Which fuel kit?

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
Looking at upgrading my fuel system. Im starting with a kit first.Im running a KB 2.6H and wanting to run 24psi with E85.I have found 2 deals on brand new in the box kits.Both Lethal Performance Division X kits. What is the pros and cons or what you guys would reccommend? The kit that comes with 3 255 Walbro Pumps or 2 465 Pumps?

TRBO VNM

I wouldn't run either setup with all the pumps running all the time. Too much heat in the fuel. I assume these are in the market?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
You can run a hobbs switch or a controller that only turns on the 2nd or 3rd pump when it see's a certain PSI for forced induction applications. Otherwise the pumps are pushing fuel at full steam constantly. This can cause heat in the fuel though with the 255's I wouldn't expect it to be much of a worry and only if you drive long distances in either. I personally had Glenn's Performance set me up with a kit. It was 200-300 bucks more than making one myself but fuel is one place I didn't want to go cheap in.

TRBO VNM

Running just a couple walbro 342's isn't a big deal. Add a third and you should considering a switch on one at least. And with the 465's, oh hell yeah I would only run 1. Fore has done the testing. The amount of heat the pumps put out and temps they increase the fuel to in short periods of time is crazy. That is all Fore does is fuel components and why I use them.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member

Tractionless1

Established Member
I wouldn't run either setup with all the pumps running all the time. Too much heat in the fuel. I assume these are in the market?

According to what I've read on Modfords by Eschaider there's no issue with octane loss with E85 when running pumps full time. Only an issue on 93 oct. etc.

OP, you can prob. get the best price at Lethal during a sale and with July 4th coming I'm sure they'll be having one this weekend.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Still going to recommend Glenn's. I don't like the series style/dead head way the Lethal kits are run. I also prefer Fore Reg and I prefer triple AEM's over the Walboro's.

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
Nightmare whats the reason you would rather running AEM instead? Also are you saying 2 AEM instead of 2 Walbros or go with 3 AEM instead of 2 Walbros?

TRBO VNM

Here is the pump heat data from JPC.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?867105-Triple-pump-vs-Dual-Pump-Heat-Test!

I prefer to trust Fore's data over JPC. I haven't read JPC's and not planning on it. Fore specializes in fuel components only.

I don't see anything alarming with heating the fuel running dual 405/465 pumps. From what I can see it wouldn't be anywhere near 'boiling' the fuel. For what the 465 pumps cost now, it's a no brainer to go with those IMO.

FWIW, I've run dual 340's and now dual 465's and have no issues with my fuel being too hot.

According to what I've read on Modfords by Eschaider there's no issue with octane loss with E85 when running pumps full time. Only an issue on 93 oct. etc.

OP, you can prob. get the best price at Lethal during a sale and with July 4th coming I'm sure they'll be having one this weekend.

I am not talking about octane loss, just heat generation. Based on personal experience with fuel heat issues and being stranded, I prefer to play it safe.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Nightmare whats the reason you would rather running AEM instead? Also are you saying 2 AEM instead of 2 Walbros or go with 3 AEM instead of 2 Walbros?

Three AEM's. Just google search and try to find a failure on one of those pumps. You won't find one. They are designed for E99 and have proved they work with ZERO issues in the corn. They also run cooler and don't have the high pressure blow off issues that the current gen of 465's have.

TRBO VNM

Three AEM's. Just google search and try to find a failure on one of those pumps. You won't find one. They are designed for E99 and have proved they work with ZERO issues in the corn. They also run cooler and don't have the high pressure blow off issues that the current gen of 465's have.

All I have been using lately are the AEM 50-1200's. Really like those pumps.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
What is a high pressure blow off issue?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
What is a high pressure blow off issue?
It's when you run high base fuel pressure and the pump see's pressure above it's relief valve and so the pump blows off the pressure. It's only in high base pressure applications but it's still a design flaw that walbro is working to correct.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
How high is high? I run 50psi base. Can you point me to any threads or other info discussing this issue?

http://foreinnovations.blogspot.com...d-max=2015-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=2

Bottom of the page. It's not really a worry unless you are running 60-80 base and large amounts of boost. My only point is that the AEM's are/were better designed. I will never have that high of base pressure nor will most Cobra owners but it's still something that I consider data that shows the AEM's were superiorly designed.

Users who are viewing this thread