Votes: 8 20.0%
  • 17" Chrome Anniversary Wheels

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
:OK, been tearing my hair out trying to figure what wheels to go with for the blue car........VOTE!

I know 18's would look better, but I do plan on driving this thing on trips here and there (one of the reasons I bought it) and we all know 18" tires are not cheap.........so I am thinking 18's would just not be practicle.....but they look sooooo good!

Either way I go, there will be 10's out back. The wheel and tire packages I am finding show 285's for the rears on 18x10" wheels, and 265's for 18x9" fronts, but 275 fronts and 315's for 17x10 rears..... AFS gives the same.......dont' want 285's/ 265's, but it's more $$$ to order wheels then buy tires locally.....Tire Rack does not list many options for 18" tires either....

And there's the conundrum! HELP!

Lemme know what you think! :thumbsup:

contentmediaexternalimagesmedia359.jpg

contentmediaexternalimagesmedia365.jpg

Last edited:

WildFifty

Established Member
The price difference between 17's and 18's are huge. lol i just recently found out. if you are planning on driving the car a lot i would suggest sticking with the 17's. It aint fun having to buy 18's every year or two.

TRBO VNM

IMO, 18's or nothing. With different sizes in front and rear, you won't be replacing the fronts that often. The rears will depend on your right foot.

Keep the stockers for trips then and use the 18's for local.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Wait, didn't it come with wheels and tires?! You were gypped! :lol1:

As someone who buys at least one new set of tires a year-sometimes two-I don't look at the cost of tires as being a determining factor. Of course I have four sets of wheels in the garage so I may be a little overboard. But they all get used, and only one set is 18s (though they may go).

If you like the look of the 18s, I'd get them. You're gonna look at your car a lot more than your checkbook.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Do not make the same mistake I did.

I love the looks of 18's and that is what I really wanted, but I talked myself into buying 17's because they cost less.

The whole time I had the 17's I was kicking myself asking why didn't I just pay the extra money and get the nice looking 18's I have always wanted on my Cobra.

I finally ended up selling the 17's and buying a nice set of 18" wheels. If I would have done this in the beginning, instead of trying to save a few bucks, I would have been much happier and saved myself the money I lost on the 17" set of wheels.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Yeah, if you're concerned about the price of tires or gasoline, then an SVT Cobra may not be the best choice in vehicles!

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Go old school and put 15s on it. I hear that's the new hot ticket. Not to mention wheels and tires are lighter and less expensive. And they hook better.

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
I don't care about gas prices or anything, but the cost of replacing the 18" tires is something I DO think about....

The biggest thing deterring me from getting the 18's right now is the lack of available tire sizes.....I really don't want some 265's up front and 285's on the rears of an 18x9/ 18x10.5" setup.....I think I am going to go with the chrome '03's, but I may stick with the 17's just because of tire choice.

AFS offers a decent deal, but with some kind of Verdstien tires......never heard of them. Don't wanna put all this $$$ into suspension then get shitty tires just so I can have 18" bragging rights, lol....:rollseyes:poke::shrug:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
AFS offers a decent deal, but with some kind of Verdstien tires......never heard of them. Don't wanna put all this $$$ into suspension then get shitty tires just so I can have 18" bragging rights, lol....:rollseyes:poke::shrug:

I had a set of Vredestein's and they were excellent tires.

Do some research on them and you will see that there are a lot of great reviews on them.

[youtube_browser]KyWMTiXPbLQ[/youtube_browser]

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Yeah, not doing a drag radial, lol.

Juan, thanks for that link. They told me $844 for KDW's in 275/ 295 35 18. Not bad.

Then I called AFS, they will do $494 for 18x10.5 rear chromes, but are out of the 18x9's and will not get new ones for 4-6 weeks......JEEEEBUS! Can't win here, lol

They will also do 17's with 10's out back and 315's for 1159.......

I also bought some brake stuff today (drilled rotors, better pads, ss lines x4), and am ordering my double-din NAV unit this afternoon.....I know it would not make me as cool, but the 17's are sounding better, hehe.......

jlbush

Established Member
Well this is a good question! I got the 03 cobra reps 17x10.5s in the back and just got it with tires american muscle offered for the free shipping/mounting & balance. They're some cheap sumitomos (130 a piece for 315/35/17), because I wanted NT05s, but they only offered the NT05Rs. I had never (still haven't) seen a cobra with 18" wheels and if I have seen it I didn't notice it. Not saying they wouldn't look better or give it that little bit extra, but I'm not unhappy with what I have.

However, one way to look at it is that rims are only getting bigger and there will be more and more options for 18" tire sizes. Plus, like another person said if you really want 18s, get them! There's nothing worse than settling for something when you know deep down you're not gonna be happy, but only you know how big of a deal that one inch is (That's what she said)

So, 17 or 18s, I don't know man that's a tough call and I can't help much. However, for the rims I think that's much easier 03 Cobra replicas! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread