. Not walk-around-the-paddock shoes. The soles wear quickly.

I like my Alpine Star gloves, but they cover up the wristband that denotes tech inspection/attendance at the drivers meeting.

Current setup for me is:
Closed face helmet, with shield removed
Head sock
Neck support doughnut
Long sleeve t-shirt
Jeans
Driving shoes
Gloves
Instructor [I am undisciplined and tend to over drive the car without an instructor next to me]

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I wear a full face Simpson. Go somewhere where you can try the helmets on to see how they fit. Don't try to do a helmet via mail order/internet sales.

Good Luck!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
My biggest concern is in my normal driving position which lets me drive 10-2 on the wheel and shift without having to raise either shoulder off the seat I don't have that much room between my head and the headliner. I am 6'4" and my head is so close that when I wear a regular baseball hat the bill does hit the headliner. So I am going to have to change my driving position with a helmet on. I want a full face helmet, but there are so many different types I don't know which is the best for this application and what options and features are really desired.

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Here are some “minimum” items with explanations:

-Current Snell rated full face helmet (Dispite Earnhardt’s insistance that his open face helmet was the safest in racing, the lack of full face protection was determined to be a factor in his death. The full face helmet also gives you additional fire protection)

-Put the face shield down or use eye protection (I didn’t worry about this until I got something in my eye while on track) :eek:

-Driving Gloves (It was explained to me that these are your ticket out of the car if its on fire)

-Driving shoes (Depending on your shoe size and type these can be a safety item)

-5/6 point harness only if you have a rollbar or cage.

-Long sleeves and pants provide some burn protection compared to bare skin.

Good luck and have fun...

93SVTCobra

Established Member
This is not directed at you Todd - I hear everyone say that you shouldn't have a harness unless you have a rollbar because if you roll the car it could crush you but I really wonder how realistic this is. If a car is on it's roof the likelihood of you being able to lean out of the way if the roof crushes is slim to none.

Just my opinion.

P.S. Long shirt and pants are a must as well.

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Mark, I actually tend to agree with you on this but most everyone preaches that you must have roll protection… I wonder if anyone can sight any cases where this was actually an issue or if its just theory? We have this discussion at Solo 2 events all the time. Another factor is how safe is it when a driver is unable to stay correctly positioned in the seat as they navigate the course?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by toofast4u
My biggest concern is in my normal driving position which lets me drive 10-2 on the wheel and shift without having to raise either shoulder off the seat I don't have that much room between my head and the headliner. I am 6'4" and my head is so close that when I wear a regular baseball hat the bill does hit the headliner. So I am going to have to change my driving position with a helmet on. I want a full face helmet, but there are so many different types I don't know which is the best for this application and what options and features are really desired.

toofast:

I am fairly tall also (just not quite as tall as you) and found I had to recline the seat slightly to keep my helmet off of the headliner. I suppose I could remove the headliner but just have not done so as yet. You don't want to be too far from the pedals or steering wheel either. You will have better leverage being closer to the wheel. Just make sure there is enough room down below to maneuver your feet. Driving shoes help a lot as far as foot room goes because they take up much less space. I got caught for the first time last Saturday morning in the car, ready to go out and discovered I forgot to put my driving shoes on! :bash: I taught myself how to drive in Rockports and it was not an easy task!!! I don't know how Lew does it??? ;-)

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
I use a Bieffe Predator. Some of the features you might desire are, Nomex liner, wide face opening if you wear glasses, venting, light weight…
As Bruce stated, you can recline the seat a little to give yourself more headroom or you could get a performance seats that sits lower in the car. I’m sure Mark could help you with that…

Andy M

Established Member
I have a Simpson Bandit full face helmet lined with Nomex. I also just recently purchased a HANS device and used it with my helmet the last time at the track a couple of weeks ago. I personally would NOT use an open face helmet. I also wear a Nomex head sock under my helmet. Plus, I also wear a dual layer Nomex suit (one piece) and Nomex high top shoes. Next purchase is Nomex socks and underwear. You can NEVER have too much protection for your skin if and when you have a fire inside the car!!!

1993R

Established Member
I use a Bell M3 custom painted by Axcell Fast Graphics, Simpson Shoes and Gloves. Long Sleeve Underwear instead of a long sleeve t-shirt. I can take it off between sessions. 5 point cam lock harness but I have a cage.......

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
The people ragging on schroth 4pt harnesses like I use claim that its bad due to minimal anti-submarining capabilities. and then in the same breath they talk about the rollover. if i've submarined, my head isnt rubbing the roof anymore. that said, i dont run them on the street.

Midwestern Council REQUIRES 4pt or better in modified classes and up, but doesnt require rollover protection in modified classes. I've yet to have a tech inspector bounce me or instructor refuse to use the 4pt harnesses I run with. Quite the contrary. They thank me.

Originally posted by 93SVTCobra
This is not directed at you Todd - I hear everyone say that you shouldn't have a harness unless you have a rollbar because if you roll the car it could crush you but I really wonder how realistic this is. If a car is on it's roof the likelihood of you being able to lean out of the way if the roof crushes is slim to none.

Just my opinion.

P.S. Long shirt and pants are a must as well.

kevin

regardless of the helmet manufacturer, be sure you get a S2000 rated helmet (you can use a s1995, but it will be outdated in 2005). the sticker can be found inside the helmet under the liner. you want s because it's fire rated (the m rated helmet is for motorcycles and rated for impact. most clubs/groups won't allow an m helmet).

aside from the items mentioned by others, since you drive with an open window - a window net or arm restraints (i know, i know, you guys are gonna say i'm going to far, but wait till someone rolls their car and an arm flails out the window when the car rolls over with your arm out there).

also, i know andy just started using the hans device, i use the isaac device (see my sig links). you can do with out the neck donut and get head and nesck restraint support (i've been using it close to two years now and love it).

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Originally posted by kevin

aside from the items mentioned by others, since you drive with an open window - a window net or arm restraints (i know, i know, you guys are gonna say i'm going to far, but wait till someone rolls their car and an arm flails out the window when the car rolls over with your arm out there).

Kevin brings up a good point here. Many years ago in the late 60s my family operated a 3/8 mile dirt oval. We did have a driver lose his left arm when he rolled. It is a natural relex to try and stop yourself from falling over. When he went over he put his arm out to stop himself from going over. Unfortunately, he lost his arm when that happened.

Tom

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
As mentioned, definately go for a snell SA2000 rated closed face helmet....

Proper fit is also a priority! I have the mq helmet that is a very light (3.1 lbs) carbon kevlar design....I went to driving impressions/ompusa here in NJ and tried on several brands and sizes, and this one fit the best....just my luck, it was the most expensive one, but it fit and felt better than any of the others, so I went for the extra dough....I was fortunate to have them only a 45 minute drive from me, because different brands' sizes ran all over the place....hopefully there's a race/safety shop near you with lots of helmets in stock to try on!

griffined

SVT driver
For my NASA HPDE and Shelby Club events, I wore jeans and long sleave cotton t-shirt, plus a full face helmet, Nomex lined racing gloves, and Nomex lined racing shoes.

I bought a Halon fire extinguisher which is mounted to my harness bar. I don't have harnesses yet, but I also use the bar for my camera mount.

Ed

falcon65

Established Member
Having been in motor sports racing for the past 35 years and a SCCA National Licensed Instructor all of the points made above are EXTREMLY IMPORTANT!

I've driven everything from Showroom Stock Sedans to GT-1 full bore 185 MPH racers.

I would never get in any car for competition without:

1. Full Face 2000SA Snell Approved Helmut-Simpson, Bell, Shoei, etc.

2. At least a 5 point harness with submarine strap.

3. Nomex underwear, socks, gloves, hood and 2/3 layer Nomex SFI3A-5 Suit

4.Nomex high top driving shoes

5. Window net or arm restraints

6. Fire system-covering me, engine and fuel cell

7. At least a 4 point roll bar preferably an 6/8 point cage...either bolted or welded in place.

Like someone mentioned above...you can never have enough safety gear when you go out onto the track. Why take chances with the only body you will ever have.

Just my humble opinion.

Terry C

Users who are viewing this thread