Where the hell are the media reviews of this car?

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
So let me get this straight. Everyone is rushing out to order a car that has never been reviewed? Never been compared to the competition? Never proven to put any numbers down? Look, I know that nothing that surfaces will be a disappointment, but there are guys out there (like me) who are on the fence about a few cars. Vette, Hellcat, Shelby...hmm...All very capable, very fun, very unreal rides for around the same price. I just don't get how cars are being made and people are forking over money without even knowing what the numbers are.

What I really want to know is this...how hard will this car pull. That's all. 99% of real world driving is not a track-like scenario. What will the 1/4 trap speed be? Will this thing be able to hang with the Hellcat? I'm not talking handling, I'm talking on a highway, you see a Hellcat, what happens. The last Gt500 put the smack down on the ZL1...What's gonna happen here?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'll cut to the chase. Expect a trap speed between 118-123 for average to good drivers, and a 125 in a mineshaft with a demon behind the wheel. A hellcat would be about 123-127, and 130-131 respectively in the same scenario IMO.

Now, go buy the hellcat. When guys like me go looking for prey, hellcats and z06's are very fun to embarrass.

I'd personally buy the car that suits the most of your wants. If fast highway power is your game, enjoy a hellcat while it's still number one.

Id buy a 2013 gt500 and throw basic mods at it with a swap to 3.55's and sticky rubber all around for a fun highway car. Much cheaper than a hellcat, and no hellcats on factory ecu' will touch a 750-800whp trinity car, drivers being equal. 700lbs of difference is astronomical for the segment.

I personally like well rounded, m3 esq cars. The gt350(r) both speak to me because of their balance and power. To me, the gt350(r) are way beyond m3, and jumping into 911 territory decidedly well.

I can use 526hp basically whenever I want, using 662 or 707 isn't the same point and play fun, it a more calculated bullet line approach.

If you want highway power, find a clean turbo mustang/cobra/gt500 that suits your taste (turbo boss 302's are wicked/nice/new enough) and enjoy 800whp, which literally humiliates stock hellcats and stock basically anythings short of Verons, koenigsegg's, Zonda's etc.

Lastly, no matter what you buy or build, a dorky guy in a 600-800whp civic will smoke you, and a guy in a 7 second 1200whp nova beater will smoke him, and a guy on power tour with a street legal 6 second Chevy will smoke that.

My point is buy the fun all around best value for your tastes. Cruising and highway, hellcats/gt500's. Corners, g force, bespoke fpc v8, 11's which is still fast, even by today's crazier performance benchmarks, etcetera go gt350.

Last edited:

Lemers

Established Member
If these are limited run cars and everyone is potentially spoken for...then who's production GT350 is the media gonna beat up around the tracks. NOT MINE!!!!

bpmurr

Established Member
The GT350 media event is this week. You'll start getting media driving impressions and more.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
There has been no media reviews because none of the media has been able to get their hands on one (Ford embargo). That changes tomorrow.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If these are limited run cars and everyone is potentially spoken for...then who's production GT350 is the media gonna beat up around the tracks. NOT MINE!!!!

Manufacturers have press fleets of cars that don't get sold to the public. Once all press reviews and such are done, the cars are returned to the manufacturers and crushed, if I'm not mistaken.

Lemers

Established Member
Manufacturers have press fleets of cars that don't get sold to the public. Once all press reviews and such are done, the cars are returned to the manufacturers and crushed, if I'm not mistaken.

So I just can't help but think how much cheaper my car a would be if manufacturers cod cut down on all these mules, preproductions, test fit cars, press fleets and where ever else gets built.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
So I just can't help but think how much cheaper my car a would be if manufacturers cod cut down on all these mules, preproductions, test fit cars, press fleets and where ever else gets built.

Why would they make your car cheaper? The costs for those cars is a drop in the bucket for Ford. Plus, they are most likely a part of the R&D budget which just falls into the overall picture of what the final car will cost in order to recover those costs and turn a profit which will probably be relatively small.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Car would be the same price because the warranty payouts would be so much higher. You can engineer a car to what you think is perfection, but stuff always shows up when you drive them.

Lemers

Established Member
Why would they make your car cheaper? The costs for those cars is a drop in the bucket for Ford. Plus, they are most likely a part of the R&D budget which just falls into the overall picture of what the final car will cost in order to recover those costs and turn a profit which will probably be relatively small.

I understand some are needed for development. But how many $50k cars have we seen driving around that were "preproduction"? Cars that ford wouldn't let the media drive because it wasn't the final product. Now we want to build more of them never to be sold so the media can drive the actual product.

This isn't a mustang GT that will have a 10 year run with nothing but a facelift and hundreds for thousands of copies being sold.

All we know right now is that only around 10k will be produced over 2 years (plus the 137 for 2015). That has a much greater impact on the final cost of the car then doing the same thing with the GT.

unless the development budget for the entire mustang line pays for Shelby development. Then the cost are spread over more cars.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

unless the development budget for the entire mustang line pays for Shelby development. Then the cost are spread over more cars.

ding ding ding! Now you're getting it. Even though the GT350(R) is a special car, it's development costs are spread over the entire S550 Mustang run because, wait for it, it's still a Mustang on the S550 chassis.

speedrx

Established Member
I think you need to take many of the reviews with a gran of salt. You will notice many have their bias (some paid or sponsored), some love Fords, other love Chevy's, other Mopars. Do you own DD and don't count on getting everything you need from a magazine.

That said, many are interesting and fun to read and I am looking forward to see how each shows their bias or objectivity in their review.

Para81

Established Member
ding ding ding! Now you're getting it. Even though the GT350(R) is a special car, it's development costs are spread over the entire S550 Mustang run because, wait for it, it's still a Mustang on the S550 chassis.

That's the whole point, except you're getting specs typically reserved for 200k exotics on one of the world's most prestigious American icons to date (Shelby GT350). Pure win.

Users who are viewing this thread