where can i get help with student loans

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Carelessness on her part. She should not have gotten herself into that kind of debt; that is irresponsible. She had better be smokin' hawt, because she sure isn't smart.

That being said, she should go talk to the financial aid office at her school. Maybe they can help, and educational/student loans don't go into repayment until 6 months after you graduate or separate from your school, so if she is already repaying it I'd be willing to bet the loan is not a student loan, but some other kind of loan as fordsvtfan said.

blumnday99

Established Member
Tell her to ask Sallie Mae if her loan qualifies for an income based repayment (IBR) or income contingen repayment (ICR).

You may also want to see if Direct Federal Consolidation will re-consolidate the Sallie Mae loan at a lower interest rate. If the loan qualifies for the consolidation, the loan percentage will be less than 16%.

P.S. My student loans are at 375k.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Tell her to ask Sallie Mae if her loan qualifies for an income based repayment (IBR) or income contingen repayment (ICR).

You may also want to see if Direct Federal Consolidation will re-consolidate the Sallie Mae loan at a lower interest rate. If the loan qualifies for the consolidation, the loan percentage will be less than 16%.

WTF are you doing to be $375k in the hole? :eek:

And I thought my current financial situation sucked! :bowdown:

Satyr

Established Member
I have to agree with everyone else: while I don't find the amount to be that shocking, to not even have her RN yet is a cause for concern. What has she been doing with the money? According to their website, it costs around 15k/semester. That means that, with her amount of loans (and assuming she got NO aid, which is very, very rare), she should have her degree complete. How the hell does she have 120k in loans when she has only gone through 4-5 semesters (60k-75k)? You need to ask her WTF the money went, otherwise this is not someone you want anywhere near your finances.

She needs to file for deferment, and probably economic hardship once she graduates...for at least a few months, until she can get some cash together to afford rent+repayment costs. During the hardship period, she needs to find a consolidating agency that will not PIIHB.

EDIT for source: http://www.averett.edu/student-accounts/tuition-fees.html

What number degree are you on? lol

Last edited:

blumnday99

Established Member
I have to agree with everyone else: while I don't find the amount to be that shocking, to not even have her RN yet is a cause for concern. What has she been doing with the money? According to their website, it costs around 15k/semester. That means that, with her amount of loans (and assuming she got NO aid, which is very, very rare), she should have her degree complete. How the hell does she have 120k in loans when she has only gone through 4-5 semesters (60k-75k)? You need to ask her WTF the money went, otherwise this is not someone you want anywhere near your finances.

She needs to file for deferment, and probably economic hardship once she graduates...for at least a few months, until she can get some cash together to afford rent+repayment costs. During the hardship period, she needs to find a consolidating agency that will not PIIHB.

EDIT for source: AU Student Accounts: Tuition and Fees

What number degree are you on? lol

USC Dental isn't exactly cheap.

Sapperstang

Established Member

:nonono::nonono::nonono:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Finished two years ago. Had to take out some for equipment, rent, and livong expenses.

I hope you're specializing.

I have five degrees including two professional doctorates and all of my education didnt cost me that much.

However, my student loan payment was $10 more a month than my first house payment I bought in 1997.

Good luck.

ninety8 GT

Mustang Fanatic
Established Member
120k in loans for a RN job that starts out at 45k a year? Half of her take home income will be strictly for loan payment.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
**** all that shit. 120 at 16% at a 1000 minimum is 341 months and almost 96 grand in interest.

Time to get a job and get some income streams asap.

Users who are viewing this thread