where can i get help with student loans

jiggen01

Established Member
My gf has about $120,000 in student loans and some how sallie mae got her into a loan with an interest of 16%, so her payment is $1,000 a month and yet she cant even afford to even make the interest part of the payment every month, shes trying to become an RN but still has more schooling before she would even start making decent money. Where can we find some help with this?

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
+1,000

If she is still in school/training she should be able to get a forebearance until she is done. :beer:

Another +1 to this.

I wish her good luck, I can't imagine paying on 120k. And I thought my 30k was bad...

jliddle

Established Member
Should've went to a cheaper school IMO.

My ex is an RN and her classes were no where near that cost. Sallie Mae is awful, I have my loans thru them. They're always calling wanting to know if I want to change my plan around ( so they can add more interest). **** them.

HoustonGT

Established Member
Forebearance is the solution if she is still in school.

The woman is in nursing as well, but we are only at aout 32k combined in loans for right now. I swear these companies are the devil

finaliize

Established Member
WOW op. I am freaking out about the 11k i've taken out (since I blew it all on parts and parties!!!) But 120k? At least she is picking a great job. You should not have to pay them off until you stop going to school (or drop below 6 credits, at least here). Wish you both luck!!

16kOrBust

Established Member
Damn, $120k is crazy, but the 16% is what scares me even more. That's a credit card interest rate. Might as well have thrown it on the Visa and gotten some rewards points. :lol1:

HoustonGT

Established Member
WOW op. I am freaking out about the 11k i've taken out (since I blew it all on parts and parties!!!) But 120k? At least she is picking a great job. You should not have to pay them off until you stop going to school (or drop below 6 credits, at least here). Wish you both luck!!

Yea, actually the payments don't start until 6 months AFTER graduation, or at least thats how all of my loans are.

txyaloo

Established Member
Good god... Who the hell takes out $120k in student loans to get an undergrad degree from a non-ivy school??

She really doesn't need to take out any more loans. She needs to work part time and go to school.

BlownAway05

Established Member
Damn, even if she puts paying off her loans until she graduates, at 16%, that principal will balloon like a mother fu_ker.

I think it's going to be very hard for her to move her loans around until she graduates.

Good thing she is not a finance major because her decision making on getting a good ROI is terrible.

DO NOT MARRY HER!!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
My gf has about $120,000 in student loans and some how sallie mae got her into a loan with an interest of 16%, so her payment is $1,000 a month and yet she cant even afford to even make the interest part of the payment every month, shes trying to become an RN but still has more schooling before she would even start making decent money. Where can we find some help with this?

$120K in loans for undergrad and still isnt done. Holy crap, where does she go to school.

Also Sallie Mae didnt do crap to her, she did it to herself. She should have read what she signed. I am willing to bet she took a HEAL loan or the equivalent that is not a guaranteed student loan.

Sounds like she wanted a lot of spending money too.

SSRUNU2

Established Member
We took out about 16k when my wife was in nursing school. But the interest rate is only like 2.5%. with 120k in loans she should have an MD instead of a RN.

03MACHONE

Established Member
I'm with everyone else. How do you accumulate 120k worth of school debt with out having bachelors degree at bare minimum. That's about what mine will be after finishing pharmD school.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Holy shit! How do you rack $120k debt to be an RN? The GF was stressed about having that much debt when she planned on going to med school. TO BE A DOCTOR!

She actually decided on grad school instead (didn't like her MCAT scores, despite them being high). So now she will start school, and get paid a monthly stipend to go!

Users who are viewing this thread