Wheel paint code.... ??

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Seems like wheel paint codes are very precarious for some reason. Sparing a long story... I have driven people nuts from coast to coast on this and still can't really get a solid answer, which seems strange. Basically I want a paint code for the stock GT wheels on my car. It's a 2011 Mustang GT with the plain old 5 spoke silver painted wheel that is on a million Mustangs.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Yes I know I can take the wheel to a shop and have them hold some chips up to it and try to get close to the color, but I would really like to just get the code... "if it exists somewhere"....

My local ford shop gave me a PPG number... PPG 301444 Argent with the disclaimer, well as near as I can tell this is it.

Digging around on www.paintscratch.com it might be M6280 Argent Metallic.

Anyone know why no one can definitively say what the wheel color and/or paint code is?

SilverCoyote

Established Member
stang910... seriously not trying to be a dick but...... is this an educated guess or have you had some experience using this paint code..... or what makes you say that?

Thanks just the same though..... !!

stang910

Established Member
Well not to be an ass, but why should I explain to you how I came up with the paint code when you respond to the only person that was trying to help you out with the above post? The fact that you had to point out that you wasn't trying to be a dick implies you were in fact being a dick.

If only there was somebody on this forum that wanted to help you out and could actually see the formulas of dark neutral metallic, black foundry metallic, sparkle silver metallic, argent metallic, and charcoal gray metallic.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Seriously....?? lol... again I just wanted to see if that was a guess. As you could see from my post, my local ford bodyshop couldn't give me a definite answer and paintscratch.com couldn't either. I need to paint some wheels and I don't want to shoot in the dark having paint mixed etc then it not be the right color. Hence, the whole reason for my post. I truly appreciate you answering but you said.... "I think the one your looking for is M6389A". I tried to in a nice way ask if you were guessing like my dealership and paintscratch was or maybe you had some actual dealings with the paint/code having the paint mixed etc.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Okay...so far I have

PPG 301444 Argent
M6280 Argent Metallic
M6389A

Any other guesses..? Next I'll do some trial and error and see which one works. I'll post my findings when I'm finished......

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Going to do one wheel as a test. It is the gloss black American Muscle GT replica wheel 18x10. I scuffed the entire wheel with the "Scotch Brite Gray Ultra Fine"

http://www.amazon.com/20Pk-Scotch-Brite-Gray-Ultra/dp/B000CQ6I7G

Since the wheel is black I wanted to put a light base down first. I used VHT Engine Enamel "SP995 Cast Aluminum". It is similar to the color I want in the end. Just waiting for the M6389A to arrive (rattle can).

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Okay... I would post pics but I don't think your going to be able to see the comparison that great. I received the M6389A from Scratch Wizard. I was not impressed with it compared to the stock wheel paint. I didn't see any metal flake at all in it. I actually sprayed over it with the VHT Engine Enamel "SP995 Cast Aluminum". It is much closer to the stock wheel paint. It's not an exact match, but pretty close.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
ScrewedUp... I have crossed paths with numerous people of all sorts of skill levels and for some reason, no one can actually give me a code and say...this is definitely it. You will usually get a story like.... everyone including the car manufacturer subs the wheel manufacture/painting scenario out, so that is why they cant really give you the paint code. I DONT KNOW THIS TO BE FACTUAL...!!! LOL... But..... it does seem strange that no one can give you the paint code, so that could be true. Something like, whoever paints the wheel, will name the color something and then if that's all you have you wont really be able to get the paint mixed without some type of real code from someone.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
It sort of seemed like what most also said (even some larger Ford dealerships) was to bring the wheel to their paint guy. He will have some books with actual paints chips in it, and he will be able to match it that way. The digital picture thing of trying to compare paints isn't going to work well. I mean, looking at paint colors on computer and trying to compare them that way.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
VHT Engine Enamel "SP995 Cast Aluminum" This is the color I'm going with. You can't mix and match wheels with this color on the same car but it's pretty close to the factory color, you can even see some metal flake in it. Going to paint 4 wheels this color. Going to clear coat them as well.....

kbmag1

Established Member
Nice effort. Hard to understand but I do not believe that there are paint codes for any Ford wheel. I've tried finding paint codes to two other Fords that I have. I haven't been successful either in finding the color to brembo wheels.

SilverCoyote

Established Member
20150717_174518.jpeg

Top wheel is factory finish, bottom wheel is painted VHT Engine Enamel "SP995 Cast Aluminum" then clearcoated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread