Where Are The Suspension Gurus???

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Well, I'm finally going to bite the bullet and upgrade the suspension. The Cobra is a quasi daily driver(seem to drive the bike more often) and will more than likely not race her on the track. I do enjoy the curves and onramps though and would like to see some improvements in the IRS capability. Here's a list of what I'm thinking about doing.. The goal is to replace all of the components that will affect alignment. Anything else like subframe connectors or sway bars will be done at a later date. The suspension currently has about 130k miles on it.

Current Springs are Eibach Pros

Looking to get...

FTBR Bushing Kit

Tokico D-Spec Shocks/Struts (Might go down to the Tokico Blues but wanted the adjustability for the harsh roads and have the option to adjust for when travelling out to the western part of VA and NC.

Steeda x2 Ball Joints

Steeda or Maximum Motorsports Bumpsteer Kit

Steeda or Prothane Steering Rack Bushing Kit

J&M Caster/Camber Plates

IRS Passenger side lateral link (anyone know of a lesser expensive or aftermarket version of this thing for a reasonable price?)

I have also been thinking about the bushings in the lower control arms up front as well.

Other than suspension, the differential will be gone through. I might upgrade the gears from 3.27.

Is there anything that I may have missed or should look into adding to the project?

Thanks in advance!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Put subframe connectors at the top of your list.

They are a neccesary part of making the car handle better and will help the IRS. The suspension can't do its job when the whole car is twisting.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Put subframe connectors at the top of your list.

They are a neccesary part of making the car handle better and will help the IRS. The suspension can't do its job when the whole car is twisting.

This^^^ Should be one of the first mods.

And if you are going to do rack bushings then at least look into offset bushings. You could eliminate the bumpsteer kit that way.

Of course most know my feelings on bumpsteer kits anyway. lol

Myersprostatus

Established Member
Subframe connectors are an absolute first mod must.

You pretty much have all the basics down. Or you could spend a little extra and go all out tubular a-arms, tubular k-member, coilovers. Common man just swipe your card :)

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Sub frames, delrin irs bushing kit, mm coil overs, mm cc plates, mm k member.... Might as well do it right and purchase the mm kit.

racermatt

Established Member
These guys are correct, FLSFC need to be on top of your list. I would love to put a package together for you. I try to take care of the guys on this board!! Let me know if I can help!

shurur

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/213384-irs-tech-article.html

IRS Informational Article

The irs tech article is basically "the red pill"...which is mixed bag of tricks.....but is a good reading starting point.......However Now YOU have FTBR available to YOU.

Rear IRS : All FTBR stuff (you can have the under-seams welded if you like)
Front: See my signature

I'd recommend stifflers for subframe...because you can add on as you go..from the initial flsfc purchase.

strut tower braces if you want
shock tower braces if you want...bead weld the shock tower seams for future coilovers

Springs: HR Race with Bilstein B8 sports or equivalent...or coilover

just IMHO

I did the chassis and IRS first...then springs, shocks, struts...then the front end.

Last edited:

DC97Cobra

Established Member
I agree with all of you about installing FLSFCs. I'm just trying to do this in steps and replace those components that are currently worn/failing and will require the suspension to be realigned.

installing a strut tower brace has also been on my mind but am currently running a JLT CAI. Unless I switch over to their carbon fiber version, I will not be able to run the brace.

STAMPEDE3.. What aer your thoughts on Bumpsteer kits? I'm guessing the offset bushings pretty much do the same thing? I was not sure if the bushings should be used with the bumpsteer kit or not.

slo984now.. the lateral link is the name for what others call the tierod on the IRS section of the suspension.

I guess my biggest worry was if there was anything that I was missing (other than SFCs) and if there are other suggestions for components that I listed above.

After talking with a local shop, they suggested that I not yet worry about the bushings since it will mostly be a street car. Thoughts?

Last edited:

DC97Cobra

Established Member
These guys are correct, FLSFC need to be on top of your list. I would love to put a package together for you. I try to take care of the guys on this board!! Let me know if I can help!

I have seriously thought about reaching out to Steeda for parts. I had a 97 Cobra that had all three GTRAC stages and loved how she handled. Wouldn't mind seeing the same or better capability out of the 01 Cobra!

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I thought offset rack bushings were a no-no with a stock K? IIRC, per MM, they can actually increase bumpsteer rather than correct it. I remember talking to MM about this years and years ago before I did mine, so I ordered center drilled aluminum ones instead.

Also, get aluminum rack bushing instead of urethane.

omj

Established Member
I thought offset rack bushings were a no-no with a stock K? IIRC, per MM, they can actually increase bumpsteer rather than correct it. I remember talking to MM about this years and years ago before I did mine, so I ordered center drilled aluminum ones instead.

Also, get aluminum rack bushing instead of urethane.

That's what MM told me about 4 months ago before I installed my rack bushings. Best change in the front end so far. I forgot to mention that earlier.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The only reason for installing a bumpsteer kit is to correct the misalignment of the tie rod end and the control arm.

Once the car is lowered if the tie rod end and the control arm arent parallel thats what causes bumpsteer (a change in either toe in or toe out of the tire) when the suspension extends and compresses.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Well just ordered the Tokico TODSK502 kit that includes all 4 shocks/struts and springs. For $456.00 it was to good of a deal to turn away for a new kit! I should see the kit shortly after SEMA.

DailyDriver

Established Member
just go to Maximum motor sports and get one of there grip boxs with bilstien coil overs front and back or talk to them they can set you up with what you want. If your doing everything i remember a few months ago I got everything to do coil overs front and back with all new parts and bushings, bolts and came out around $3.5k. take off $800 if your not going coil over

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I agree with all of you about installing FLSFCs. I'm just trying to do this in steps and replace those components that are currently worn/failing and will require the suspension to be realigned.

installing a strut tower brace has also been on my mind but am currently running a JLT CAI. Unless I switch over to their carbon fiber version, I will not be able to run the brace.

STAMPEDE3.. What aer your thoughts on Bumpsteer kits? I'm guessing the offset bushings pretty much do the same thing? I was not sure if the bushings should be used with the bumpsteer kit or not.

slo984now.. the lateral link is the name for what others call the tierod on the IRS section of the suspension.

I guess my biggest worry was if there was anything that I was missing (other than SFCs) and if there are other suggestions for components that I listed above.

After talking with a local shop, they suggested that I not yet worry about the bushings since it will mostly be a street car. Thoughts?

You will get more out of an STB than the cheap JLT. In time all cars strut tower start to sink into the engine bay. If you don't believe me look at a taurus strut tower. There are little notches in the tower, 2 or 3. They are so a shop can drill out the strut mount and weld it to one of the notches to get proper alignment. If you run coilovers then the front end weight is on the tower not the K member which I would think only shorten the time it takes to sag.

The STB will help prevent this and keep your car lined up correctly. What would you rather do: Gain a few hp using a JLT or keep going through tires and suspension pieces because your car doesn't line up right? The minimal gains of a JLT aren't worth it over the cost of tires and suspension and alignments.

snakeraper11b

Established Member

The FTBR kit should be top on your list. If you do NOTHING else to the car, do the FTBR bushings....That shop is dumb for telling you otherwise, or they have never driven a cobra with them....

Users who are viewing this thread