Wheel hop?? Not this time..

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
They are pretty new. They may have about 4K miles on them. I would say about 85% tread left. On another note. I took it back out again this morning and tried everything I could do to get it to hop, and it just wouldn't. I am very happy with this turn of events.

-Jeff

I'm no expert, but IMHO I think the biggest mistake some people make when lowering their car is to select springs based solely on how they look, not how they perform. I've been running H&R Race Springs on both of my Cobras and hardly ever experience any wheel hop. I think some of the springs out there that people are using that make the car sit lower are just too soft, once you induce a little bit of hop into the spring, they are just too soft to keep from acting like a pogo stick.

vipergts281

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
They are pretty new. They may have about 4K miles on them. I would say about 85% tread left. On another note. I took it back out again this morning and tried everything I could do to get it to hop, and it just wouldn't. I am very happy with this turn of events.

-Jeff
Pics!! :poke: :cuss:

:beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That is one theory, but the stock springs that I am using now are softer than the Eibachs that I took off of it. I think it came down to them being to stiff and preventing proper weight transfer to the rear, thus causing the tires to have terrible traction. I am able to get traction from a dig much sooner now than when I did with the eibachs as well, and the temps are even colder. So once the temps are warm again it should even be better.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Here are some quick low quality pics of the car. I did not use the flash, so I just set the exposure rate to compensate for low light. This sometimes leaves things a bit on the grainy side. It is extrememly dirty, so please ignore it. When I took it out for the test drives I had to run through some puddles. Plus it has been sitting in the garage and has not been washed since November. I didn't put the cover on it because it was dirty, and I never got around to washing it before the weather turned cold.

-Jeff

149293.jpg

149294.jpg

149295.jpg

149296.jpg

149297.jpg

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The measurement from the ground to the fender for those that look at that measurement is now 26.75 inches.

98Rsnake

Grease Monkey
Established Member
your calipers look great, what kind of paint did you use and how did you mask off the cobra letters? and did you prep them in any way before you painted them, any primer or stripper or sanding?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I used non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, then I lightly sanded everything down. Next I used two light coats of ceramic base Primer, then Three light coats of FORD RED ceramic paint, and two light coats of Ceramic clear.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have a special way of masking the letters. I just sharpen a stick of chap-stick, and go over the letters. After the paint cures I then just rub it clean.

vipergts281

Established Member
2 things.

1) You call that dirty? Haha.

2) Perfect height!

Btw, maybe I missed it. But what springs are in the front? Still the Eibachs?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yep, still the eibachs in front. I was worried that it would handle poorly in the curves, but it actually seems to be a bit more nimble. It may just be in my head, but I took a few quick runs through a very curvy area close by and it seemed like it handled better than when I had eibachs in all four corners. It felt as though the font end was not plowing through the curves as much.

-Jeff

vipergts281

Established Member
98Rsnake said:
good idea with the chap stick!
Another idea is to just paint over the letters, then come back and sand the paint off. I did that on mine and it worked perfectly. Now the COBRA on the calipers is nice and shiny.

Either way would work.

Here is pics of how I did it. The paint comes off fairly easy using the sandpaper, so it didn't take long to do. I just masked off around the letters just in case I slipped up.

DSC04751.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC04759.jpg

Last edited:

venmos1

Established Member
badass looking ride hissman. after reading this im highly thinking about cutting my stock springs. I hear a lot of people doing it and not having any problems. then you read about those who say "dont be cheap, buy good springs". so are there any cons to cutting the stock springs? and 3/4" cut from bottom off front and back with isos back in is the route to take? also read that rear sits higher than front so 7/8" cut off rear is preferred.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The cut stock springs feel a lot better than the Eibachs did. And after I cut the eibachs they felt like hell.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Nah, she wouldn't know what to do with it. I can't even talk her into getting better wheels. :)

Users who are viewing this thread