Which catback exhaust?

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I'm stuck on which catback I want for my 16'. I haven't heard any in person, I may have to go to some local meets and out to Royal purple raceway to hear some. I've only found a few that I really like so far. I love how the Borla Touring catback sounds, but its $1,300, and I think it may be to tame? Has a good tone, but it uses a mid muffler set up which I think quiets it down a bit. I also like the Ford Racing (made by Borla) touring axleback. It has a little rasp to it from the youtube videos i've heard. I'm trying to stick with something that has little to no drone, and has a good hollow tone to it, thats not too overly loud. I think I should stick with a h-pipe, but not sure which mufflers. I do want to keep the stock cats. I've had several x-pipes on previous mustangs, and I don't think I want to go that route on this one. I'm not much of a fan of the "tinny"/"raspy" sound anymore. I've listened to all of the big brands, magnaflow, borla, and corsa and other than the Borla touring i'm not really enthused about the other brands. Anyone have any suggestions?

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I am also considering the Borla S Type catback...just listened to the youtube video again and starting to like it. Although it does have a x pipe, it doesn't seem to have alot of rasp to it.

hognutz

Established Member
exhaust is very subjective but here is my take on setups I have heard.

Borla
borla touring if you are going to remove cats and don't want really extreamly loud exhaust
bolra stingers if you leave cats or run high flows but get a bit raspy or loud without cats. people who like loud exhaust will still like it.

Stainless works
I really like the stainless works sound myself it would be between this and the roush quad tip for me.

Roush
the roush quad tip exhaust is probably my favorite when it comes to looks and sound. if staying dual tip I would still go stainless works myself.

magnaflow
is not my cup of tea at all. nice product I don't like the sound personally but some love it. Has a real deap tone but I have run it twice and switched away form it twice.

Corsa
Very good sound at WOT not my favorite at idle. very good at controlling drone though.

Bassani
these used to sound good in the 4.6L market but I have not heard it on 5.0 to comment.

I have not heard kooks, MRBP

The you have the old standby's like dynomax and flowmaster.

youtube is a godsend when it comes to exhaust setups you should be able to narrow in on what ever tone you like from sound clips on there.

Last edited:

Skrapmetal

Established Member
As for catback... everyone is going to recommend the one they bought, but I gotta say I LOVE the magnaflow competition catback. Deep, loud, gurgle instead of pop. Sounds so much better than my Borla S-type I had on my 2012.

TBuck07

Underwater Basket Weaver
Established Member
Not to thread-jack here...I was thinking of just doing the Roush Axle back for price/sound quality. Does a catback really give you any performance gains? I know the sound is better with a cat back but if there are decent performance gains I may do a cat back.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Not to thread-jack here...I was thinking of just doing the Roush Axle back for price/sound quality. Does a catback really give you any performance gains? I know the sound is better with a cat back but if there are decent performance gains I may do a cat back.

the catback gains are minimal compared to just the axleback. If your just wanting to change the sound up a bit, go for the axleback. However, most decent axlebacks are $700-800, and most decent catbacks are $1000-1300. My train of thought is, pony up and spend the extra money. Eventually, my car will probably have a blower of some sort, so I can utilize the catback much better.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
I've got a Gibson on my car, got it from my girlfriend when she did her full SW system. I like it, its mellow, but has a good tone.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
As for catback... everyone is going to recommend the one they bought, but I gotta say I LOVE the magnaflow competition catback. Deep, loud, gurgle instead of pop. Sounds so much better than my Borla S-type I had on my 2012.

I've had several Magnaflow products, and I have nothing but good things to say about them...IMO its one of the best exhaust companys out there. Its hard to justify listening to youtube exhaust videos, cause most of them don't "capture" the exhaust note. However, there are some good videos. I'm sure if I heard the competition catback in person I would be in love. My fear with the competition catback is it would drone and be too loud in the car. Whats your thoughts on that?

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I do love the magnaflow double walled tips, they look so much better than any others on the market IMO.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
There is some drone, but not bad at cruising speeds. The only time the drone is really bad is around 2.5k during deceleration.

Iirc your car is an automatic? I doubt it would bother you... But everyone is different. If you werent 14 hours away I'd offer to take you for a ride.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
There is some drone, but not bad at cruising speeds. The only time the drone is really bad is around 2.5k during deceleration.

Iirc your car is an automatic? I doubt it would bother you... But everyone is different. If you werent 14 hours away I'd offer to take you for a ride.

Yeah mine is auto, i'm on the fence between Magnaflow Comp and the Borla S-Type. I don't know which one to choose.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I like the magnaflow comp note a LOT more than the s-type that was on my 12, but there is more drone.

I like more cabin noise though, because I like to shift by sound/feel.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I think i'm leaning towards the Borla S type. I'm still between Magnaflow & Borla. Maybe I will drink a few beers, then do a impluse buy

jdcobra

Established Member
I like the magnaflow comp note a LOT more than the s-type that was on my 12, but there is more drone.

I like more cabin noise though, because I like to shift by sound/feel.

Not much drone for the Magnaflow comp on the new s550 due to the increased cabin quality.

Users who are viewing this thread