When Purchasing Pre-Owned Built 4R70W, Should I...

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Hey guys,

I’m about 90% sure that I will purchase a used 4R70W that has been built. I’m new to the Auto scene but have been researching as much as I can in a short period. I’d like to get your advice on this setup and ask if there is anything I should do prior to purchase/install.

My Setup:
4.6L Teksid, Hellion 76mm, Solid Axle w/ 3:55 gears.

Auto Setup:
4R70W built by Freddy Brown w/ EOD and Lock Up
FB Performance - PRO STREET/STRIP 4STB-E (4R70W/AODE) - W/EOD & L/U (FORD MOD MTR)

Valve Body:
Full Manual w/ Trans Brake

Converter:

FB 9” Multi-disk

Shifter:
Hurst Pistol Grip 1/4 Stick
SHIFTER, HURST PISTOL GRIP 1/4 STICK FWD PATTERN - HOLCOMB MOTORSPORTS INC

Tranny still has receipts of purchase. Purchased August 2008. Not sure what has happened to it in the mean time. Swap will be done by a local reputable shop.

Should I have this tranny checked out prior to install? Should the converter be checked out too? I’m a little nervous about buying it and just having them install it…

Thanks for the help guys…

~Steve

Blackedout

Established Member
I installed a Freddy Brown trans in mine this spring.... also know of a few locals with (FB) trans with TONS of track passes on them...NO ISSUES :beer:

Blackedout

Established Member
Was yours freshly built or did you buy it used?

NEW... everything you listed is what I put into mine... You could call them and see what they say...Could ship to them and have them go through it before it goes in your car...

what did it come out of ??? how much power and how many track passes has it seen ??

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Tranny is coming out of a Turbo Mach 1 with similar power. Driver of the car is like 60 years old. Dude has money, takes car of his car, confident that he isn't the "abusing" type... just likes blowing money on his car... don't even think it saw a whole bunch of track time.

I will be more abusive with it lol, but regardless, it's used and I don't know for sure what's going on inside. But everything is in working order as far as the tranny goes.

Never owned an automatic before so I don't know what standard practice is as far as rebuild... as you know, with a clutch, there's not much rebuild... you trash it, then replace it...

Blackedout

Established Member
Did you see any leaks ??? Is it still in his car if so have him take you for a ride... :D yours is going to haul with an AUTO... :D

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
haven't seen any leaks... the local shop purchased the car and the tranny is still in it. Yeah, it will rock with an auto... also looking into E-85. Trying to figure out the fuel system...

Blackedout

Established Member
E-85 is the way to go... :beer: Are you going return or returnless ???

TRBO VNM

I would have it checked out by the place that built it and see if they offer any other warranty or anything.

I recently did a swap for hurtnem and let's just say Performance Automatic won't be hearing from him again. He had them go through it and repair a few things. Put 200 miles on it and it was back to them and he was stuck buying their VB.

Users who are viewing this thread