Which diff fluid.

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
the rear diff does not have a drain plug right? Do you have to pull the cover off to change fluid?

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Just wanted to make sure and buy enough. How long should it take to do the fluid exchange?

It will take almost 2 full quarts.

I run Royal Purple 75W140, and no added friction modifier.

I assume you are sucking the old stuff out.. this whole process should take less than 30 minutes.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
At 26K miles, I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it. Unless you're running open track events and really heating up the differential, you're probably fine for another 30K miles or more.

At less than 15K my stock fluid was very thin, and was destroyed. These diffs run over 220 F just driving down the highway. I'd change the fluid every 15K or sooner with a good quality synthetic.

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
or swap out to an aftermarket cover like i did, has a drain and fill hole on the backside, although the drain hole is the only useful one. the fill hole is right next to the gas tank.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Conventional gear oil I would use Rotella 85w-140 (I use this with my Truetrac) and change it every 5000 miles. Synthetic I would use Mobil1 or Amsoil if you still have the clutch type differential.

I wanted to use a Synthetic with my truetrac but Eaton strongly recommended against that, so I use the conventional gear oil and change it often. Its nice to have a drain on my LPW diff cover. The Rotella stuff is cheap at Walmart (3 bucks a quart) and carries some very impressive specs.

I changed my diff fluid at 100 miles, 250 miles, 500 miles and 1000 miles.(after truetrac and 4.10s) I used conventional 85w-140 valvoline because walmart was out of the Rotella and I developed a whine between 40-45 mph on decel. I put Rotella in and it stopped the whine. I was really upset because I took my time setting these gears up and the pattern was spot on. So yes I agree with mu22stang, gear oils can have different noise characteristics. Even with aluminum differential bushings I still have a very slight whine. But the Rotella was the smoothest and quietest I have used in any differential.

EDIT:

I almost forgot, Redline is also a great choice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread