Where did you put your blow off valve?

Jonny00GT

Established Member
I'm trying to figure out the best place to put my blow off for streetability.

On my blow through blower set up, too close to the MAF and it cuased problems. Ran pretty well with it right after the compressor.

I've seen some guys with it right after the intercooler about 18" from the MAF and wondered if this caused problems with idle.

My current inclination is to put it right after the head unit, so it's kinda close to the wastegate too so I can "T" into the vacuum line from the manual boost controller and releive pressure at the source right away as well as venting heated air before the intercooler.

Thoughts??

-Jonny

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
If you do a search on this most guys are running them on the cold side pipe from the intercooler to the intake. The weld the blow off bung into the pipe and use a tube or make a whole new cold side pipe to the intake. I wouldn't say its 18" between the 2 though, thats seems like too much. I know they vary it from 3"-4" pipe depending on the application.

89YSICoupe

Established Member
479_new04-08-09_003.gif

Jonny00GT

Established Member
If you do a search on this most guys are running them on the cold side pipe from the intercooler to the intake. The weld the blow off bung into the pipe and use a tube or make a whole new cold side pipe to the intake. I wouldn't say its 18" between the 2 though, thats seems like too much. I know they vary it from 3"-4" pipe depending on the application.

I guess that's my question...why would 18" be too much? I've found 10-12" between the last bend and the MAF is necessary to get a clean signal...how is the swirl effect caused by a blow off valve different? Or is it?

The reason I ask is, there is an 1100hp blower twin turbo terminator at the shop I will be using and they have a huge blow off in the elbow coming out of the fender well not 6" from the MAF. That just seemed like it would cause major problems with street manors, but appeared to be a Hellion designed kit.

What are the down falls of releiveing the built up pressure in the intake tract before the intercooler?

-Jonny

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I guess that's my question...why would 18" be too much? I've found 10-12" between the last bend and the MAF is necessary to get a clean signal...how is the swirl effect caused by a blow off valve different? Or is it?

The reason I ask is, there is an 1100hp blower twin turbo terminator at the shop I will be using and they have a huge blow off in the elbow coming out of the fender well not 6" from the MAF. That just seemed like it would cause major problems with street manors, but appeared to be a Hellion designed kit.

What are the down falls of releiveing the built up pressure in the intake tract before the intercooler?

-Jonny

I don't know that it would be, but I would think you may have some fit issues if you try to run 18" of straight tubing between the intercooler and intake. Thats why I said it may be too much. I wouldn't think the straight pipe would cause an issue for the blow off.

Jonny00GT

Established Member
I don't know that it would be, but I would think you may have some fit issues if you try to run 18" of straight tubing between the intercooler and intake. Thats why I said it may be too much. I wouldn't think the straight pipe would cause an issue for the blow off.

Oh, sorry...misscommunication. I was relating the distance from a bend to MAF to get a clear signal to the distance from the blow off valve to get a clear signal. I think the turbulence from the BOV would cause signal irregularity...just like you don't want to put the MAF too close to the TB. I just wasn't sure if there was a benefit from putting it closer than before the intercooler.

-Jonny

Users who are viewing this thread