Which catch can is everyone using on their 350?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
After doing some reading it looks like a catch can or two is a good idea on these cars. My question is which one? It looks like Ford Racing has an OEM looking one for the drivers side only, or should I just go Bob's for driver and passenger? Car is a 350R that will see DD duty and maybe the track eventually.

ANGREY

Established Member
FRPP has "OEM" looking cans for both sides. They're more expensive.

I preferred the JLT 3.0 because of ease of access to the reservoir. Steeda has the cheapest can, because it's more of a generic kit that's cut to fit for the hoses and fittings.

All of them essentially feature adequate traps to separate out the suspended oil. It's just a matter of how it looks, how much it costs and how easy it is to check/dump the collected oil.

ANGREY

Established Member
Bobs is by far the most effective can

Based upon what? Are there lab tests that evaluate how much suspended hydrocarbons a bunch of competing separator manufacturers are able to achieve?

Open up each can and the design is essentially the same, create a series of velocity changes that allow the suspension to slow and drop out and capture collect through a filter media into the reservoir.

Unless someone shows real world data, I'm willing to GUESS that most of the cans perform very similar, again it's a matter of LOOK, PRICE and ease of access (which are the 3 items that differentiate each system).

WVTrakPak

Established Member
FRPP because it looks like it was there from the factory. Gonna be a little harder to access but not a significant amount of time.

Drewsky65

Established Member
+1 on the FRPP OEM catch cans, there more expensive but whatever, they look the best by far. ease of access is not an issue because were not opening them up every day or even every week. and it takes about 90 seconds rather than 30...

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
+1 on the FRPP OEM catch cans, there more expensive but whatever, they look the best by far. ease of access is not an issue because were not opening them up every day or even every week. and it takes about 90 seconds rather than 30...
The Ford Performance catch cans are excellent - I have both. To service them, it's trivial if you have a "4mm Ball End Tip Hex Key L-Wrench". You undo the four screws that hold the top on, swing the lid up by rotating the hose connection, suck any captured oil out with a turkey baster, swing the lid back down and put the screws back in. 5 minutes tops each. Of course, if your engine is like mine, you only have to empty one of them. My driver's side has never had oil in it.

ANGREY

Established Member
The Ford Performance catch cans are excellent - I have both. To service them, it's trivial if you have a "4mm Ball End Tip Hex Key L-Wrench". You undo the four screws that hold the top on, swing the lid up by rotating the hose connection, suck any captured oil out with a turkey baster, swing the lid back down and put the screws back in. 5 minutes tops each. Of course, if your engine is like mine, you only have to empty one of them. My driver's side has never had oil in it.

That's the beauty of the free market. Multiple products for multiple needs.

I could care less what it looks like, it's under the hood. I care about cost, function and ease of operation when it comes to separators. Other guys like stuff to look professional and in line with the rest of the engine bay (and not for nothing, it's not like the other look BAD).

The JLT can requires a semi-manly grip, vs. a tool for the others.

The bigger question is why the aftermarket has to contend with this issue. Or is Ford so wealthy that they feel like dumping oil through the air intake system is just fine for warranty considerations?

I would think if Ford partnered with any of these can manufacturers, they could get the cost of the separator(s) (at least the passenger side) down to say way less than $100/vehicle including materials, labor, warranty of that equipment, etc.

I'm wondering if one catastrophic event where the oil reduced the octane rating enough to nuke the engine is worth putting these on probably 300 vehicles. I'm wondering why Ford hasn't already ran the numbers and came to the conclusion that it's worth the squeeze for the juice on this issue.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I have the Ford Performance cans on mine. They're ridiculously expensive compared to aftermarket units, but they're essentially OEM, and you don't even notice them when you open the hood. That particular aesthetic was important to me. Aftermarket cans stick out like sore thumbs and aren't particularly attractive. I'm not an engine bay lover by any means. I've just grown an appreciation for stock appearance over the years.

ArkLightning

Established Member
JLT on pass side only. Not a lot of point on adding one to the driver side unless you are tracking the car and working it through a lot of revs and engine braking. Driver side is pulling air from intake in normal operation.

Zeromaz

Established Member
I have the Ford Performance left and right side. It took about 5 minutes to install both on my 350R. The passenger side catches a lot but the driver’s side has been bone dry ssince day one

dhoening

Established Member
Ford Performance on passenger side only. Works great and simple to install & use.
You should never get any oil on the drivers side. If you do, something has gone terribly wrong inside the engine. Don’t waste your money on that one.

5.2Leader

Established Member
I run Bob’s on both sides. I received a great deal due to multiple wrong shipments etc. or I would just be running the passenger side only. Ran the JLT first version on my 2011 GT and the 3.0 on my 2013. I don’t have any real life comparison or data. The JLT is easy to use the Bob’s braided lines are nice and seem to be a better built unit in my opinion. Both collected oil so I guess they do their jobs!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

dhoening

Established Member
If you are collecting oil on the driver’s side, you have crankcase blow by blowing into the intake tract. That is not good. Should not have crankcase over-pressure unless things (rings, valve stem seals, etc.) are leaking.
Or maybe a big blower?
Burning excess oil?

5.2Leader

Established Member
I personally haven’t had any out of the drivers side. When I said both collect oil. What I should have said is the JLT and Bob’s both collected oil.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread