Which cobra to buy? $$

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Though I'm partial to #2, that #1 has fewer miles and finding a Laser Red car at this point that hasn't turned pink yet would have me choosing it. Both look to be pretty nice, though.

Moco cobra

I agree. Paint is in great shape that red pops real nice. I would definitely throw some black wheels on her..I love black on red.

98SVTContour98

Established Member
All the 4.30 haters! I have 4.30s w a t45 (flowmaster 10s) and love it....I work from home so I only drive it a couple times per week though so I'm a little biased lol

Tough choice here OP, both look like great options, if you are staying N/A for a long while, then I would probably choose Option 1. I'm not too familiar with the T56, but if the T56 combined with 4.30s is a good set-up (you'd have to do some research i suppose), then I might go Option 2 and save the extra cash for some more upgrades. A buddy of mine had a 96 with C-Heads/Intake, t56 swap and 4.56s...it pulled haaaaard.

FYI - I'm not sure you will see 350rwhp unless you do FBO plus Cams and long-runner intake...might even require a C-heads/intake swap as well, but maybe not.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing! :)

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Regarding Option 2, I don't like that the pics are of the car wet...i've seen this done to hide imperfections, additionally the ad says "extras" and then list a bunch of parts...just want to make sure those parts are actually "installed"

Moco cobra

All the 4.30 haters! I have 4.30s w a t45 (flowmaster 10s) and love it....I work from home so I only drive it a couple times per week though so I'm a little biased lol

Tough choice here OP, both look like great options, if you are staying N/A for a long while, then I would probably choose Option 1. I'm not too familiar with the T56, but if the T56 combined with 4.30s is a good set-up (you'd have to do some research i suppose), then I might go Option 2 and save the extra cash for some more upgrades. A buddy of mine had a 96 with C-Heads/Intake, t56 swap and 4.56s...it pulled haaaaard.

FYI - I'm not sure you will see 350rwhp unless you do FBO plus Cams and long-runner intake...might even require a C-heads/intake swap as well, but maybe not.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing! :)
Haha "don't fear the gear" I've heard that plenty. If I only planned on driving it a couple times a week Im sure if prefer the 4.30s. Only I'll be driving it almost everywhere I go, including in rain.

& Yea Im sure she'll end up with fbo + possibly headwork/heads later on.

Moco cobra

Regarding Option 2, I don't like that the pics are of the car wet...i've seen this done to hide imperfections, additionally the ad says "extras" and then list a bunch of parts...just want to make sure those parts are actually "installed"
Very true with the rain pics. As for the "extras" I'm pretty sure they are installed, but good point I'll double check.

Alegend123

Established Member
Ive kicked around the idea last night an am going to list mine later today looking for $8k if your interested buddy I've also got receipts for clutch/flywheel and most importantly the receipt from the shop that shows my compression numbers and dyno pull

Last edited:

Moco cobra

Ive kicked around the idea last night an am going to list mine later today looking for $8k if your interested buddy I've also got receipts for clutch/flywheel and most importantly the receipt from the shop that shows my compression numbers and dyno pull

I'm really looking for one in the 50-75k mile range. I appreciate first dibs though! & Good luck.

Alegend123

Established Member
No worries brother!! if you can check the compression numbers on those two before you buy please do so!! Nothing worse than finding out a cylinder is low on compression

98SVTContour98

Established Member
Haha "don't fear the gear" I've heard that plenty. If I only planned on driving it a couple times a week Im sure if prefer the 4.30s. Only I'll be driving it almost everywhere I go, including in rain.

& Yea Im sure she'll end up with fbo + possibly headwork/heads later on.

I just drove mine in the rain 100 miles round trip, i'm around 2650-2700 rpm at 70, and 3k-ish at 80mph....at 40mph in 5th i'm around 1600rpm (iirc).

Just letting you know is all, you'd have a t56 so rpm should be even lower in 6th gear.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
Compression test and in person viewing/test drives would be the decision makers for me.

Face value I would go with the black one. Cheaper and can't go wrong with black. Also the T56-Clutch-flywheel would sway me to it. T45 is a PITA to pull compared to T56. Plus you can easily upgrade to a Magnum down the road, if desired.

If the exhaust is an issue you can take the 1500 saved and buy something quieter and sell the LMs to recoup the money.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Moco cobra

I just drove mine in the rain 100 miles round trip, i'm around 2650-2700 rpm at 70, and 3k-ish at 80mph....at 40mph in 5th i'm around 1600rpm (iirc).

Just letting you know is all, you'd have a t56 so rpm should be even lower in 6th gear.
Damn, that wouldn't be too bad at all then.

Moco cobra

Compression test and in person viewing/test drives would be the decision makers for me.

Face value I would go with the black one. Cheaper and can't go wrong with black. Also the T56-Clutch-flywheel would sway me to it. T45 is a PITA to pull compared to T56. Plus you can easily upgrade to a Magnum down the road, if desired.

If the exhaust is an issue you can take the 1500 saved and buy something quieter and sell the LMs to recoup the money.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I like that logic Blu. Are the sn95's prone to losing compression? Even at fairly low miles?

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I like that logic Blu. Are the sn95's prone to losing compression? Even at fairly low miles?
Hard to say. Either way they about 20 years old. Just because they don't show they have been driven much doesn't mean they they weren't beat to hell.

My last (sold) SN Cobra had over 250k on it. The 96 odometer is pretty prone to crapping out. (Not sure about the other SN years as I tend to get Mystics.) It still had great compression. I threw a 100 wet shot on it and as far as I know my buddy I sold it to is still running it as I sold it to him. That was like 5 years ago.

The current one (have had it forever so there is that attachment) is totally unknown miles. The odometer read 191k when I got it and wasn't functioning. I ran a compression test on it and all cylinders were in the 165-170. So they seem to hold up pretty well.

Alegend123

Established Member
All depends how they were treated over the years.. if they sit a lot for long periods I'd be scared of dry starts
IMG_3664.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread