Which Auto Trans?

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
Ok so I'm building a 2.9 Whipple E85 car and was wondering what trans do you guys recommend...it isn't daily driven and pretty much will be a strip/weekend car...I am leaning towards a TH400 with the O/D option because I like the idea to drag and maybe do a couple of highway pulls...the C4 seems to be good drag but not street-able...4R70W seems to have too many problems...any suggestions or experiences would be great...Thanks :rockon:

Driver500

Established Member
I'd put a built 4r70w in it. They live well at that power level and you will maintain overdrive. The c4 and TH400 suck for any sustained driving.

My setup was the older style Lentech Strip Terminator that kept lockup and Precision TQ with a PCS controller running at ~800rwhp.

You can find those setups on the forums for a decent price too.

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
I'd put a built 4r70w in it. They live well at that power level and you will maintain overdrive. The c4 and TH400 suck for any sustained driving.

My setup was the older style Lentech Strip Terminator that kept lockup and Precision TQ with a PCS controller running at ~800rwhp.

You can find those setups on the forums for a decent price too.

Well I wanted to do highway pulls and use a gear vendors O/D that is why I ruled out the 4R70W

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Me too. Got bad ankles and knees. But with a C4 swap is there anyway to get the speedo to work? Electroniclly?

gamebred26

Established Member
4r70w is a strong as **** trans...when built right can handle a ton of power.

drusmith

Established Member
Yup, Just completed my swap last week! 4r70w with Terminator internals from Lentech. DO NOT BUY Torque Converter from them, they are extremely hit or miss! I went with local shop in Detroit that makes high HP TC and I love it! Put on the B&M Hammer shifter with slight modification to sheet metal below. here are some pics. Oh but I haven't figured out the speedo problem. Anyone know please help me out! I put down 600whp before swap

Oh and Highway pulls from 50 up are EPIC! 2nd gear all day baby! You will rape some face trust me! Just did it yesterday!
4r70w.jpg

newAutoshifter.jpg

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Drew... Have your tuner change the speedo in the tune.. Mine was the same way and its an easy fix.. Congrats on the swap. What stall is your converter?

Blackedout

Established Member
I have a 4R70 from FB Performance w/lock up converter... THE BEST MOD YET.. :D

drusmith

Established Member
Drew... Have your tuner change the speedo in the tune.. Mine was the same way and its an easy fix.. Congrats on the swap. What stall is your converter?

2600 stall! And thanks! I was out yesterday banging around and I F**king love it so much! MVB FTW!

Drumguy999

Ford Newb
Established Member
I have a 4r70w in my 2.3 Whipple cobra and i'm really happy with it. Have a full manual valve body with the b&m hammer shifter and it's a pretty kick ass combo.

And this is going to be a little off topic but maybe you guys can chime in..

Had my auto swap done for 5-6 months now and it's Been down on power though. As it turns out I'm only at 13.5* timing (I was told it was tuned at 18). Any clues why it would pull timing after only the auto swap? Temps and everything looked good so im not sure what would pull timing. Is it a load issue? Thanks in advance

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
Be prepared to open your wallet.
A TH400 setup with a Gear Vendors will be between 6-7k when its done.
How do I know? Because Ive done it, and its the tits.

2011-06-26_12-00-40_712.jpg

2011-06-26_12-01-05_512.jpg

2011-05-28_15-57-59_46.jpg

2011-06-26_12-00-48_843.jpg

2011-05-23_19-34-03_360.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread