When you have no cats...

MouTine

Established Member
...what codes you get? P0156? Or does that mean I have bad wireing or sensors itself?

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I think I remember the P0156 on my car, it was caused by not having cats. Instead of MIL's I used the spark plug non-foulers, works great and no more CEL.

MouTine

Established Member
No tune, no cats. I made myself kind of "sparkplug non-foulers" but I think I made them too short.

MouTine

Established Member
Well then... Why I'm getting P0156? I'm also getting punch of other codes... Sh... I'm so fed up with this car at the moment!

Does it matter if i clear codes with scanner or unplug battery lead? Is there diffirence? Can some codes still be in memory?

tt54l32v

Established Member
Well then... Why I'm getting P0156? I'm also getting punch of other codes... Sh... I'm so fed up with this car at the moment!

Does it matter if i clear codes with scanner or unplug battery lead? Is there diffirence? Can some codes still be in memory?

what are the other codes the one 156 is usually a bad o2

FMCguy

Ford rules.
Established Member
Heres the definition for P0156.

Number P0156
Type Powertrain - Fuel and Air Metering - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description: HO2S No Activity Circuit Conditions

Location Bank 2 Sensor 2
Cause Engine running in closed loop for 5 minutes, then the PCM detected that the HO2S failed the maximum or minimum voltage range check (middle signal out-of-range)

It should be caused by the cats.

tt54l32v

Established Member
Heres the definition for P0156.

Number P0156
Type Powertrain - Fuel and Air Metering - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description: HO2S No Activity Circuit Conditions

Location Bank 2 Sensor 2
Cause Engine running in closed loop for 5 minutes, then the PCM detected that the HO2S failed the maximum or minimum voltage range check (middle signal out-of-range)

It should be caused by the cats.

without cats the rear o2 will read more like the front o2s in which case would throw a 420-430 that code explains that the o2 did not switch enough during the allotted time period, which means it was stuck in the middle which means no cats had nothing to with it. the car has an unplugged o2, bad wiring , contaminated sensor element, or malfunctioning heater circuit, which is inside the o2

MouTine

Established Member
I have allmost all codes related to emission stuff b/c I have removed them. P1443, 0411, 0401, 0000, 0153... What a smart idea... Today or tomorrow I'm going to put SAI back working. Hope then I could kill atleast one code. I have ordered new purge valve and flow sensor for EVAP system and vacum electric valve for EGR. They should be here within few weeks.

Front 02 sensors are only one 'n half year old and these new ones are original Ford / NTK service parts. Rear sensors are original I think...

I'm feeling I'm missing about 20hp. I couldn't eaven reach 100mph trapspeed at quartermile run. And I have posted few topics to figure out why my timeing start to jump up 'n down sharply after 4500rpm.

Killer hangover again...

97RedFang

B.A.M.F.
Established Member
Know I haven't posted much, and not sure if it helps...but...i was throwing a 1443, 0430, 0420...replaced the purge valve and they all haven't come back...might just wanna try that first

MouTine

Established Member
Installed the SAI system back. Looks like it working well. Will se that later... Who ever put that new air pump before my ownership he wasn't very pro. That rubber dust plug was there in inletport. No wonder it didn't work in the first place.

Somethig is wrong with the EGR electric valve. I can breath both ways tru that valve. It's totaly open. Nothing happens if I plug it into car wireing. I tested that full 13-14v are suplied to plug. I allso tested ohm rate of that valve and there is 30 ohm. So electricaly it's ok, but I think valve is just stuck open.

FMCguy

Ford rules.
Established Member
without cats the rear o2 will read more like the front o2s in which case would throw a 420-430 that code explains that the o2 did not switch enough during the allotted time period, which means it was stuck in the middle which means no cats had nothing to with it. the car has an unplugged o2, bad wiring , contaminated sensor element, or malfunctioning heater circuit, which is inside the o2

Yes thats true. But this code is also set when it stays in closed loop for 5 min or more after start up. Since there are no cats to "light off" the downstreem o2's stay flat lined matching the upstreem's in closed loop. This "can" be caused by the cats. Not saying that the o2's are not the problem. But since you need the non foulers or whatever trick for the o2's anyways, see if it goes away before you replace o2 sensors.

MouTine

Established Member
First of all... I would like to thank all of you to take part of this dilemma. Wish you guys were here drinking with us... =)

jakesspv6

Established Member
how come P0155 and P1519 came up for me?

Edit: P1519? Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open

how do i fix this???

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread