Where is the plug for the tranny speed sensor on a 98 Cobra?

8URSRT

Established Member
Here is the deal, I uninstalled a Speed Cal because I am getting a tuner. I can't for the life of me find the factory plug that goes back into it. The only plugs I can find is the black one that was plugged into the Speed Cal and the rear o2 plugs. Am I missing something???? I do not see where any wires have been cut or anything. I figured the black plug that the speed cal hooked to just plugged into the sensor......crap!

8URSRT

Established Member
so do I need to leave the speed cal then? I was told by bama chips I needed to unhook it when I got my tuner

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
We do have an electronic VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) sensor in our cars. It has a gear driven 8 tooth reluctor wheel magnetic sensor that is designed to produce 8000 pulses per mile. If you significantly change tire size and/or axle ratio, you need to change gears on the VSS sensor or use a Speedcal to get it back close to 8000 pulses per mile.

99 and up cars have an OSS (Output Shaft Sensor). It has a 12 tooth reluctor wheel directly on the tailshaft. The PCM then calculates the vehicle speed based on the OSS signal frequency and the tire revs per mile, axle ratio and number of holes (teeth) in the reluctor wheel (with the last three values being programmed into the tune).

This is what the two sensors look like:

VSSOSS.jpg

Here is where the VSS is located:

T56-sensor-soleniod_locations.jpg

8URSRT

Established Member
I know where the vss is. I unplugged the speed cal from it. My issue is I cannot find the factory plug to go back in it.

anyone know if I can run the speed cal with the tuner?

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
I know where the vss is. I unplugged the speed cal from it. My issue is I cannot find the factory plug to go back in it.

anyone know if I can run the speed cal with the tuner?

yes the tuner will have nothing to do with your gears. so if you have a gear swap leave the speedcal. its only 99 up cars that you don't need a speedcal with gears since it can be changed in their tune. 98 and older cannot change calibration for gears in the pcm-requiring a speedcal or speedo gear change

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member

This is all a moot point, since you still need the Speedcal. But FYI, In order to take the Speedcal out, you need to de-pin the VSS connector from the Speedcal wire. Then you de-pin the Speedcal supplied connector off the factory harness. Then you repin the stock VSS connector back onto the factory harness.

Sorry about misunderstanding your question.

8URSRT

Established Member
ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info guys, i'll be reinstalling the speed cal. I am a newbie on the 96-98's. Always had pushrod cars and 99+ mustangs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread