Whats up with fords horsepower ratings?

chrisheltra

Established Member
I was checking out fords hp ratings for the 5.0 and they say on regular gas that the car is rated at 402hp and with premium its rated at 412hp. How does the car know what gas you have in the tank. I didnt think gas itself could raise the hp but it allows you to safely raise the timing or lean out the a/f to increase hp. How are they doing it?

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I was checking out fords hp ratings for the 5.0 and they say on regular gas that the car is rated at 402hp and with premium its rated at 412hp. How does the car know what gas you have in the tank. I didnt think gas itself could raise the hp but it allows you to safely raise the timing or lean out the a/f to increase hp. How are they doing it?

I think it has to do with the new tivct and computer, it can read depending on fuel you put in the tank, the timing and octane diff = more power.:shrug:

YellowShaker03

I Am Black Jesus
Established Member
I always thought with higher compression motors that require premium fuel (91 or better) it was because of detonation and performance so I don't see why the new Mustang would be any different.
I even think that my car says in the book that "for optimum performance premium fuel is required" so I take it as you can run a lower grade fuel (at the risk of knocking and other issues) and get worse fuel economy and power.
Like people said above the computer is just pulling timing back to avoid the engine from going boom.

Driver72

Established Member
This has been the case with many cars for quite some time now.
Ford is just finally catching up with the times and making a car designed for premium fuel have computer adjustments to lower power for anything less than 91 octane.
Some cars (like my BMW 335i's) worked the other way too.
It was designed for 91 Octane but put in 93 Octane and within a few WOT pulls you'd get 4-5 rwhp more on a stock motor.
Use 100 Octane and it would increase a few more.
It seemed like 95-96 Octane was the max octane the ECU would adjust for on a stock car. Of course the aftermarket tuners allowed more where the difference between 91 and 100 Octane would result in 20-25 rwhp.

it's necessary anyway, as they don't want engine problems occuring from people who "accidentally" put in 87 Octane, or have a wife who might drive the car and not know any better put in 87 Octane, or be on a trip only to come across a lone gas station that is out of 91 or 93 Octane and you have to put in 89 or 87.
Or just have a cheap skate who doesn't want to spend the extra $2-3 a tank to put in premium.

Having the ECU adjust down for those circumstances protects the engine and in the long run saves Ford money on warranty claims if engine damage occurs over 40-50k miles of using subpar gas.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Basically what is said below.

93 octane no knock detected = full power

lower octane and knock detected = reduced timing = reduced power

The computer will continue to add timing until it detects knock. It's a great system that will allow you to take advantage of better quality fuel when it is available.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Everyone is pretty much right. The higher the octane the better quality the gas thus increasing performance. Elimates engine damage and keeps the engine safe. Anyone who buys a new mustang and cant afford 93+ needs to rethink it. Like my 03 cobra, anything less than 93 esp with boost increaded like i have runs the risk of some serious damage. My car however doesnt adjust so im SOL if that happends. Ford is getting smarter with its new cars. Besides 87 burns really dirty. I dont even use that in my lawnmovers! lol

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Everyone is pretty much right. The higher the octane the better quality the gas thus increasing performance. Elimates engine damage and keeps the engine safe. Anyone who buys a new mustang and cant afford 93+ needs to rethink it. Like my 03 cobra, anything less than 93 esp with boost increaded like i have runs the risk of some serious damage. My car however doesnt adjust so im SOL if that happends. Ford is getting smarter with its new cars. Besides 87 burns really dirty. I dont even use that in my lawnmovers! lol

93 should really burn dirtier in lawnmowers because they are designed for 87.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member

Ford has been using knock sensors a long time. However on lightning and 03/04 cobras they could not use it cause the pd eaton s/c made too much noise for the knock sensors to work. All the cobra and lightning have is it uses the iat sensors to cut timing hence the term heat soak came about and it wasn't just cause the air got hot also the ecu cut timing when the air got hot. I would guess mine stock would lose probably 25 rwhp. A tuner person can modify that if he believes you aren't a dumb azz. So that's the rest of the story....

The new like coyote has newer sensors that will work I hear w a pd s/c like the gt350 has. That's 11/1 compression and you need 93 for max. pwr imagine then 5/6# boost and having a warranty w say 87 oct fuel. No way w/o knock sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread