Which aftermarket blower- TVS?Whipple?KB?

chimazo

Established Member
Not looking to start a fanboy war, just some feedback and answers, please, especially from those that did the installation themselves (or not!).

For those that are running an aftermarket blower, what made you pick the one you did, other than availability (aka - the 2.9 Whipple) or warranty (TVS)?

Would you still choose it now that you have some miles on it or would you go with a different one? Anything you're not thrilled about, whether it be results, driveability, support after the sale, etc?

Here's a tough one - if you didn't know which blower was under the hood, and they were all pullied/tuned for around 650rwhp, could you tell the difference?? Would the dyno curves be relatively the same as one another?

Appreciate any rational input!:beer:

R1Lello

Established Member
650 rwhp? TVS with either lower/ or upper + good tune and TB and you're there.........and it fits under the hood and brace. This puts the TVS in it's sweet spot of 14-16 psi

chimazo

Established Member
I mentioned the 650whp figure because I knew it was reachable by all three blowers and because anything above that wouldn't really be usable on the street anyway. Just an arbitrary #. Would the only reason to go with the KB over the TVS if you wanted 700+rwhp?

But if all three were tuned for that #, are there any differences in drivability, durability, or power/torque curves?

Blaine

Established Member
Been doing the same research on this as well. TVS will achieve this, but you can get the KB for only a bit more and you have the potential to run more boost in the future if you get the itch. The KB may be about 500 more, but it comes with Mammoth Throttle body, boost a pump, .... and the KB will be putting out your 650 hp number without having to spin as much creating more HP at the same boost.

The whipple would be the same, but their isn't a all in ONE kit from whipple. Some of the vendors here provide their own all in one kits for whipple.

TVS is good due to ease of installation and you can keep your warranty if you have ford install it.

skyhighsd

Established Member
Does KB fit under the hood?

You have to notch out the hood alittle on the center brace and it will fit not a big deal and most people never even notice it on my car.

To the op that a hard one to answer if you ask me I will say a KB and if you ask someone else like rdsnk46 he will say whipple;-) But I will tell you this I did do my install myself and overall it was very easy to do. KB has pic by pic with there instructions of almost every step going along with it, they are very easy to understand. As far as support from KB I had zero issues with dealing with them with the few issues I did have. But at times it is hard to get through to them on the phone, I found if you call them during off hours (mid day) I didnt have problems getting ahold of them. But if you call in the afternoon good luck. As far as the reason I went with the KB, I like that when you bought the stage three it was a complete package everything you need comes with it. I am not a fan of lowering the K member to make the whipple fit but that was just a personal thing. Also I didnt want to buy something that I might find a need to upgrade later and I was afraid if I bought the TVS that would be the case down the line. Told myself I was going to build this car once and not going to play the upgrade game that I did with my 03 cobra, buying things twice was not going to happen again...lol Unless I decide to go TT. So if I had to do it over again, YES in a heart beat! Good Luck:beer:

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Here's a tough one - if you didn't know which blower was under the hood, and they were all pullied/tuned for around 650rwhp, could you tell the difference?? Would the dyno curves be relatively the same as one another?

This is really the most important questions, IMHO, given the fact it sounds like this is a 99% street application.

For the guys running C16, 22psi, and 6800rpm... its going to be a completely different answer (potentially) than for the guy like me (and possibly the OP) who want a really fast, 100% streetable car.

While I would like to know the answers to the above as well, my educated guess is that ~600-650rwhp, all of them will do the job extremely efficiently. Once you start openings things up (aftermarket exhaust would be the biggest, along with changing cams to make the engine more efficient up in the higher revs beyond the stock rev-limiter), all bets are off. You go with the biggest, most efficient blower you can purchase in a more race-type environment.

I am not sure anyone has the empirical data you're looking for. Remember, some of these big HP numbers guys are making are at peak rpms way beyond the stock redline. I'm not discounting them, but it would be interesting to see what the HP comparision is at, say 5800-6000rpm, with the same mods.

I didn't want to do long-tube headers, I have to have cats where I live to avoid hassles, etc. I was also happy knowing that my threshold for power would be about where you mentioned yours to be ... ~650rwhp. I'm not there b/c my TVS was done at the time I purchased the car from the dealer new, and so all I did was the FRPP kit and an SCT tune. I'm awfully happy at 575+, and mine's a 'vert, so I'm not going to be the fastest out there anyway.

But these are excellent questions b/c as skyhigh said, you want to do it once and be done with it. I did mine once, and will be extremely happy with the car for a long time. If I need more punch, I'll just add 3.73s. Then again, I had a very clear understanding and idea of what I wanted out of the car before I even bought it... improved power and suspension w/out compromise. I got it. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

chimazo

Established Member
This is really the most important questions, IMHO, given the fact it sounds like this is a 99% street application.

But these are excellent questions b/c as skyhigh said, you want to do it once and be done with it. I did mine once, and will be extremely happy with the car for a long time. If I need more punch, I'll just add 3.73s. Then again, I had a very clear understanding and idea of what I wanted out of the car before I even bought it... improved power and suspension w/out compromise. I got it. Mission accomplished.

So far, so good.:) Would still like to hear some more thoughts on the subject. I didn't realize you had to notch the hood with the KB, so at least I learned something there. Will the 2.9 Whipple fit w/o ANY permanent mods?

Since I have an '07 w/ the lead balancer, will the IW overdrive balancer work with any other blower besides the TVS?

Yes, the car would need to be 100% streetable, and would be taken down the 1/4 a few times, at least until I'm too embarrassed by my shitass driving to do it anymore.:burnout:

Blaine

Established Member
TVS: fits under stock tower strut brace and the stock hood.
KB: fits under stock hood with a notch required.
Whipple: Fits under nothing. New hood required.

R1Lello

Established Member
TVS under KR brace........

DSCN3948.jpg
[/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread