Where do you guys learn your stuff???

fuzzydice

White Hot Lightning
Established Member
I've always wanted to know how to tear down my own motor and do internal work and stuff like that. I dont like paying other people to work on my truck, but if i have no other choice i will. I do enjoy working on my truck, because in the end you feel a lot better about it and you learn a lot more about your car/truck that way.

I was just wondering how u guys out there that are able to tear down your lightnings or cobra's, were able to learn this stuff??

i can understand that ur dad was a mechanic or sumthing and he taught u but no one in my family is into cars "mechanically" and i really want to be able to take apart my motor and put it back together and make it run as good, if not better than it did before, and to know what is working right and whats wrong internally.

I also know that having the right tools is a part of it but just the knowledge itself is where im stuck at.

i know how to do a total brake-job on my L and suspension and a few things here and there but thats it.

Maybe i should look into getting ASE certified???

Just picking at peoples brains here lol:pop:

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
ASE certification will not teach you a whole lot, you need hands on. Get a part-time job or work weekends for a garage or a machine shop.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Much of my knowledge was learned from helping my dad. I grew up riding/racing dirt bikes as did all of my friends. If I wasn't wrenching on my toys I was most likely helping one of them. As the toys changed my knowledge base broadened but I'm far from a mechanic.

M240Bravo

Established Member
I learned by breaking it and not having the money to have some one else fix it. Also having great friends to help.

silvblt

Nasty 5.4
Established Member
I work at a shop, but we don't do alot of motor stuff. Hands on is the best way. I've got all kinds of books, magazines, literature from online, etc. to help me understand the basics. Don't expect to learn this stuff overnight. And the right tools make life so much easier. You'll use tools only designed for the 4.6/5.4 motors when it comes to doing some jobs. An inch pound and foot pound torque wrench is necessary for also working on the motors. I know I'm forgetting something but listen to what others say also. The enjoyment of saying you did your own work is well worth it. Good luck with it and if you have any questions feel free to hit us up! Mick:beer:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
High School Shop class for three years, changing oil at Jiffy Lube for three years, 2 1/2 years of Ford Asset training/schooling in college and way to many years working on these damn things.

As already stated. ASE certs do not mean crap. There are people out there that can pass the tests, but cannot change oil. Go figure.

Also the certs cost big time money and the engine performance test is the hardest one to pass. It took me five times before I passed it.

speedfreek88

-Skinny Pimp Racing-
Established Member
im the same boat as you... nobody in my family is really into car or truck stuff like me!

ive learned quite a bit from lightning forums and local forums, this one particularly, and asking lots of questions... i also like reading Motorbooks Workshop books because the info in them can apply to lots of things. also, getting into a car club or the local car scene (not the ricers and not the ones that pay big bucks for a fast car they know nothing about) and get to know some of those people and pick their brains

DolSVT00

Established Member
I learned by breaking it and not having the money to have some one else fix it. Also having great friends to help.
+1 And I read alot

Now I've built my motor, A Stroker Subaru Boxer 2.5, and Currently in the process of building what was a 4.6 and soon will be a little bigger and with some special sauce.

I stay at the Holiday Inn Express

I tried that, it gave me a headache because of all the whores beatin on the door at 2am

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
1. Find something to work on.
2. Take it apart.
3. Put it back together.
4. Pray you didn't screw it up.
5. Repeat.

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
Back when I went to high school we had a mechanics class you could take your senior year if you took metal shop the year before. We were paired up with a like minded student - Chevy guy, Ford guy, or Mopar guy - and each pair of students were given that manufacturer's engine from a junk yard. You had the whole year to tear it down, and rebuild it from the bottom up to the carburetor. At the end of the year you had a completely rebuilt engine that you could buy real cheap, and that money kept the class going. It was a lot of fun and a great experience, and you always had the instructor close by if you had any problems. I saved a lot of money over the years by taking that class. :coolman:

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
I've always wanted to know how to tear down my own motor and do internal work and stuff like that. I dont like paying other people to work on my truck, but if i have no other choice i will. I do enjoy working on my truck, because in the end you feel a lot better about it and you learn a lot more about your car/truck that way.

I was just wondering how u guys out there that are able to tear down your lightnings or cobra's, were able to learn this stuff??

i can understand that ur dad was a mechanic or sumthing and he taught u but no one in my family is into cars "mechanically" and i really want to be able to take apart my motor and put it back together and make it run as good, if not better than it did before, and to know what is working right and whats wrong internally.

I also know that having the right tools is a part of it but just the knowledge itself is where im stuck at.

i know how to do a total brake-job on my L and suspension and a few things here and there but thats it.

Maybe i should look into getting ASE certified???

Just picking at peoples brains here lol:pop:

great question:pop:

1990stanggt

Established Member
As a lot of other people already stated, the best way to learn is hands on. I helped my dad change the oil a lot and then started working on my car. Having buddies that like to work on and modify cars is also a big plus, you learn more when you have other people to watch and help. In this time, the internet and forums like these are TREMENDOUS tools to help you learn, it just takes time and patience. I'm only 21 and I feel very confident in any mechanical work I've ever done, the only thing I'm not completely comfortable with is tearing an engine apart (pistons, rods etc) and rebuilding it. In the future, I do plan on learning how to do that though.

As an example, I just got my truck about 2 1/2 months ago and unfortunately, I had to tear it down to the heads right away. I have NEVER worked on a MOD motor before but by researching and asking questions, I learned all about it and feel comfortable working on the L just as I do working on my Mustang that i've had since I was 14.

If you really want to know how to do it, make it a part of your life. Just start working on stuff......just be sure you have someone to help you out if something overwhelms you.

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
I think if you're a halfway intelligent person and you take your time and think about what you're doing, you shouldn't have too many issues.
Most people lack the patience and make a mountain out of a mole hill.
No one in my family is interested in mechanics so I had to just dive in and teach myself.
When I get stumped I turn to the internet.
Before I start a complicated procedure I'll search for a few "How-Tos" to cut down on the headaches.
But sometimes there are none and I end up making three left turns just to go right.

Users who are viewing this thread