When is a chip needed

_DC

Established Member
When is a chip needed? I am trying to stay away from a pulley. Right now I am going with CAI, QMP exhaust with cats. Looking at a throttle body also but yet to decide. I would like to avoid a chip if possible.

500hp03Cobra

Established Member
Why do u want to avoid the two most important mods? IMO, a chip is the most important because a good tune makes a world of difference. A pulley is also an awesome idea becasue of massive power gains... if you've got a cobra, its pretty hard to stay clear of voiding your warranty unless you plan on not modding it at all. Find a mod friendly dealer... my dealer will fix anything as long as teh mod didn't cause the problem. Im sure some of these types of dealers exist in your area

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Re: No Chip

Originally posted by _DC
Trying to avoid the two biggest warranty killers.
Hang around here long enough and you'll quickly see that a lot of folks with what they thought were dealer friendly mods have warrantee issues over really stupid crap. So I went from an ultra-conservative "protect my warrantee" strategy to "oh, the heck with it" and cancelled my extended warrantee and installed a 2.90 pulley and a chip. Best move I ever made. Set me "free" and I'm having a ball with the car. I understand your wanting to protect your warrantee and that is cool if you can control your urge to mod, but if not, I say go for it. These cars were MADE to be modded!
:burnout:

Weasel

Established Member
Re: No Chip

Originally posted by _DC
Trying to avoid the two biggest warranty killers.

Hang in there. These are my "mods" and stats. These are generally considered as warranty friendly. The warranty approach seems to be a bit fluid and lies within the discretion of your service dept and Ford. If, even stock, it appears that you've abused the car, raced, etc. your warranty may not be maintained. If you're nice to your service dept., it probably helps, but in some cases, even that may not be enough. IOW there seems to be a wide range of interpretations as to what is warranty friendly.
At some point in the future I may move to the dark side, just for the sake of doing it but right now the car is powerful enough to suit MY needs. As they say your mileage may vary.

Mike

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I totally agree with Bob, and now I have only 10,000 miles left on the warrantee anyhow!!! You'll get tired of hearing that everone else is going so much faster and having so much fun. You'll also starting asking yourself after awhile, " is my car getting a bit slower???". It's all about the need for speed! I WAS conservative, now I HAVE to have something different going on with my car. I have to be modding it in some way. It's fun that way!

_DC

Established Member
lol You guys are much kinder then my brother in law. He told me to stop being a pussy................

_DC

Established Member
Mike

WOW only exhaust and a CAI and your putting down that HP.

I was hoping that with my C&L CAI and QMP 3" exhaust I would be near 400 rwhp.

Rice Eatr

Established Member
With a baby on the way I am also trying to do as much as I can with out a chip....atleast for now. I am currently runnning a 12" filter & Magnaflow Cat back. I just got an extra blower which I am going to have ported & I am going to run a 3.25" Harley pulley. I am hoping this will hold me over for a while...

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
if you really want power you should try jlt's cai there is alot of happy shoppers. very impressive power gains. www.jltcoldair.com after you get power into your car your not gonna want to stop lol

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
how much is the qmp 3" exhaust with 1 3/4 headers? im trying to et a little list together for how much $$$ i'll need when i start modding lol

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by xVENOMx
if you really want power you should try jlt's cai there is alot of happy shoppers. very impressive power gains. www.jltcoldair.com after you get power into your car your not gonna want to stop lol

http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ is the web address and I plan on ordering next pay check.... I hear nothing but good things this and the knn system.

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by _DC
I was hoping that with my C&L CAI and QMP 3" exhaust I would be near 400 rwhp.

Shouldn't be a problem. I just pulled 411 SAE with a Magnaflow catback and a CAI. I'm not ready to kill my warranty though either.

Have fun. :beer:

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
Originally posted by LCCOBRA
http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ is the web address and I plan on ordering next pay check.... I hear nothing but good things this and the knn system.

yes thank you, it is still early for me lol does anyone know the price for the full qmp echaust with out cats

Users who are viewing this thread