When Will It End? Yet Another New Car Thread

TexasPoke

Established Member
Hello Errybody,

Need some opinions on narrowing down my car search. I am selling my current vehicle this weekend and so I will be driving our beater until I can find something I like. I live in the foothills of Colorado (Not Denver, so streets/county roads suck with plowing until you hit the city)

My current vehicle: 2010 Infiniti FX50S

Budget for new wheels: 30k

What I have narrowed it down to (Narrow is a loose word here)..., but it's obvious I'm in the "Im about to turn 30 and having a crisis boat. I know this will be the last car that probably won't have a kid in the backseat of it, so I am struggling to decide whether to get a really fun car for a few years...or combine the thrill of a fun car while also sort of future proofing myself? I dunno, im sure many other dude's have been in this spot.

2010-13 Ford F-150 EcoBoost? Those Platinum editions are super clean looking (also probably stupid expensive)

BMW 335 X-Drive (prefer the older Twin Turbo setup, not crazy expensive)

Mid 2010's Porsche Cayenne Turbo (This is what I truly want, but I worry about the maintenance...anyone here driven or have experience with the Cayenne's? only interested in the Turbo or GTS)

New Model Ford Explorer Sport (Heard good things and I believe they're actually decently quick/compares to the FX50s in terms of performance?)

Lastly,

I am interested in the SVT Raptor's. Preferably, whichever that Orange color is. I think they may be just a tad out of my price range though? I know it would rage in my mountain town. One question on those: Is there anyway to get them without those hilarious decals and vinyl all over the side of it? I just think they scream "I've invested my entire life savings into Affliction!"

Anyways,

Thanks for any and all opinions. Alternatives thrown out would be stellar as well.

TexasPoke

Established Member
Have you ever considered an Sti?

Thanks for the reply, Bigdude.

Yeah I have. Unfortunately, they just don't do much for me cosmetically. I don't really care for their looks (new or old). It also doesn't help that everyone drives a Suby here, which there's a reason for, they're monsters in the snow, but I just can't get into them. Maybe one of those everyone has one in CO, so I would rather do something different.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Obviously a great all-around choice for a mountain whip.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Coworker bought a Cayenne used and the first time I saw him drive it in, I warned him that they are notoriously unreliable. He replied by telling me he hadn't owned it a week and already had it in the shop. Saw another broke down by the side of the road getting a tow just about a month ago.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I would recommend you stay away from anything from Porsche or BMW with your budget. The car payment will not be your biggest expense.

fmylife

Established Member
A guy that works for me has a new Explorer Sport and it's very nice. The dash seems to go on forever though lol!

How long have you had the FX50S? I was looking at those a while ago and always thought having one would be pretty fun.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I've owned two Explorer Sports and they are badass. I own a 15 F150 for my DD now and it's badass. You can't go wrong either way. Pick the one that best fits your needs and enjoy the EcoBoost.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Having owned a 335xi, I vote for that out of that list. Just a Cobb AP OTS tune & BMS DCI & I went 12.9 @ 109 (Auto trans) on street tires.

If you want a fun car, why not try a C5Z or base C6? Miata?

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
A guy that works for me has a new Explorer Sport and it's very nice. The dash seems to go on forever though lol!

How long have you had the FX50S? I was looking at those a while ago and always thought having one would be pretty fun.
I have a FX50S and love it. Pretty quick and has every feature you could want in a vehicle. I've only seen 1 other on the road. Very reliable and sound great with a muffler delete. I thought about the Explorer Sport but wanted a V8 and did not need or want a vehicle that size.

I have owned an Evo and STI when they were first introduced to the US years ago. Going to either of those cars from a FX50S would be retarded other than modding potential.

Dusten

Established Member
Look at the FX4 F150's, I felt the interior was easier to live with. No ****ing fake wood. We bought an 11 brand new, and bought the fx4 over the platinum because of the interior trim. It had all the same options.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Brother had a Cayenne and didn't have any issues with it until it was in an accident.
F150's are really nice and get my vote for utility.
Have you looked at a B8 (2010+) S4? AWD, 6 speed manual, and supercharged 333hp stock and plenty of mods available to keep you happy. I've had my S4 buried in snow and drove out of it like it was nothing.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The 10-11 Orange Raptors are probably out of the 30k range, unless it has some miles on it or it's the 5.4 Engine option.

Either the F-150 or the Explorer sport can be tuned to make good power and it's a functional vehicle that can used for multiple applications.

Maybe it's different in your area, but most higher trim 10-14 F150's still were in the mid 30's around here. Haven't checked in 2-3 months though, maybe the AL F-150's knocked down their value?

10splaya22

Established Member
Brother had a Cayenne and didn't have any issues with it until it was in an accident.
F150's are really nice and get my vote for utility.
Have you looked at a B8 (2010+) S4? AWD, 6 speed manual, and supercharged 333hp stock and plenty of mods available to keep you happy. I've had my S4 buried in snow and drove out of it like it was nothing.

This is a great option, 6mt or DCT are both good transmissions plus lots of mods as already said. Lots of fun but also more mature.

Dusten

Established Member
I had a b8.5 S4 with the dsg and fuggin loved it. maintenance was a little spendy, but not terrible.

Dusten

Established Member
I have a diesel too, so spendy has kind of become a word I don't use anymore, lol.

My diesel is out of warranty. I do it all myself. My S4 was a CPO car, so I took it to the dealer. $110 for oil changes. $900 for the 36k service.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
My diesel is out of warranty. I do it all myself. My S4 was a CPO car, so I took it to the dealer. $110 for oil changes. $900 for the 36k service.

Mine is too, I'll be dropping $1700 on injectors in the next week or two on it. All in all, my S4 is a little cheaper to own compared to the truck, but neither are cheap...not killer either compared to parts for an AMG for example.

Dusten

Established Member
Seriously there. My buddy just had an E63 in shop, it was like 5k for brakes on all 4 wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread