wheel got damged at installer, happen to you? what came of it?

i want boost

Established Member
So to keep it short, brand new set of rims one gout scratched/gouged at a discount tire store. The closed when I picked it up so will contact them tomorrow.

It was obviously from the tire mount machine. 4 sets of attaches about and 1.25-1.5 inches apart 90 regress apart like they did not close the jaws well before pulling the wheel off
Looking for people that have gone through this particularly at a discount tire, but any establishment really to see how your experiance went.

Zemedici

Established Member
Tire 'tech' at my brothers store dropped the wheel on it's face in front of me, manager bought me a wheel, I bought it and he gave me cash to reimburse me. Just a pain in the ass

BV600

Established Member
Happened to a friend of mine on his 20s. They offered to buy him a new wheel.

Tommy Z

Established Member
While this hasn't happened to me, it is something I'm guilty of doing once. I've worked at Discount Tire for ~5 years. In every case I've seen or heard of, the store took care of it no questions asked. As stated earlier, it is a pain but these things happen.

StangingAround

Established Member
Demand a new wheel or free tires. Do no accept anything less like I did one time. Try to be nice though because some of those douches get attitudes quick.

i want boost

Established Member
Sounds good, I could care less that it happened, I can still drive on it. But don't plan on mounting them till the weekend anyhow. I just want it right is my only concern

i want boost

Established Member
Demand a new wheel or free tires. Do no accept anything less like I did one time. Try to be nice though because some of those douches get attitudes quick.

Don't plan on it, it is aluminum so shouldn't rust, but don't want the finish to deteriorate in those locations in the next few years

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
This scares the crap out of me as my wheels are discontinued. I would flip if something happened to my BBS RKs

JasonSnake

Established Member
I guess the best thing to do is to next time, take your car to one of those small tire shops that mount rubberbands on 24" rims. You know they have specialized machines to do that kind of work and also do their best not to blemish your wheels. IMO

Adiabatik

Banned
I had mine installed at Pep Boys. They scratched on of my wheels, their response was that their machines don't handle deep dish wheels very well.

Anyways, they reimbursed me for a new wheel

clean92lx

Established Member
This is why I always mention that my wheels are flawless and please be careful not to scratch any of them before they even touch the wheels. Have the tech/manager inspect the wheels to verify there are no blemishes first, that way if something happens, you'll be covered.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
discount tire is good about paying for repairs or replacements

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
My dad and I brought his E46 M3 to Just Tires to get 2 new continentals put on the front 18'' rims. I went by myself to pick it up, and when I got home I noticed a gouge on the outer lip of both front rims (same mark).

I called my dad and told him. I brought it back, and the manager tried to demonstrate to me with a 16'' wheel that there is no way the machine could do that. I know how it happened. When you bring the neck down the the face of the wheel to get the "shoe horn" thing just above the wheel to put the tire on. Well the "tech" must have slammed it down on the lip instead of gently placing it there and pulling the lever.

Long story short they only offered to pay for half of the repairs, but my dad declined because of the dissatisfaction.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hopefully the manager will work with you. As recommended, state your case, but be nice. I would bet you'll end up with a new wheel.

gmtech

Grease Monkey
Established Member
I guess the best thing to do is to next time, take your car to one of those small tire shops that mount rubberbands on 24" rims. You know they have specialized machines to do that kind of work and also do their best not to blemish your wheels. IMO

This unfortunately is the truth. The tire shop will have to buy you a new rim

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
NTB hammered on wheel weights as the tires were spinning on there balance machine on our 2003 GT that had polished wheels after I asked them to put on tape weights. All 4 wheels were scratched and deeply gouged all the way around when we went to pick them up. I spoke with the manager and he sent all 4 wheels off to wheel tech to be redone and refunded some money on the cost of the tires. Worked out in the end, but I haven't been back to NTB since.

Twisted2v

Established Member
I had an issue with a donk/rim store as no one else could remove a sumitomo off a 10.5" rim. They spent hours trying to remove it. Used multiple tire cut off wheels. Somehow the dish was gouged. I didn't have to pay for labor.

I figured it wasn't worth the hassle for a new wheel. I was driving back to school the next day. If it was a newer wheel or I didn't go away for college I'd ask for a new one. I'd hate to see them get fired for it. They tried their best not to damage it being the width it was. We all make mistakes.

i want boost

Established Member
update

Just dropped it off, manager didn't look at it, first day back and can barely talk, but he first suggested, I go but a scuff pad or something and touch up paint, sounded like 15 bucks out of my pocket for a pefectky good wheel I just paid for. Well I asked what about the burrs, of raised up aluminum, so he just asked to leave it with them and they will "repair" it. So I will see what come of it this afternoon, I will mention the 5 year warranty the shell "had" and if he will cover that

SpectorV

Established Member
I worry about this type of thing as well.... my wheels cost much more than average to replace but the one thing is that they are polished so small scratches can be repaired if needed :(

deadhorse

WCMF-38
Established Member
If you have nice rims and care about them tape them up to protect them before tires are mounted,I use duct tape on the outer rim lip and masking tape on the rest also make sure the installer is the best one at the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread