When swapping IRS for solid is exhaust swap a must?

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
I did a search and couldnt find the answer to this question.

Bottom line is i just really like how the IRS exhaust looks and would like to keep it but i may be going to a solid here very soon. Do you have to swap the exhaust for the over axle type?

mytjojo

Established Member
YES!!!
did my buddies 01 cobra, swaped his IRS out for solid axel. your gonna need new exhaust

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SVTim said:
I dont understand why? Is the solid lower or something?

On an IRS car, the exhaust goes under the IRS assembly. On a stick axle, the exhaust goes over the axle and out the back. :read:

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
On an IRS car, the exhaust goes under the IRS assembly. On a stick axle, the exhaust goes over the axle and out the back. :read:

i know that....but whats wrong with just keeping it going underneath? Is the only problem the hangers or is there some other reason? :read:

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
the hangers for the IRS exhaust are built into the IRS unit. Besides that, the IRS exhaust was made specifically to clear the IRS and then bend outward at a certain point. If you keep that exhaust on a solid axle, not only will you not have those essential rear hangers, the exhaust will not line up correctly when it goes underneath the axle. If you look at where the Diff is on an IRS compared to a solid, I believe it sits higher (sucked up underneath the car more). This is why they are able to make an exhaust fit underneath it. That's also why there are three-piece half shafts in an IRS instead of single-piece units. Try it out if you want, but I have a feeling you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure it WILL NOT WORK.

Last edited:

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
BAFRAID said:
the hangers for the IRS exhaust are built into the IRS unit. Besides that, the IRS exhaust was made specifically to clear the IRS and then bend outward at a certain point. If you keep that exhaust on a solid axle, not only will you not have those essential rear hangers, the exhaust will not line up correctly when it goes underneath the axle. If you look at where the Diff is on an IRS compared to a solid, I believe it sits higher (sucked up underneath the car more). This is why they are able to make an exhaust fit underneath it. That's also why there are three-piece half shafts in an IRS instead of single-piece units. Try it out if you want, but I have a feeling you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure it WILL NOT WORK.

Well thats what i was looking for....reasons why it wouldn't work. I dont except people telling me it just wont work without qualifying it.

Ya i can see how the diff would be lower...that would definitely create issues...hangers are an easy fix though....

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
it's not only that, but I'm pretty sure that whole rear end is moving in a solid car....in IRS cars, I think it's jus the half axles......

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
suaveflooder said:
it's not only that, but I'm pretty sure that whole rear end is moving in a solid car....in IRS cars, I think it's jus the half axles......

That is all internal to the housing though. How would that affect the exhaust hanging below it?

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
I think flooder may have a point. Say you put the car on a lift to install the IRS exhaust on a solid-axle car. The suspension is hanging as far down as it will possibly go right? Well when you put the weight of the car back on that axle, all of the sudden the exhaust is hanging WAY WAY low, right?? On the flip side, if you were somehow to hang it with the weight of the car already on the axle, all it would take is having that suspension extend the slightest little bit, and all of the sudden you're axle is trying to push your exhaust off the car. That's the whole deal with an IRS too, the housing stays put, the control arms and the half shafts are doing all the moving....

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
The exhaust is going to be 3 inches below and on the edge of the pumpkin.....theres no way it is going to move that much.

MVD

Established Member
SVTim said:
The exhaust is going to be 3 inches below and on the edge of the pumpkin.....theres no way it is going to move that much.

Yes it will.

Just do it right and install the correct catback. Don't rig up catback to save $250 that not only will look foolish hanging that low but also you will likely have problems with.

Besides you are forgetting about the sway bar which hangs below the axle. At rest my rear sway bar is only 4" off the ground, so you are going to be 3" below that with the exhaust :nonono:

Just do it right.....you will have less headaches.

gteatr6

Established Member
If price is an issue, check out Jegs or Summit. I bought the Jegs cat back for 190 shipped!! Now it doesn't have chrome tips or anything like that, but it is functional. It comes out in the factory location and the tail pipes are round not notched. You can also get some used stuff from prestige mustang. I have dealt with them and I know they have some flowmaster cat back cheap. You will need the factory gt hangers which you can get at Brenspeed for around $50.00 (bolts, clips, new rubber, stainless hangers).

blackonblacksls

Established Member
i dont see how you would look at those two different exhuasts and think for a second that it would fit.. and like said the whole solid axle moves up and down.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
SVTim said:

You'd be amazed just how much that axel actually does move. The second you go through a dip wrong, drop off a curb short cutting it, or hit a bump and the rear lifts, your exhaust would be gone.....

SVTim

Beer Me!
Established Member
es it will.

Just do it right and install the correct catback. Don't rig up catback to save $250 that not only will look foolish hanging that low but also you will likely have problems with.

Besides you are forgetting about the sway bar which hangs below the axle. At rest my rear sway bar is only 4" off the ground, so you are going to be 3" below that with the exhaust

Just do it right.....you will have less headaches.

I just really like the look of the exhaust hanging below the pumpkin....

Its not the price...i just prefer the look....

i dont see how you would look at those two different exhuasts and think for a second that it would fit.. and like said the whole solid axle moves up and down.

Of course they are going to look different....One goes above the axle and one goes over...You cant go above the axle on an IRS cause there is no room....however why cant you go below the axle on a straight?

Isnt the solid bolted to the frame? I can see how it would teeter-totter around the pumpkin but how can the pumpkin itself actually move up and down?

Ill just have to look at a GT or Mach 1 and see what it look like.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
SVTim said:
Isnt the solid bolted to the frame? I can see how it would teeter-totter around the pumpkin but how can the pumpkin itself actually move up and down?

I love the IRS exhaust too, thats why I put an IRS in my car :D

Anywho, to answer your question, NO! :kaboom:

The solid axle is not bolted to the frame. It's held on by the upper and lower control arms and the quad shocks, all which let the axle move up and down freely, but not rotate or move side to side. Find a guy with a GT and put the car up on a two post lift. The entire solid axle drops down a good 8 inches or until the shocks fully extend. Don't think for a second that you can run that exhaust with the solid rear, unless you have some crazy flex sections in the middle before the rearend. Sorry dude, just face the facts, you aren't gonna win this argument.

Just beep up your IRS and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread