Where's my power???? need help!!!!!

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Back ground of the car:
I have a 99 Cobra with an 03 Cobra shortblock, Ported/Polish 99 C-heads, SHM Blower cams, comp cams valve springs, Stage 4 steggy, 2.93 upper, 6lb metco lower, SCT BA2400, 60lb injectors, 03 tank and pumps, KB 40 amp Bap, JLT high boost CAI, Billetflow TB and plenum, BBK LT's, catted H-pipe, LFP Dual pass HE, LFP IC resovior, Evenflow Head cooling mod, Canton 10qt oil pan, ARP head studs, V-spec T56, solid rear, 4.30's ect....

Problem:
I took my car to RET for Greg to dynotune it, first off let me say that Greg and his staff are awsome and that there customer is excellent!!!! He is very knowledgable and helpful but I ran into a problem and need extra help/suggestions. With the above mods on 91 octane, 19 degrees of timing and 11.7 A/F across the board I made on 368rwhp/380ish tq. I was expecting low 500's:shrug: My MAF counts are in the 900's and my pumps were pegging, so we know it's getting the fuel/air to make the power, but we can't figure out why it's not making the power. We also verified that it was making boost which it is, in fact it's making 18psi at WOT and dropping slighty to 15-16 after 6k. I need help!! I did a compression test and here are the results, this was done with the motor cold:

Front of engine

145 150
140 140
140 140
140 135

Please provide any ideas, I hope Greg will post up my dyno sheet and numbers.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
holy cow Allen. man, i hope you get this worked out. you should definitely be in the 500/500 area for sure. i wish i could help you with this one too, but i don't have anything for this. hope you get it all worked out!

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If the car isn't pinging etc take it down the 1/4 mile. Dyno's can and do lie from time to time.

it's not impossible that you are making the power, it's just not showing on the dyno. Trap speed vs weight is the best indicator of power.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Torch10th said:
If the car isn't pinging etc take it down the 1/4 mile. Dyno's can and do lie from time to time.

it's not impossible that you are making the power, it's just not showing on the dyno. Trap speed vs weight is the best indicator of power.

I thought this too, but the car doesn't feel like a 500 horsepower car, it really doesn't feel right, plus Greg put another cobra on the dyno right after mine just to ease both are minds and it registered 480ish which it should have and did several weeks earlier. Thanks for the replies guys, Nick Thanks for all your other help, I hope to get this figured out. By the way Nick sorry to hear about you bad deal on the mufflers.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Double"O" said:
clutch issues perhaps???

I have a near new spec stage 3, the A/F and dyno sheet would show if it was slipping that bad right?

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
that is very weird, did you get any datalogs and examine them to see if something's wrong?

what should I datalog, everything appeared to be ok.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
quadcammer said:
I bet you money the cams are the problem.

SHM cams are absolute trash

you know i have never ever heard one good thing about SHM cams

J

Janstang

A guy over on Corral was having similiar issues, crappy power, didn't run worth a crap and the car was trying to overheat. Pulled those SHM cams out, put the stock one back in and it runs 10000X better. Something to keep in mind, nobody is having any luck with those cams..

Nazman

Established Member
Did you shim the lash adjusters? Did you measure your preload? The SHM re-grinds are POS, trash and everything else in the middle.

That compresion check is low.

Naz

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Nazman said:
Did you shim the lash adjusters? Did you measure your preload? The SHM re-grinds are POS, trash and everything else in the middle.

That compresion check is low.

Naz

Carlos, the compression test was done with the motor ice cold. As far as the cams go I did install the shims and I measured the preload and it was within specs. It seemsed to work fine when it was N/A but seems to not like a power adder. The cams are POS and I plan on installing new ones and getting them degreed.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
quadcammer said:
I bet you money the cams are the problem.

SHM cams are absolute trash

So what is it with SHM?? I havent heard ANYTHING good about them. Is everything they make something u want to stay away from?

01vert

Established Member
With A BAP and 03 pumps you are pegging them with 380rwhp?? That alone seems to say that something is wrong. Especially with a 11.7 afr, makes no sense where the fuel is going. injector duty cycle?? Fuel pressure at WOT?

Havent heard anything good about SHM, there is a good read about another with those cams and picking up a ton of power and drivability after getting rid of them.

Just ideas from reading these boards a ton and hope you find your problem

Users who are viewing this thread