when did you guys decide you wanted kids?

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Fact that you’re asking tells me you’ll do great.

- Keep your family first
- Go on lotsa family trips
- Watch who they hang with/talk to
- Try to never miss a parent/teacher conference
- Coach/help coach their sports teams
- Be ready for parents who think their kid is the next Jordan or Brady
- Don’t believe everything the schools tell you - lotta shitty teachers out there
- Get them involved in some form of music
- Encourage them to always have one skill they love to do even though it may not be cool.
Like woodworking, sculpture, play piano, presidential history, work on cars, read novels by a famous author...
You know, something they can call their own...
- Have them volunteer with you
- Kids change a lot as they grow up, so do their skills
True story:
Kid my sons age cried in baseball, basketball, football if he didn’t do something well.
Always had a great arm, but he was a ball-baby. Grew out of it in late middle school.
Today, he’s on the NY Yankees farm team as a pitcher.

Good luck!

Adower

Established Member
Fact that you’re asking tells me you’ll do great.

- Keep your family first
- Go on lotsa family trips
- Watch who they hang with/talk to
- Try to never miss a parent/teacher conference
- Coach/help coach their sports teams
- Be ready for parents who think their kid is the next Jordan or Brady
- Don’t believe everything the schools tell you - lotta shitty teachers out there
- Get them involved in some form of music
- Encourage them to always have one skill they love to do even though it may not be cool.
Like woodworking, sculpture, play piano, presidential history, work on cars, read novels by a famous author...
You know, something they can call their own...
- Have them volunteer with you
- Kids change a lot as they grow up, so do their skills
True story:
Kid my sons age cried in baseball, basketball, football if he didn’t do something well.
Always had a great arm, but he was a ball-baby. Grew out of it in late middle school.
Today, he’s on the NY Yankees farm team as a pitcher.

Good luck!
I agree with all of this. But would also like to add; Parent first , friend second. I have seen where to many parents try to be a friend first to their child. Usually doesn't turn out well. Save that for when they're an adult.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I'm 8 years older than my wife and divorced, so I got the ultimatum, get married and have a kid(s), or move on...

Married in Oct 2012, my daughter, Shelby, was born October 22, 2013.

CV355

_
Established Member
My wife wants to start a family, but I'm convinced I'll be dead in the next 5 years from stress-related health afflictions. I figure if I don't, and things magically get better, I'd be open to it. Otherwise... :/

nxhappy

Established Member
I think age has a lot to do with it. After I turned 30, I felt like it was time lol.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Good luck man. The advice I'll offer is to be patient with your Wife and child. She'll be scared being a first time mother and worry over the craziest shit that will make no sense to you. And make sure to openly communicate your feelings both ways with your Wife because being responsible for another life together is a REAL challenge for any relationship. Once the child is here make sure you still make time for you and your Wife although it will seem like there is none....it's essential to not drifting apart and taking each other for granted. I know from personal experience and terrible mistakes. You'll love your children like nothing else, make sure to do that for your Wife while keep the needs for your happiness in mind as well. In the last year I've figured out it's the key to a healthy relationship and a happy family. No one is perfect but if you're present and willing to put the effort in being married and having children is amazing.

well gents....my wife and I are finally making the decision....and truthfully i am scared shitless. She is going off birth control, and whatever happens will happen. I have known my wife for 14 years. We have been married for almost 5. I love her to ****ing death and we make a great team. I am 30 years old.......and I need to grow up....LOL. But honestly I'm ready for the next step in life and we have made the decision. I have my finances sorted, I'm in a great home, and frankly I don't want to be too old when I have my first kid. I know you can never be "prepared" for a kid but I am still nervous. I'm not really sure what I am asking from you guys. I guess maybe some advise. And maybe a blessing LOL. It's just a crazy to think about children and being a parent. Being a good role model for another human being.....When all this time, I've only taken care of myself, and thought only of my life. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks =)

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I got married at 25. First baby girl at 28. Second baby girl at 31. 33 years old now. Wife and I just knew I guess and discontinued birth control. She's three years younger than I.

I guess the only surprise was how quickly we created that baby girl. Both times. It's a blessing though I have some close friends hat tried for years in between children.

Oh and I wouldn't trade for a day without them.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
thank you guys for sharing your experiences =)
The two biggest things that helped me....babys and toddlers can go more limp than a wet noodle and they're awkwardly strong. They'll surprise you. When you have them, have fun and never look back!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BladeX10

Established Member
I'll never even think about having a kid until im settled down with a house and financially stable. I know so many people who had kids while living in an apartment working a dead end job and they cant get themselves out of that hole. No way i'll ever be able to live like that.

ssssnake

Established Member
I'll never even think about having a kid until im settled down with a house and financially stable. I know so many people who had kids while living in an apartment working a dead end job and they cant get themselves out of that hole. No way i'll ever be able to live like that.

I'd always say I'd have kids after we were settled and making more money, and a lady told me, "Then, you'll never have kids, because it'll never be the way you want it." LOL We were poor when I got pregnant.

01FR500

HPDE
Established Member

That's how I was, but looking back I think it might be one of my biggest regrets. Maybe if we hadn't had all this trouble trying to have a kid then maybe I would think differently because I'd have a toddler by now if it had all worked out the first time.

I was with the right woman, dated for a solid 11 years before getting married, married now for 4 years. I wanted to have everything in place before getting married, before having a kid. Shoulda married her right out of high school and started popping little ones out then. If you're driven to succeed then you'll still have upward mobility, plus kids to enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread