Where to get a stock alternator pulley?

87lc2

Established Member
My 96 is having some small charging issues at night when the headlights are on and the cooling fans are on high. The car has Steeda pulleys on it (from previous owner), so I dont have the stock stuff. Want to put the stock alternator pulley back on, I'm sure it will help a bit. Problem is, I cant find anywhere to get one. Checked RockAuto, NAPA, etc and no one sells just the pulley.

87lc2

Established Member
Can you tell me which section or post a link please? I just looked again on RockAuto.com, they dont list an alternator pulley under 96 cobra.

87lc2

Established Member
I just looked under Mustang GT instead of Cobra and they list a Motorcraft alternator pulley, but it says SOHC. Are they the same pulleys?

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Advance Auto Parts: ALTERNATOR FAN/PULLEY by Mr. Gasket - Part 6808

Part No. 6808 $21.99

17360655_mrg_6808_pri_larg.jpg

How about that? That's what came up when I searched for an alternator pulley and specified that it was a 96 cobra.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/fordfamilyofvehiclesmotorcraft.aspx

There's always this place too but I'm trying to figure out which one you'd need.

Last edited:

niterydr

Established Member
I just put Steeda's UDPs on my gt...I have the stock alternator pulley sitting in the garage. Not sure if it is the same since mine is a 2002, but if it is we can work something out...

harvboi05

Established Member
motorcraft GP712 is the part number. i found it by doing a google shopping search. its not listed on rockauto's site anymore, but there are a ton if you google it.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Another option and this is what I'm running:

2.75" at the lip, 2.49" at the ribs. Same size pulley as the Mach1's stock underdrive alt pulley.

Pictured with a 3.20/2.95" larger underdrive.

dsc7246.jpg

87lc2

Established Member
Thanks guys, I found the right one online.

006 - That Mach 1 pulley is 65mm, same as the SOHC engines. However, the only cars to use the 59mm pulley are the 96-98 Cobra's, wonder why. Guess that why the underdrive alternator pulley is killing my voltage so badly. Big jump form a small 59mm pulley to a standard Steeda underdrive.

Established Member
Thanks guys, I found the right one online.

006 - That Mach 1 pulley is 65mm, same as the SOHC engines. However, the only cars to use the 59mm pulley are the 96-98 Cobra's, wonder why. Guess that why the underdrive alternator pulley is killing my voltage so badly. Big jump form a small 59mm pulley to a standard Steeda underdrive.

The offset would not fit the SOHC alternators.

I think you might be overspinning your alt. What size diameter is on it right now?

harvboi05

Established Member
just wanted to bump for some extra info.

i found my stock 98 alternator pulley, i measured it at 63/57mm external/rib diameters.

ill measure the GP712 when there isnt 14" of snow on my car.

Established Member
just wanted to bump for some extra info.

i found my stock 98 alternator pulley, i measured it at 63/57mm external/rib diameters.

ill measure the GP712 when there isnt 14" of snow on my car.

That converts to 2.48" outler lip, and 2.28" at the ribs (in inches).

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
I have been looking for a 3.2", six groove, like pictured above. But have not been able to find one. Any suggestions where I can get one?

Established Member
I have been looking for a 3.2", six groove, like pictured above. But have not been able to find one. Any suggestions where I can get one?

I have inventory...and I'm local :thumbsup:

Shoot me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread