What's y'all opinion about upgrading the transmission pan when doing a VB swap?

Upgrading the trans pan is

• Not a bad thing to do just unneccessary, and a waste of money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jroc

Established Member
As the title says.

About a 1 to 1.5 years ago I bought a Punisher VB from a former L owner who bought the VB from Paul but never got around to putting it in his truck before he ended up selling it. Apparently he had Paul set it up to shift slightly less firm than his "Street VB,", but obviously more aggressive than a OEM VB. After having it sit for a few years he decided to sell it so I got a brand new Punisher VB shipped to my door for $100. It seems I'm no better than it's old owner in not getting it installed. lol

Anyways what I'm wanting to know is is it really worth upgrading the pan or is that just a needless expense? This will be a OEM or OEM replacement pan and not an expensive aftermarket pan. My truck it retain it's factory ride height also BTW.

I've seen some argue that it's a waste as the fluid temps will eventually reach the same temps it will just take longer for the more fluid volumes to get there, and I don't disagreed with that. At the same time more fluid will last longer before breaking down, and with the bigger 4x4 pan you get a drain plug. Still my truck has over 116,000 miles on it so how many more times will I actually have to maintenance the tranny(assuming it doesn't break) or change it's fluid? My guess is it's never had it fluid in it change.

I don't plan on flushing the whole system as I don't want to risk messing it up, so how many quarts should I buy to replace the fluid that is lost during the change? Also does DORMAN make good OEM replacement parts? Most places are selling a DORMAN pan instead of the Motorcraft pan, but they are also about $26 instead of $40-$45 for the Motorcraft piece.

If I stay with the OEM 2x4 pan what should I buy? I'm guessing a new filter, oil to replace what is lost in the change, maybe a gasket kit or anything like that?

steeltoe

Established Member
The gasket is reusable. I had the 4x4 pan on my L and it was worth the cheap insurance of keeping trans temps down.

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Just throw a B&M drain plug in the stock pan and call it a day. Not as low-hanging as the 4x4 pan so there's less chance of ripping it out should you decide to go lower later and you have the option of going with the Stiffler's chassis brace, which you can't do with the Moroso and deeper pans.

Redneckgearhead

Established Member
I didn't buy the 4x4 pan, I just installed a vb last week (similiar story as yours lol) 8 qts is what I had to put in it. I plan on adding a power stroke cooler later, I think that would be a better option.

2001SVTTRUCK

Established Member
I have the Morosso trans pan on my truck and it sits above the transmission and engine cross members. Nice little drain plug in the back too. Last time I changed fluid I think it took about 12-14qts.

Slider

aka=Brad
Established Member
^^^Same here. Thats what I did when I had my Lightning. Went with a Morosso. Looks great under the truckk too!

speed3198

BEWARE the Jabberwocky!!
Established Member
Ive got the finned aluminum ford racing deep pan with the plug on the bottom. Before you refill you should get a magnetic drain plug! I love the look and lower temps longer and cleaner fluid equals longer life in tranny! And even though the gasket is reusable, think about the age, mileage and heat cycles its been through.

George C

Established Member
got a punisher VB waiting to be installed but chose to go the route of trickflow deep pan. Extra fluid is always a benefit for cooling, also picked up a F250 transcooler to go along with it. Keeping the trans cools is one of the best things you can do to help save the life of it

Jroc

Established Member
got a punisher VB waiting to be installed but chose to go the route of trickflow deep pan. Extra fluid is always a benefit for cooling, also picked up a F250 transcooler to go along with it. Keeping the trans cools is one of the best things you can do to help save the life of it

Good sir please tell me more about this TFS pan. I see it says it's for 2WD vehicle, but I don't see why that would matter really as it hold more fluid that the OEM 4WD pan. It looks sumped like the 4x4 pan, but also has it's drain plug positioned pointed down like the 4x4 pan. I wonder how it's ride height compares to the OEM 4x4 pan? It also looks to come with a filter and gasket?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have the Morosso trans pan on my truck and it sits above the transmission and engine cross members. Nice little drain plug in the back too. Last time I changed fluid I think it took about 12-14qts.

Moroso is the way I'd go. I had one but sole it before installing it because it wouldn't work with my Kenny Brown X-Factor brace.

I've never been a fan of the 4x4 pan, seen too many lowered trucks puncture them.

George C

Established Member
Good sir please tell me more about this TFS pan. I see it says it's for 2WD vehicle, but I don't see why that would matter really as it hold more fluid that the OEM 4WD pan. It looks sumped like the 4x4 pan, but also has it's drain plug positioned pointed down like the 4x4 pan. I wonder how it's ride height compares to the OEM 4x4 pan? It also looks to come with a filter and gasket?

fan is much larger then the 4wd in comparison, i like aluminum pans as they dont tend to tweak the flange when tightning like steel pans

heres a pic of the TF

2012-11-01_16-04-32_273.gif

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I used the 4x4 pan and like the drain plug on it.
With every other oil change, I would drain the trans fluid in the pan and then add 6-7 fresh quarts.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I have the 4X4 pan but i'm not slammed so no need to worry about hitting the drain plug on something.

Users who are viewing this thread