Where to start?

fast_cobra_r

fast_cobra_R
Established Member
I just bought a 99 cobra. its all stock and I'm looking for a good starting point to get more performance out of it. I want to run in the 10's I have nitto 555 drag radials on it. 255/45/17 in the front on 9in wheels and 315/35/17 on 10.5in out back. where do i start so can kill vettes?

fast_cobra_r

fast_cobra_R
Established Member
forged? How would long tube headers, off road H-pipe, flowmasters, twin 65mm throttle body, and a predator tuner with 3.73 gears and centerforce dual friction clutch do me?

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
fast_cobra_r said:
forged? How would long tube headers, off road H-pipe, flowmasters, twin 65mm throttle body, and a predator tuner with 3.73 gears and centerforce dual friction clutch do me?

It wont get you into the 10's.

You need to tell us what your plans for this car are?

Daily driven?

Just weekends?

Whats your $$$ limit. Or how much do you wanna sink in it?

What kind of drivability do you want.

Bolt on wise, full-exhaust, ported intake, CAI(JLT), Gears (4.30's).

If you want 10's you will need to be able to drive. But a Built bottom end w/ a T-trim maybe ported heads/cams (if you want to spend the extra $$)will give you enough power to run 10's. But just b/c the power is there dosnt mean it will.

Also w/ that power you would have to look into you rear-end.

I would go w/ a solid w/ 31 spline axles/carrier and some MT DR's and your done w/ it. Thats if you dont want to keep your IRS.

Orlandostang

Established Member
First off, welcome to the forum.

Please do not take any of this negatively, but I will elaborate on what droptopsnake01 said. First, you must define your goals. If you seriously want a 10 second car you need to figure out if you want a 10 sec race quality car, or a 10 sec show quality car, the latter being unreasonable unless your willing to spend $100K+, but then you probably wouldn't have bought a 99 cobra. Sure you can have a 10 second car, but its not as easy as the movies (damn Fast&Furious for getting peoples hopes up). You will need a forged motor (meaning rebuilt bottom end, rods pistons, ect) and a power adder (blower, turbo, a lot of NOS) and all the supporting mods to handle all that power (solid rear, tranny, axels, ect). Once your car is at this level you will not want to use it as a DD, so then you have that to deal with.

So lets forget about the whole magical "10 second" mark for the moment. If you just want a fast, fun car, that you'll be able to beat vettes with and still use as a comfortable DD, then now you have a more realistic goal. Now the concern turns toward money. How much are you willing to spend? For under $1K each - gears (4.10s), intake, exhaust, tune, good tires, nos - are all reasonable things to start out with. For $5K - supercharger, $10K - turbo, $20K - hey there’s your 10 second car.

Also, you may want to lurk around this section of the site and check out everyone’s signatures, look for commonalities and you'll start to see some great setups, maybe one that will work for you. Good luck with the build up and be sure to stick around here; this site is the most helpful site around for us new edgers.

:beer:

Last edited:

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
where's quads 10 sec mod list... :thumbsup:

well you have to open the engine up, so ask yourself if you want to do it now or later...you'll need a built bottom end and then boost to meet your 10 sec request...otherwise like most of the rest of us start out with:

Shifter
Exhaust
Gears
CAI
Rims/Tires

...and stay away from the 65mm throttle body until you boost, just not worth the bank until you have big HP numbers

AND WELCOME :beer:

fast_cobra_r

fast_cobra_R
Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys. In no fast and furious wanna be kid just to clear that up. I am looking for a show car but want it to be fast. I plan on keepin the irs just doin all the mods that was mentioned in the irs artical. if i do the basic bolt on's what do you think my power would be? I'm a skilled driver so do you think I could knock off vettes with the headers, exhaust, intake, preditor, pullies, and 4.30's

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
no, and here's my reasoning the vettes that will race you and not driven by 50+ yr old men are probably modded a little themselves so I would say Nazman's setup for N/A or boosted to beat vettes

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
fast_cobra_r said:
I am looking for a show car but want it to be fast.

Expect to spend a lot of money. Fast show car = money (when someone says fast, I assume they mean low 11s/10s).

I plan on keepin the irs just doin all the mods that was mentioned in the irs artical.

The stock IRS won't let you go FAST (like 10s or 11s) without breaking, but I would say you can get into the 12s with it safely. Beyond that, your risk breaking the halfshafts because of the power. Your choice is then to upgrade the half-shafts. DSS level 5s are good for 600+ HP (I think), but they are retardedly expensive. That also means doing something about the pumpkin. When you start getting into serious power, the covers no the pumpkin start breaking and you start having other problems. The other option is to remove the IRS and go solid axle (as indicated earlier). Not only can it handle more power, but it weighs less.

if i do the basic bolt on's what do you think my power would be? I'm a skilled driver so do you think I could knock off vettes with the headers, exhaust, intake, preditor, pullies, and 4.30's

Yes, that setup *could* knock of vettes, provided you are a skilled driver. From a roll, it would be significantly more difficult. Please note, I am talking about new C5 and old Z06s that are stock - you will not beat the new Z06 with that setup unless the driver of said Z06 is a 5 year old). You could regularly beat the older (C4?) vettes.

Define skilled driver. How quick have you been and what was it that you were driving?

If you don't want to tear into the engine and spend beacuoup dollars, I would go with the bolt-ons you listed + 75-100 shot of nitrous. On nitrous, you would be somewhere over 400 hp with a 100 shot.

cobraracer46

Banned
fast_cobra_r said:
where do i start so can kill vettes?
If you want to "so can kill Vetts", you could always pour gasoline on one and throw a match at it. :burn: The First mod I would do would be a set of sub frame connectors followed by shocks, springs and a set of urethane bushings for the IRS. You could also switch all of the lubricants in the car over to synthetic. I personally would not go with a certain sewer drain pipe cold air intake kit that some people seem to have a hard on over because there are better ways to spend your money.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Welcome to the forum. There are a few of us around running in the low 11's and a couple in the 10's with 99/01's. But I dare say, none of us in the 10-low11 slots are doing it with stock engines.

I like the ideas on defining your goal. Take my 99.... at 600hp, it has the power to go well into the 10's with a hotter tune and a drag race suspension. I like being able to drive it anywhere anywhere and have a suspension that will be on rails on the road and handle a road course. As a result, the car is only a low 11 second sleeper.... on stock rims with 275 DR's. So, keep that in mind... you can't have the best of both worlds.

fast_cobra_r

fast_cobra_R
Established Member
Thanks for all the new info. I think I'm gonna plan on 400rwhp range. I'm gonna have to deal with the shitty drag racing starts cuz I want to be able to mess around in autocross also. I'm not looking at turning it into a hard core racer but to be able o perform in drag, and autocross. I have beaten a couple older vettes and I did beat a 02 vette. I lost to the 05 vette, and i lost to a 03 cobra. Then I got my new wheels/tires and raced a wrx sti and beat him. I haven't raced at a drag strip yet. these are all races that are basically illegal. shhhh!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Orlandostang said:
Between 310-320 rwhp, which equals about 350-370 engine hp.

Add to that a good valve job/bowl cleanup and you'll see 350rwhp. FR500 cams and ported short runner intake should put you at 370-380 rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread