Which cams for NA setup?

PSNOUS

Established Member
The machine shop is almost done with my block and heads and will be assembling the motor soon and wanting to get cams while its out. It will stay NA, be .20 over, mild port job on heads, 10.8:1 comp, longtubes. Wanting a good Stage 2 billet NA cams kit and looking for ideas/brands i.e SHM, MMR, Comp, etc.............

mkb116

Established Member
Best bang for the buck is the FR500 kit. Includes bigger valves, new springs, cams, lifters, rockers and retainers. They are pretty much equal to stage 2 crowers. Its retails for 1699.95. The bigger valves are going to make a big difference and its almost the same price as the comp cams and springs, but you get much more for the money.

If you are interested in buying the FR500 kit or even the comp or crower cams much cheaper than retail then PM me and I will get you some quotes.

blacksnake305

Established Member
Matt@MSX said:
Best bang for the buck is the FR500 kit. Includes bigger valves, new springs, cams, lifters, rockers and retainers. They are pretty much equal to stage 2 crowers. Its retails for 1699.95. The bigger valves are going to make a big difference and its almost the same price as the comp cams and springs, but you get much more for the money.

If you are interested in buying the FR500 kit or even the comp or crower cams much cheaper than retail then PM me and I will get you some quotes.

I've been running the FR500 valvetrain kit in my NA big bore since early 04'. I don't know if I'd say they are equivalent to a stage 2 aftermarket cam. More like a stage 1 IMHO. And my idle is like bone stock. specs are as follows:

FR500 valvetrain kit (cam specs: 204/214 duration .472 lift @.050). The duration is rather weak if your need is for a big power 'high revving' application.

And I believe the valves are the size of the stockers. But they come w/ a nice taper to them (and are of high quality)...

good luck

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Stg 2 tells us nothing. What kinda power and driveability do you want?

I went with custom grinds from Hitech Motorsports in Ramsey, Mn and am very happy. The cams are ground by Comp Cams so teh quality is there. I highly recommend you give them a call, ask for Brian or Bart. Good Luck?

For reference, my cams are 220/218 @.050 and .450 lift which allows use of the stock springs. My peak HP is at 6500rpm with a stock runner length intake and no long tubes.

ptsvt

hillbilly hotrod
Established Member
iam running comp cams xer262ah114 cams iam naturally aspirated now i also installed
the comp springs too. my idle is very lopey streetability is still good. i will be adding a zex kit soon.

blacksnake305

Established Member
na svt said:

I went with custom grinds from Hitech Motorsports in Ramsey, Mn and am very happy. The cams are ground by Comp Cams so teh quality is there. I highly recommend you give them a call, ask for Brian or Bart. Good Luck?

For reference, my cams are 220/218 @.050 and .450 lift which allows use of the stock springs. My peak HP is at 6500rpm with a stock runner length intake and no long tubes.

NICE! sometimes I wish I would have gotten a little more agressive w/ my cam choice, but in late 03' there weren't many 'proven' 4V cams out there. I wanted something reliable to 100k if ya know what I mean... Oh well. I'd love to have your duration. I'd be in the 415rwhp ballpark with just your cams alone... :rockon:

What numbers are you making (sae) and what mods bro?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
blacksnake305 said:
NICE! sometimes I wish I would have gotten a little more agressive w/ my cam choice, but in late 03' there weren't many 'proven' 4V cams out there. I wanted something reliable to 100k if ya know what I mean... Oh well. I'd love to have your duration. I'd be in the 415rwhp ballpark with just your cams alone... :rockon:

What numbers are you making (sae) and what mods bro?

Well, you have about the most proven cams out there, you could have done much worse.

See sig for mods/numbers

I have the K-member out and the manifolds and X-pipe removed and the long tubes will be going in tonite, well, at least I'll start installing them tonite. I'm hoping the gains will be worth posting.

blacksnake305

Established Member
na svt said:
Well, you have about the most proven cams out there, you could have done much worse.

See sig for mods/numbers

I have the K-member out and the manifolds and X-pipe removed and the long tubes will be going in tonite, well, at least I'll start installing them tonite. I'm hoping the gains will be worth posting.

Suggestion: Open new thread on your project and take lots of pics. Be sure to post your sae / dynojet results as well. good luck! :pop:

PSNOUS

Established Member
na svt said:

It will be a nice weather daily driver, so a nice street/race NA cam I'm assuming I'd want, I figured stage 3 would be to aggressive and I'll have stock intake manifold but bigger TB and mass air sensor with mildly ported heads. FR500 kit sounds nice but my heads and valves are already done and don't want to have have them redone for bigger valves. I'll also have longtubes and O/R x pipe as well

Users who are viewing this thread