When swapping IRS for solid is exhaust swap a must?

RealBadDude

Banned
ac427cobra said:
On an IRS car, the exhaust goes under the IRS assembly. On a stick axle, the exhaust goes over the axle and out the back. :read:

unless you are running dumps out the side before the rear tire, you are going to have to get the over axle GT type exhaust.

RealBadDude

Banned
SVTim said:
That is all internal to the housing though. How would that affect the exhaust hanging below it?

because the solid stick axle is going to smack into your IRS exhaust every bump you hit.

the hangers are not located in the same places.

the solid axle does sit lower so the routing of the pipes will run smack into your axle tubes.

they are not in any way interchangeable.

blackonblacksls

Established Member
SVTim said:
I just really like the look of the exhaust hanging below the pumpkin....

Its not the price...i just prefer the look....

Of course they are going to look different....One goes above the axle and one goes over...You cant go above the axle on an IRS cause there is no room....however why cant you go below the axle on a straight?

Isnt the solid bolted to the frame? I can see how it would teeter-totter around the pumpkin but how can the pumpkin itself actually move up and down?

Ill just have to look at a GT or Mach 1 and see what it look like.

ok but there is a difference between looking different as in cobravsgt hood. and looking different as in cobrahood vs trans am hood. the irs and solid catback would be more similar to the second of the two examples i mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread