When did you discover the LIGHTNING?

H46D

Shark attacks up
Established Member
I never knew that they existed until May 03'. I saw one at a dealer and asked them whats that?..The rest was History. Had one on June 1 03':rockon:

I guess better late than never!

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Originally posted by H46D
I never knew that they existed until May 03'. I saw one at a dealer and asked them whats that?..The rest was History. Had one on June 1 03':rockon:

I guess better late than never!

In 1993 when the Ford news letter for employees had the writeup for the Cobra and Lightning in it. Hard to believe that the cost has almost incresed by $10,000 since 93.:eek: Thats roughtly a $1,000 a year.

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Have known of them for a while. When you read alot of truckin and Sport truck mags....ya keep up with all the new goodies that come out. As far as my first tie in with one on the street, my little dakota never stood a chance. And since then....i've always wanted one.

ShaneN.

Established Member
I remember reading about them in the paper in 99 I believe but at the local car show for all the new vehicles I saw in a silver one and knewwwwwwww I had to get one in a couple years. I can't see myself letting go of it anytime soon either!

bglf83

Established Member
i discovered the truck about 6 months ago when i was looking at cobras, and as of about two weeks ago i bought a lightning not a cobra. i love the truck.

Madhouse

warrior
Established Member
A couple of my buds were telling me about this billy badass truck with a supercharger (I didn't know what a supercharger was). We stopped in at a Ford dealer by our office on a lunch break and I bought one 40 minutes later.

When I got home that day, my wife was completely unimpressed. She said she couldn't imagine and uglier interior. I've had it 3 1/2 years now and she still doesn't really care for my truck.

I, however, love this truck. :)

TrueBlueSVT

Established Member
I got a '99 Silverado 4by4 when I was 16 and decided to put a 9 inch lift and 35 inch tires under it...lets just say it was in the shop more than I was driving it. On the 3rd set of tires, 5th alignment, and 2nd set of ball joints the parents gave me the choice to either lower the truck to stock or get a new truck. My mom went up to Boston to visit family, and my dad and I ended up drooling over the true blue lightning in the Ford showroom and brought it home the next day. Now we're both driving one :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Saw a clip of the L on one of the car shows, (can't remember the name) in the spring of 99. Did a search on the internet, and found a red 99 (it had to be red) in a neiboring state. June of 99 I had one, had other lightnings since, but have always kept the 99.

Brian

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
1993...My recruiter had a brand new red one. I pretty much forgot about them until I got to my squadron in 1995. Two guys in my squadron had white ones, so in 1996 I bought my 1994 cobra. I never regretted buying it, but now she is for sale. Possibly trading for 1989 Saleen SSC 1 of 160 produced.

03CobraBro

Established Member
My parents thought about buying one in 93 when they had first came out. Thats when I had first heard about them.

I actually had forgotten about them though, until 00 when I bought my Dakota R/T thinking it was the fastest production truck at the time. (then I did my homework and discovered it wasnt :nonono: )

Last edited:

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
It never ceases to amaze me that some people still have no idea what an L is. Even 'car guys' who you'd think would know these things! I'm a die hard Ford guy, so I've followed them since the beginning ('93). I wanted a white one badly when they came out later ('95?) and couldn't have it at the time. So, I got a new white '00 to make up for it. (Which I traded it for my blue)

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by ITHAULS
It never ceases to amaze me that some people still have no idea what an L is. Even 'car guys' who you'd think would know these things! I'm a die hard Ford guy, so I've followed them since the beginning ('93). I wanted a white one badly when they came out later ('95?) and couldn't have it at the time. So, I got a new white '00 to make up for it. (Which I traded it for my blue)

Prior to the second gen I can understand why nobody had heard of them. The first gens didnt get much publicity and the 2nd Gen Lightning made a name for itself as the fastest production pickup truck in the world. Now though, no offence to those of you who just found out about the Lightning, I'd almost have to think a person would had to have been living under a rock to not know what a Lightning is.

TrueBlueSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by ITHAULS
It never ceases to amaze me that some people still have no idea what an L is. Even 'car guys' who you'd think would know these things!
I went to a track out in the sticks with some friends who drive stangs last year and put on a little show. I had guys come over to me and ask, "Damn boy, how'd that truck beat that car?" It was great:D

SHOE

Boo-frickety-hoo
Established Member
I'm going to admit, I had seen them, but didn't really think about them much. My brother-in-law bought an '02 Cobra convertable and has since traded to an '03. I had a Dodge Ram 4X4 and had talked about trading it or selling it. He mentioned the L to me. He said "those things are awesome!" I was interested and loved the look of it, but didn't know that much about them. I started "looking" at used ones but was apprehensive. I began doing some research to learn more about them (still have a lot to learn). I finally got the nerve to "drive" one back in October 2003. That was all I needed. It's like a drug. My '04 is on the way. :rockon:

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
In June of 2001 i went to a friends house that races with me in Warner Robbins Ga. I was only 15 at the time so i wasnt aware of the Lightning at the time(I wanted a TT supra at the time). I got to his house and sitting in the garage was what i thought was just any regular f150 with euros and a body kit. Well needless to say he took me for a ride in it and when i got back home the next week i got my 2001 L with 4 miles on it. When i look back im not shure what it would be like having not gotten a L. I was the first L to hit the streets of our town and boy did i catch all the 5.0's, corvettes and camaros off gaurd. They never knew a truck coulb be so fast.

Gambinotdx

Established Member
i was in high school. my family and i were going to Tom's Ford in Keyport if my memory serves me. We were about to cross the street at a light (on foot) and i see a red pickup truck and a corvette lined up next to each other. i ask my dad what kind of truck that is because it didn't look typical. all he said was 'watch this.' the two were revvin' at each other. the light went green and the Gen 1 Lightning outran the vette! i knew at that point in time i was destined to own a Lightning. 7 years later, i own a modded one...dreams DO come true!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread